PDA

View Full Version : Broken Modem

Nuke_Eater
11-10-2007, 12:16
Been a VM customer for about 3 months now. Last week our modem seems to have died. We have no net connection and none of the lights on the modem are on at all. So I rang the number we were given and was directed to their new broadband support line. We only have broadband from vm so this support line is going to cost £1 a minute! Well we thought we'd grin and bare it so long as the call was short. Neither my housemate nor myself can dial the number as our networks wont let us. I think it's a premium rate thing. Same with the phones at work. I cant find any other way of contacting them.
We need a replacement modem or our current one fixed.
Any ideas.
I live in London, the old system was ntl i believe. There is an old ntl modem that was left by the people before us. Is there any way we could use this?
Not sure what the modem we have is but it was part of the kit virgin sent us when we signed up.
Is there another number we could ring or an email address or anything? The website was no help at all.
Cheers

fatassmichael
11-10-2007, 12:23
:welcome: Nuke-Eater, You can use the newsgroup virginmedia.support.broadband.cable

Instuctions for how to use and set up are here http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/newsgroups/

I dont think the old modem would work, as it has to be registered on your account.

Nuke_Eater
11-10-2007, 12:28
Unfortunately the only internet access that I have is at work and we cant access newgroups from here.

Paul K
11-10-2007, 12:55
You can't use the old modem and you will need to find a workaround for calling the number otherwise you will not get a replacement modem.

Nuke_Eater
11-10-2007, 13:01
Okay, well will be visiting the folks next weekend so i suppose I could use their landline. Any idea how long the call is liekly to take? Dont want to run up a huge bill on their line.

MovedGoalPosts
11-10-2007, 13:54
The phone number for broadband faults is 0906 212 1111. That has a 10p connect charge and 25p per minute call charge from landlines. Supposedly it's refundable by a credit on your account, if the fault is VM equipment related.

If you have been told it's a £1.00 per minute rate, the number you may be calling is for general help with computer problems, that aren't necessarily internet related.

The last call I had to make to it lasted 10 minutes. Bear in mind that the agent on the other hand may well need you to reboot the modem, and try other things as directed by them, so realistically you need to be at your serviced property when you call.

If you have some form of call barring on your home phone, or mobile (which would cost more than landline rates), you may be able to get that temporarily removed if you call your phone supplier.

v0id
11-10-2007, 13:59
Won't tech support ask you to plug the modem into your connection so they can run a diagnostic, which you wouldn't be able to do :/

Nuke_Eater
11-10-2007, 14:22
Anyone know what time they close? I may be able to borrow a friend's phone and try them tonight.

bongman_uk
11-10-2007, 17:32
I would call Customer Services and explain the situation.

If they cant fix the fault with their equipment you have no choice but to leave.

Failing that, you could always pick up a cheap cloned modem! :dunce: (JOKE!)

Nuke_Eater
11-10-2007, 17:33
Yeah we did that but they just keep telling us to ring the broadband support line. Absolutely useless.

Mick Fisher
11-10-2007, 17:59
Been a VM customer for about 3 months now. Last week our modem seems to have died. We have no net connection and none of the lights on the modem are on at all. So I rang the number we were given and was directed to their new broadband support line. We only have broadband from vm so this support line is going to cost £1 a minute! Well we thought we'd grin and bare it so long as the call was short. Neither my housemate nor myself can dial the number as our networks wont let us. I think it's a premium rate thing. Same with the phones at work. I cant find any other way of contacting them.
We need a replacement modem or our current one fixed.
Any ideas.
I live in London, the old system was ntl i believe. There is an old ntl modem that was left by the people before us. Is there any way we could use this?
Not sure what the modem we have is but it was part of the kit virgin sent us when we signed up.
Is there another number we could ring or an email address or anything? The website was no help at all.
Cheers
There is a strong possibility that the power supply has gone faulty. I don't believe they are anything special. Maybe trying another of the same rating will save you some hassle?

on in an hour!
11-10-2007, 18:28
There is a strong possibility that the power supply has gone faulty. I don't believe they are anything special. Maybe trying another of the same rating will save you some hassle?
good shout mick,but just be mindful that i have been to many a fault were the sacm wasnt locking on only to find the sub didnt have the correct OEM(ex-ntl modems) power pack plugged into the sacm,when connected to an OEM the sacm locked on perfectly.(my last 1 was a sub who had powered the sacm up with his freeview powerpack!!!) :rolleyes:

Nuke_Eater
12-10-2007, 09:16
Cheers guys will try that

Mick Fisher
12-10-2007, 21:00
good shout mick,but just be mindful that i have been to many a fault were the sacm wasnt locking on only to find the sub didnt have the correct OEM(ex-ntl modems) power pack plugged into the sacm,when connected to an OEM the sacm locked on perfectly.(my last 1 was a sub who had powered the sacm up with his freeview powerpack!!!) :rolleyes:
Agreed and precisely why I qualified my remarks with "try another of the same rating"
Personally when the same happened to me I preferred to let a VM Engineer supply and fit a new one for precisely those reasons however the OP is in a bit of a fix with his phones which is the only reason for my suggestion. It would,at least, prove or disprove a point though.