PDA

View Full Version : Speeds constantly slow

robertdanmorris
10-10-2007, 15:53
Hi,

I'm in the Manchester area - fallowfield to be precise, and we are signed up to the 4meg broadband, but getting 0.242Mbps! It is constantly slow, morning, noon or night! We aren't downloaders, just surfing the web really. Wondering if anyone knows why? it's happened since probably saturday - all the time. Can't find anything about it on the virgin service part of the site!

Was told to ring tech support - at 25p per min - i'm not the greatest fan of this! sent them an email - but waiting for a response - so was wondering if anyone here knew any reasons why it could be!

If not - no worries, sorry to trouble you guys!

Thanks
Rob

Paul K
10-10-2007, 16:00
You'll need to tell us more about your setup, what operating system, hardware for networking, network setup if there is one, connected to Stand alone cable modem or Set top box etc. Any firewalls installed, any anti virus on the PC?

robertdanmorris
10-10-2007, 16:05
You'll need to tell us more about your setup, what operating system, hardware for networking, network setup if there is one, connected to Stand alone cable modem or Set top box etc. Any firewalls installed, any anti virus on the PC?

We've got a TP-Link router - wireless, getting full signal, and that's been working fine, tried wired and wireless, same issues. Only firewall is on individual PCs - i've got norton internet security 07, getitng the same problems on a computer without any protection. It's a stand alone cable modem. I'm running XP home, as are the other 4 computers. http://www.speedtest.net/result/191593875.png - thats my results from speedtest if it makes any difference.

Thanks for your help guys - anything else i can give you - just ask.

Thanks
Rob

Paul K
10-10-2007, 16:14
What speed do you get if you connect 1 PC directly to the stand alone modem?

r00t
10-10-2007, 16:27
And try this as a speed test http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com/blueyondergames/b5ifh/ifhsetup.exe
Online speed tests are pants. ;)

hoppo1
10-10-2007, 16:29
Hello, I had a similar problem earlier this year on my 4mb. Numerous calls to our overseas friends and repeated have you reset, powered off etc I'm sending you an email with instructions failed to resolve. It was worse than dialup and consistent. Our chums in the call center insisted the modem was fine even though the tests we did resulted in v slow downloads. In the end I insisted on them sending someone out . They agreed but said a no fault would result in a £25 charge so I agreed to any charges. The guy came the next day swapped the modem and all was well again.

robertdanmorris
10-10-2007, 16:37
Hi,

with no1 else connected i get 36kbps. Is there any way to contact them though - as i don't have a landline and to call the 25p/min from a mobile is closer to £1 a min! and seems excessive! i emailed - but i find with a lot of online companies - you are left waiting for weeks for a reply!

is it likely to be modem?

hoppo1
10-10-2007, 16:48
with no1 else connected i get 36kbps

Does sound similar to my issue which needed a new modem.

You could try posting in the newsgroup see if that gets you a quicker response - virginmedia.support

robertdanmorris
10-10-2007, 16:53
don't want to sound dumb - but how do i get to newsgroups! i'm trying to google it - but it's so slow! it's like watchign paint dry!

hoppo1
10-10-2007, 17:05
Instructions here (http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/newsgroups/)

virginmedia.support.broadband.cable

robertdanmorris
10-10-2007, 17:20
bizare - it's just shot up to a mpbs - still nto the 4 we're paying for. but better than it was. I'll see what they email back - and report back to you!

gordi555
10-10-2007, 17:31
Yeah I get moments like that - 90% slow - 10% of the time seems ok for a little while. I'm on 20mb. It's actually your upload is not working properly as I found out. Going to get a new modem as mine is a SB4200 about 3+ years old.