PDA

View Full Version : Slow BB Speed from 6-11pm

ultimate
09-10-2007, 20:42
Just how wide spread is this problem?

Does anyone here who works for VM or have connection with VM know what is going on?

Is the BB over subscribed?

or

Are they "stealing" my speed to please somebody? Rob Peter to pay Paul?

or

Are they having genuine technical difficulties?

I just want to understand what is going on.

My speed during these hours are horrible, it is now 8:41pm and the speed has gone right below 1Mb on a 4Mb line, and sure a clockwork, it will go back to normal by around 11pm.

WHY WHY WHY??

Axegrinder
09-10-2007, 21:24
How much are you downloading? You might be getting traffic shaped.

4mb users get shaped if they download over 750mb, and have their speed cut to 2mb.

slowcoach
09-10-2007, 21:48
If the network was perfect no-one would call 25ppm Tech Support. ;)
The only customers who are happy are vampires, works well when they are up and about.

ultimate
09-10-2007, 21:52
How much are you downloading? You might be getting traffic shaped.

4mb users get shaped if they download over 750mb, and have their speed cut to 2mb.

I do not download at all, just email and surfing.

slowvirgin
09-10-2007, 22:03
Mine has been less than 750mb --- circa 400mb on weekday eves - I'm a 4 Meg customer!

Joe
Walthamstow

BTW The Speedtest.net speeds for my area suggest that both BT and Tiscali are faster than Virgin!

ultimate
10-10-2007, 09:47
Do my symptoms look like I have been traffic shaped? Could they have traffic shaped me by mistake? How do I find out?

My speed from 6pm to 11pm ranged from 1 to 3 mb, and stayed on average 1.6mb. Unload remain steady at 380Kps all the time.

Richy99
10-10-2007, 12:15
you uploading and downloading at the same time? or just doing tests?

xspeedyx
10-10-2007, 12:35
It Could Be A Issue If You Are Using A Router

ultimate
10-10-2007, 14:00
you uploading and downloading at the same time? or just doing tests?

I am using this site's speed test and also BBMax speed test

---------- Post added at 14:00 ---------- Previous post was at 13:58 ----------

I do not understand, if the router is the problem, why do I get full speed for the rest of the day? and this happens everyday since last week, at the same time. I get slow speed with my desk top which uses a network wire, and laptop which uses wireless.

Uncle Peter
10-10-2007, 14:28
I am using this site's speed test and also BBMax speed test

---------- Post added at 14:00 ---------- Previous post was at 13:58 ----------

I do not understand, if the router is the problem, why do I get full speed for the rest of the day? and this happens everyday since last week, at the same time. I get slow speed with my desk top which uses a network wire, and laptop which uses wireless.

I think there's trouble at t'mill on Baguely

I'm getting 150k/sec tops on downloads having tested many various sources. Problem mysteriously disappears after midnight. Lodged a formal complaint in writing yesterday as I refuse to waste anymore time and money trying to have a rational conversation with tech support (it'll probably arrive sometime next month thanks to Royal Mail).

xspeedyx
10-10-2007, 14:49
try downloading from gamefiles.blueyonder.co.uk

and I have always have alittle slow down in my area due to my ubr

ultimate
10-10-2007, 15:33

I'm getting 150k/sec tops on downloads having tested many various sources. Problem mysteriously disappears after midnight. Lodged a formal complaint in writing yesterday as I refuse to waste anymore time and money trying to have a rational conversation with tech support (it'll probably arrive sometime next month thanks to Royal Mail).

So, you reckon tech support (yes the 25ppm one) will not be able to help if they have problems at the Baguely site. Where did upi hear this from, anymore info on this?

---------- Post added at 15:33 ---------- Previous post was at 15:30 ----------

try downloading from gamefiles.blueyonder.co.uk

and I have always have alittle slow down in my area due to my ubr

Full speed now, will try again tonight

soup dragon
10-10-2007, 15:35
it could be that everyone wants to use the internet at the same time, ie the evening when they are not at work, when the kids need to do homework/msn/facebook/myspace?:shocked:

Uncle Peter
10-10-2007, 21:09
Excellent again tonight, not:

120K/sec tops from VM gamefiles site

Getting the same downloading a biggish .ppt file from our intranet site at work - link utilisation on the internet pipe out of our data centre is currently running at less than 5%

Not bad for 20Mbit :P

DJ_Price
10-10-2007, 21:32
I'm currently expriencing slow speeds. I'm on VM 4mb tier & I've been dropped to 2mb, well 1.3mb when I just did a test.

Ciaran
10-10-2007, 21:56
In Belfast 20mbit getting 18k sec download speed.

scrotnig
10-10-2007, 22:03

Yes, same problem here, I'm in Manchester & struggling to get 150kbps most of the time at the moment.

