PDA

View Full Version : Installation in another room

lcmatt
11-10-2007, 23:31
When I moved into this house I noticed a small box in one of the bedrooms in which an Ethernet cable plugs into (Cable goes outside and down into the box on the wall) but it doesn't do anything and was wondering if Virgin could place another one of those boxes downstairs so I could plug an Ethernet cable into my router then another cable upstairs to my secondary PC?

Hopefully you'll be able to make sense in what I'm talking about, in short I want internet access upstairs but my router is too far for a long trailing cable, so surely the small box must be for that?

Also has anyone got an idea on how much it would cost for Virgin to come out and do this?

nopcode
11-10-2007, 23:48
An ethernet connecting box that goes to the cable outside? Are you sure its not a phone line with an adsl filter or something?

Or do you mean that theres a digibox or a cable modem in there thats been left behind?

As for the extra connector downstairs why not just buy a cheap wireless router and save on messy cables!

regards.

MovedGoalPosts
11-10-2007, 23:58
Ethernet cables can be up to 100m in length. On that basis a wired connection from a router to just about anywhere in even a larger house is achievable.

If you have a RJ45 (ethernet) socket on a wall in one room, can you not follow the wire to it's other end? Has the other end been cut off / removed by a previous owner of a house?

It's very unlikely that Virgin Media (ntl / telewest or predecessor companies) would have installed ethernet cabling in a house. Ethernet cabling is normally something done by a home owner. The only cabling that Virgin Media would install would be the co-axial to the locations of Modems or TV Set Top Boxes, and telephone wires (usually only to the master socket, occasionally as extensions).

darkrage
13-10-2007, 15:43
hi - i got vm to put a network connection/ethernet upstairs it cost me £75.00 for the engineer to do it.