PDA

View Full Version : 20 Mb

bluenoseant
14-10-2007, 18:21
hello there , i have virgin media basic tv phone and 2mb which is 3 for £30 i want to keep that package but upgrade to the xl broadband ,which is 20 mb becasue i need to download from newsgroup's on a fast connection can i keep the 3 for 30 and just upgrade to 20 mb just pay extra on top ? thanks

ultimate
14-10-2007, 19:16
Before you do, you better read the posts in this forum regarding download speed, some of us who are on 4mb or 20mb aren't getting half the speed we paid for during weekends and evening.

ZebUK
14-10-2007, 19:28
Forget evenings and weekends my line speed is crap nearly all the time.

I have to get up early (about 6am) and even then it doesn't last much into the morning. Was dead slow again by 11am this morning.

Screw Virgin Media - I'm leaving and taking my money elsewhere.

bluenoseant
14-10-2007, 19:30
thanks for heads i just wanna know if i can do it?

ZebUK
14-10-2007, 19:36
You're better off staying where you are if your download speeds are OK and you're happy with them.

I've got a 20Mb line (brand new, two days ago) and my maximum download speed most of the day is about 40KB/s which is less than a half meg line.

xspeedyx
14-10-2007, 19:36
yes you can do it you will be charged £17 extra a month and pro rates on your first bill and you if u decide to go back to ur 2mb the price will still be 3for£30 dont worry about upgrading as you can just uopgrade and keep it the same when u downgrade £47 a month for xl tv,xl bb,m phone not bad

good luck with speeds as some people not everyone gets some bad speeds but test it for a month and dont forget to optimize ur connection there are many theards here on how to do that

bluenoseant
14-10-2007, 19:37
i really need to as im downloading on newsgroups im getting one of them new macs also lmao

ZebUK
14-10-2007, 19:39
The thing is, if you increase your line speed to 20Mb and download you won't have a 20Mb line any more - understand? You will actually downgrade to a half meg line which is quarter of the speed you have now.

Do you really want to pay more and receive less?

|Kippa|
14-10-2007, 19:42
My 20mbit connection downloads at 19mbit all the time, worth the jump so long as your connection is alright. Definetly worth it if you have access to commercial newsgroups.

ZebUK
14-10-2007, 19:43
This is the speed of my 20Mb connection:

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/10/19.png

bluenoseant
14-10-2007, 19:45
so i just tell them i sitll want 3 for 30 but i want to be upgraded to 20 mb which think is another 19 pound so my bill will be 49?

ZebUK
14-10-2007, 19:49
Before you make any advances forward increasing your line speed make sure that you can change back if you're not happy - don't let them stick you with a deal you're not happy with.

Virgin Media are crap. I used to work for Telewest years ago as an installer and had their services myself.

I'm calling them first thing tomorrow and cancelling everything and going elsewhere before 7 days are up!

TimIgoe
14-10-2007, 19:54
I've got a 20Mb line (brand new, two days ago) and my maximum download speed most of the day is about 40KB/s which is less than a half meg line.I got a new 20Mb line a few days ago too - I'm impressed with it - able to get virtually max speed.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/10/20.png

ZebUK
14-10-2007, 19:56
Consider yourselves very lucky!

Zoolook
15-10-2007, 05:13
You're better off staying where you are if your download speeds are OK and you're happy with them.

I've got a 20Mb line (brand new, two days ago) and my maximum download speed most of the day is about 40KB/s which is less than a half meg line.

Somthing not right with your speed at all bud.

Couple of things to check tho before you Kung fu them Down.

Check to see if the Modem that you have is ok with a 20mb line, because they say that some modems work with it, but they dont properly.

I`ll give you an exmaple... i have a modem that can transfer up to 512k a second, thats just over a 4Mb service ( 480k a second ) which i was on before.

I am now on a 20Mb service and get 240k a second thats somthing like a 2mb service.

I have a new Modem being sent to me , so i`ll have to wait and see if it gets better when it comes, and if it does then there is somthing about 20mb lines the way it transfers to older Modems.

Check router if you have one, a friend of mine about 5 months ago was having speeds problems could not work out whats it was, he phoned them up they said its all looks ok from there end, and the chance had it he was getting a new router, a Netgeear with all blue flashing lights on it and stuff, and then boom, the speed flew up to the proper speed.

Hope some of this makes sense or helps.

---------- Post added at 05:13 ---------- Previous post was at 04:27 ----------

After writing this post, i thought i would ring Broadband Tech Support up, just to confirm that i was getting a 20Mb service.

Cut a long story short, my account is set to a 20Mb service, but when he did a speed test he saw that it was set to a 2Mb and went on to say i would love to put it right at this momemt but i cant, i need confirmation from customer service.

Bare in mind tho i have already rang Broadband Tech Support about 6 times this week, cant understand why they didnt pick up on it then.

I will be claiming the calls charge back as its not my error, i already got Free National Calls, Half Price International and Mobile Calls for Life dew to there mess ups back in March.

So i need to wait until Customer Services opens its early hours in the morning here.

I urge people to call Broadband Tech even if its 25p a min, at least you can get it back if its there mess up, some people are put off by the charge rate, but atleast you can get to know whats going on with your speed and stuff, that Customer Service cant give you there and then, because most of them dont know what a kilobyte is.

Thing that i have come accross with Broadband Tech Support is, ask the right questions and you will get the right answers, then you take your Kung Fu to Customer Services.

Im just practicing a few spinning back flip round house kicks while i wait for Customer Services to open. :D

ZebUK
15-10-2007, 06:19
I've checked the modem speeds in the panel and it reads:
Down Bit Rate: 20480000 bits/sec
Up Bit Rate: 768000 bits/sec

The modem is a Scientific Atlanta 2100