I too am not ringing them. Waste of time. I'll wait a week or so and if it's not fixed I'll phone them and cancel.

soup dragon
10-10-2007, 22:04
i am getting 480kB/s on the newsgroups, which is the same as i get all day unless i download over the limit.

gav113
10-10-2007, 23:06
Hi

I done a speed test this evening & it was pathedic, I am on the 4meg, very very slow downloading, my results are download 133kbs & upload 107kbs :mad:

Mine has been less than 750mb --- circa 400mb on weekday eves - I'm a 4 Meg customer!

Joe
Walthamstow

BTW The Speedtest.net speeds for my area suggest that both BT and Tiscali are faster than Virgin!

Uncle Peter
10-10-2007, 23:15
Yes, same problem here, I'm in Manchester & struggling to get 150kbps most of the time at the moment.

I too am not ringing them. Waste of time. I'll wait a week or so and if it's not fixed I'll phone them and cancel.

Don't blame you mate. Even if you're only getting 2Mbit on adsl it's better than the present situation. I'm probably stuffed though because I'm about 2.97 billion light years from the exchange (any further away and I'll be borrowing Bin Laden's satellite phone)

Just popped next door to see if they're having the same problem and they are. Phoned my mate who lives about 2 miles away from me and you can probably guess the answer.

DJ_Price
10-10-2007, 23:29
Well I have just done the test again & I'm back up to 4mb again. Does anyone have a recommenation of a good adsl isp, with roughly the same stuff as VM? I had previously looked at orange broadband, but never looked too deep in to how they perform customer service wise.

gav113
11-10-2007, 07:47
Think I might give it a week or 2 if not fixed then I'll look else where, means changing to BT though :dozey:

Don't blame you mate. Even if you're only getting 2Mbit on adsl it's better than the present situation. I'm probably stuffed though because I'm about 2.97 billion light years from the exchange (any further away and I'll be borrowing Bin Laden's satellite phone)

Just popped next door to see if they're having the same problem and they are. Phoned my mate who lives about 2 miles away from me and you can probably guess the answer.

DJ_Price
11-10-2007, 13:22
Think I might give it a week or 2 if not fixed then I'll look else where, means changing to BT though :dozey:

They were on watchdog last night, a lot of people complaining about being charged for lines they didn't even have installed & also bt taking month to send someone out to install a line.

jjdarl
11-10-2007, 13:53
Well to quote from above it seem that 99% of us who use VM Broadband suffer from reduced download speeds ,Having looked through the postings i`m glad i`m only paying for the 2mb package even so i feel like i`m being ripped off with an average of 1mb here in Stockport Cheshire.
I mean if your were to go into a shop and pay for 5lbs of spuds then get home after and find only 2 and half lbs !!!!! there has to be a law against it ,OK I know that the contract says your paying for "up to xxx Mbs" but why cant they be honest .
I for one am not happy ,not since NTL changed to Virgin Media ,but for the fact that BT want to charge me £124-99 to re-connect my phone line (not been with them for over 4 years) i`d go with SKY. :-(

gav113
11-10-2007, 13:58
:td:Yeah happened to a friend of mine, got billed for 2 lines they didn't have, makes u wonder what sort of people are working in customer services

They were on watchdog last night, a lot of people complaining about being charged for lines they didn't even have installed & also bt taking month to send someone out to install a line.

Richy99
11-10-2007, 14:18
or even what sort of sytsems they use, who is to say it i human error?

The Installer
11-10-2007, 15:44
If i was going to move from VM i would be looking at BEthere 24meg £24 and 1.3meg upload speed, sounds good to me if you can get it.

As regards BT see if you can get the reconnection cost down by saying something like well if your going to charge me £xxx then i'm not gonna bother :D Might not work but worth a try at least :)

Oh speeds here are ok off peak, i get the 20 meg but on peak evenings its a bit of a joke to say the least and no its got nothing to do with STM or routers inline

gav113
11-10-2007, 15:44
I'd go to Sky also but I think you need a BT phone line grrr

Well to quote from above it seem that 99% of us who use VM Broadband suffer from reduced download speeds ,Having looked through the postings i`m glad i`m only paying for the 2mb package even so i feel like i`m being ripped off with an average of 1mb here in Stockport Cheshire.
I mean if your were to go into a shop and pay for 5lbs of spuds then get home after and find only 2 and half lbs !!!!! there has to be a law against it ,OK I know that the contract says your paying for "up to xxx Mbs" but why cant they be honest .
I for one am not happy ,not since NTL changed to Virgin Media ,but for the fact that BT want to charge me £124-99 to re-connect my phone line (not been with them for over 4 years) i`d go with SKY. :-(

Ciaran
11-10-2007, 16:28
I'd go to Sky also but I think you need a BT phone line grrr
Dont go to Sky mate, I work for Sky Broadband and it is very unreliable.

paulcowper
11-10-2007, 18:08
Im on the 20Mbps package and the times you mention (6-11pm) i am also dropping in speed, from usenet im typicaly getting 512kBps (ish) which is the eqivilant of being on a 5 Mbit line. but its normaly between these times, otherwise im getting easily 2.3MBps.

I would imagine that this is going to be a normal thing from now on and not a fault. And i imagine somewere in the ToS will say that trafic may be shaped to give all users a fare share durin peak times etc.

