PDA

View Full Version : BB Down Think my Modem is broken

sherer
12-10-2007, 11:49
OK have the saga of my V+ Box going down I have now had no BB for 2 days either.

I think the SACM is broken but thought I would run it past here for some advice.

We are meant to be having an engineer visit today but with VM you never know if they will actually turn up or not.

Basically when the STB crashed and it was rebooted the BB went down too. After taking the card out of the STB and rebooting then placing it back we got the TV working but still no BB.

I connect via a router but at the moment I can't ping the cable modem at 192.169.100.1 even if i take the router out and connect straight to it I still can't ping it.

i tried on 3 machines, one of which hasn't been on for several months so it's not a virus prob or anything.

I tried using the Virgin CD to repair the install and with that running I can get it to the state where I can ping the modem at 192.168.100.1 but the CD says it can't connect to the cable modem.

Anyone got any ideas.

On the cable modem i only have the synch light and the ethernet light on

0049ner
12-10-2007, 13:24
If the ready light is off or blinking then its a line fault I think

sherer
15-10-2007, 16:42
ok made a bit more progress now but still something wrong. need to ring faults but not had time today.

here's the latest.

if I connect straight to the cable modem i can get an IP and if I rebooted the cable modem a few times I can get on the net for 30 mins before it will cut out on some.

Sometimes i looks HTTP but bittorent seems ok and NNTP is very very slow or not there at all.

If I connect via the router nothing happens at all i can't even ping the cable modem half the time.

I would say it was my router but even when i connect via the SACM although I can get an IP it's about as fast as dialup and the SACM needs to be rebooted every so often or the connection goes. I can't always ping the SACM either so i'm sure there is a bigger fault there.