PDA

View Full Version : PS3 and Xbox 360 on Virgin Cable

zrerz
11-10-2007, 15:12
Hi,

I'm moving home soon, to a cabled area in Warrington, does anyone know if this 20meg deal is OK for use on the PS3 and Xbox consoles?

I use the PS3 down in living room, my eldest son uses the 360 elite upstairs, and my 13 year old uses the standard Xbox 360 premium, so all 3 machines will sometimes be in use at the same time, so wondering if anyone knew of any problems i might encounter?

Cheers in advance for any help

dragon
11-10-2007, 15:25
Hi,

I'm moving home soon, to a cabled area in Warrington, does anyone know if this 20meg deal is OK for use on the PS3 and Xbox consoles?

I use the PS3 down in living room, my eldest son uses the 360 elite upstairs, and my 13 year old uses the standard Xbox 360 premium, so all 3 machines will sometimes be in use at the same time, so wondering if anyone knew of any problems i might encounter?

Cheers in advance for any help

You might get Errors about the NAT not being open sometimes in on the 360's presumably because it can only map the ports to one of the consoles... But then again Halo says that sometimes when the xbox connection test shows it as open :rolleyes: It helps tho have UPNP enabled on the router so the 360's can map ports as needed.

Dunno about the PS3 as we don't have any (YET! ;) ) but I've had 3 xbox 360's running halo3 on my ADSL connection without any problems (apart from the above mentioned NAT error message from halo occasionally)

I have 8128kps (7150kps usable) down and 448kps up and I believe VM's 20Mbit is 20down 512kps up???? So I can't see a reason for it not to work unless your playing a game that hogs all the upstream bandwidth ;).

If you don't mind shelling out for one, a router that supports QOS is worth having since you can prioritise the gaming traffic on the upstream , so that if someone trys to hammer it with p2p or whatever it usually doesn't kill your ping :D

Can't control the downstream with Qos obviously or control the priority of the packets once they leave your modem since that's no longer your network. but it does help somewhat since the router would then send out the gaming packets before anything else ;)

zrerz
11-10-2007, 15:31
Thanks for that Dragon.

southwell
11-10-2007, 16:20
PS3 runs perfectly, my mate has his on Virgin and i have mine on Sky. I have found a difference with routers though, my Belkin (nat 2) put more restrictions on my nat than my new netgear one (nat 3).....i think the numbers are right, not 100% though :P

dragon
11-10-2007, 16:58
PS3 runs perfectly, my mate has his on Virgin and i have mine on Sky. I have found a difference with routers though, my Belkin (nat 2) put more restrictions on my nat than my new netgear one (nat 3).....i think the numbers are right, not 100% though :P

The biggest issue will be down to network congestion and how demanding on the upstream the games being played are.

Some games seem to have more efficient network code than others

dafry
11-10-2007, 17:43
pot luck im afraid in my opinion.i had the 20 meg package and could not host more than 6 people on rainbow 6 vegas!!!tried everything engineers out, direct to modem etc etc.months of hassle this was with speeds of 15meg and upload of 700.
mates were managing to do 12 to 14 players comfortably on bt with 2 meg and uploads of 300!! bizzare

dragon
11-10-2007, 17:53
pot luck im afraid in my opinion.i had the 20 meg package and could not host more than 6 people on rainbow 6 vegas!!!tried everything engineers out, direct to modem etc etc.months of hassle this was with speeds of 15meg and upload of 700.
mates were managing to do 12 to 14 players comfortably on bt with 2 meg and uploads of 300!! bizzare

Forgot to say mines BT but that shouldn't really make much difference.

I play my brother at various online games on xbox and pc he uses a 4mbit VM cable connection and it usually works fine (when it doesn't its usually down to the pc's playing up :rolleyes:)