PDA

View Full Version : New install doesn't - error 611

rayd
12-10-2007, 11:29
Before I cancel my Virgin Media broadband before it's even installed ...

What is Error: 611 ?

I was supposed to have broadband installed this afternoon, but a very surly guy called at 8.30 this morning, just as I was about to go out. He did his bit and left the modem connected and the lights lit.

I'm installing it by ethernet via a router. Router is connected to the PC.

I've had no paperwork from VM so I rang customer support and got my PIN and username (my surname in lower case)

I put the CD in the computer and entered details as requested, fine up to the point of choosing a username and password for email account. It offers me a name, which I accept and I put in a password of 6 lowercase letters and a number. It chunters away and comes up with my account - fine to that point.

I then click on NEXT and it trys to reach the registration server but can't, quoting error 611.

Customer services can't/won/t help and I have to ring a premium number.

Premium number 0906 212 1111 doesn't answer!

So, what do I do next? No help from VM, so maybe help from someone here? I tried searching the forums for error 611 but it refuses as 611 doesn't have enough characters.

What does error 611 mean?

username offered in <deleted>@ - which I accepted.

What must the format of the username be? Must is be something.something, or can it be without a full stop? The help box merely says it must be between 6 and 10 characters and doesn't mention the full stop.

Please help before I ring up and cancel - this must be the worst company on earth to be with and I wish I hadn't signed up in the first place. I thought with Richard Branson at the helm it would be OK, but so far it's a disaster.

Ray D

MovedGoalPosts
12-10-2007, 12:39
Regrettably, all broadband support is provided via the 0906 number you have been given. They do answer eventually (you're not being charged until they do), but I myself have been waiting for over 5 minutes before they deign to pick up. If the fault is VM created then they should refund the cost of the call as a credit to your account.

Installers unfortunately do just bring you the kit and plug it in. They don't set anything up.

When first establishing your account use the computer connected direct to the modem. Don't use the router until you know it's working correctly.

If you call broadband support, you must not be using the router - a direct connection between PC and modem is required. VM don't "support" routers, as in offer help on their setup, so that just throws a spanner in the works when you phone.

rayd
12-10-2007, 14:51
After a third conversation with India - the first two didn't have a clue - I now have it registered. The problem was apparently that my cable modem MAC hadn't been registered on the VM database and no one in Customer Services, or the first two guys in India, knew how to do it.

I'm just hoping I don't regret signing up with VM. I'll see what happens over the next two weeks.

Cheers,

Ray D