Virgin have acted on a lot of things in the contracts that were not acted on before. like the Aditional charges for paying by credit cards. i never had a single charge when it was NTL.

Also a lot of the ADSL operators are not as nice as they seem. In the telecoms industry nobody is perfect. And altho virgins customer support may be bad at times. at least i actualy get to speak to someone within 10 mins, they may not understand me but i can usualy get most things sorted out. Looking throung other adsl operators i have considered using, the speed you buy wont nessasarly be the speed you get, you will be shaped in one way or another, and you will have a bad contention ratio. altho thats all in my opinion

gav113
11-10-2007, 18:57
Thanx for the advice, Think I'll shop around, really don't wanna go to BT tho :(

Dont go to Sky mate, I work for Sky Broadband and it is very unreliable.

jjdarl
12-10-2007, 16:53
[QUOTE=
As regards BT see if you can get the reconnection cost down by saying something like well if your going to charge me £xxx then i'm not gonna bother :D Might not work but worth a try at least :)

thanks for the advice but i`ve tried that twice -still no joy !!!bugger them for now i`ll stick with VM :-) FOR NOW !!!!!!

Morgz75
12-10-2007, 20:45
Is anyone else getting high ammounts of packet loss during these peak times, as well as the reduced speeds? Im getting about 30-90% packet loss during peak times and 150kbs to 2500kbs download speed on my 4mb line. It started doing this a little bit on the 9th and it was totaly unusable on the 10th 11th and today (12th). Its gotten slightly better today, but its still virtually unusable for anything other than loading webpages because of the packet loss. It feels like someone keeps unplugging the modem for 10 seconds every min.

ultimate
13-10-2007, 15:20
Well I have done it, just called BT to reconnect my line, its free for me.

The VM BB is slow today in the day time too, getting just under 2mb on a 4mb line, I don't think they really want my custom, so be it.

stewart28
13-10-2007, 17:10
Just read a few articles regarding VM capping speeds between 5-11pm. Phoned VM and challenged one of the customer reps and they confirmed this is correct.

Did not really have time to go into it with them(was calling from work)

Planning to call them back on monday and have it out with them.:mad:

I am currently on 20mb but finding only getting download speed of 1.5mbps from microsoft were as my father in law is with BEE(adsl) and gets 4.5mbps downloads with a bt line of maximum of 6.5mbps.

What's all that about

ultimate
13-10-2007, 18:35
What I want to know is why are they targeting everybody, according to their own website on traffic shaping, they should be targeting the top 5% of heavy downloaders. It seems near everybody is falling into this 5%.

Rone
14-10-2007, 16:23
Well i downloaded nothing all day today, PC was'nt even switched on, and found the link for the new UT demo, its now about 4:20pm, and i'm getting just over 10 meg out of my 20.
This happened last monday, and it seems to be that when the speed should be best [anyone downloading lots will probably be capped atm] its abysmal.
Just finished the download, done a few speedtests, and it really is horrendous, and its not just because everyones at home on a sunday. :(

ZebUK
14-10-2007, 19:33

The router is NOT the problem. If it was you'd get constant problems all the time.

Rone
14-10-2007, 19:56
One other point, on monday night, i went over the "limit" and into metered territory, BUT the speed i got was absolutely consistent for a good 30 minutes before i switched off at just over 5 meg.
So basically, if your a good boy [or girl] and dont download anything and get to 4pm, it seems the "upto" 20 meg will be more like "around" 10meg when really it should be pretty quick and stable.
Makes you wonder how bad it really would be without any restrictions if this is the norm. :(

Sloper
14-10-2007, 22:03
I'm on the 20mbit service and tonight's gaming has been awful. I'm not happy!!! :mad:

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/10/16.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

SpyJoe
14-10-2007, 22:35
I'm in London on 2MB and I've been having same problem. Some sites take 10 mins to load. I'm not using a router and I don't get capped...

aldiboronti
14-10-2007, 22:37
Broadband services in this country are a national disgrace. In Japan 100Mb speeds are standard, we're in the Middle Ages when it comes to technology. I'm beginning to wonder if a reliable and fast broadband provider exists at all in the UK, I've heard horror stories about all of them.

My 4Mb service from Virgin is a bad joke at the moment, totally unreliable, slow, patchy, dropping connections, non-existent at times, it seems to have deteriorated over the last month to unacceptable levels. And technical support? Don't make me laugh, even if you can get through (and that's doubtful these days) they haven't got a clue as to what's going on in England - and why would they, they're in India reading from scripted responses which never seem to get updated.

I really do despair of ever getting a decent broadband service, I'd leave Virgin in an instant if there were anywhere better to go, but they all seem to be as useless as each other.

What we really need is for a big Japanese company to see the gap in the market here and fill it with a really modern service, they'd clean up.

ultimate
14-10-2007, 23:01
Middle ages? More like Dark Age !!!

ECW_Original
14-10-2007, 23:35
What we really need is for a big Japanese company to see the gap in the market here and fill it with a really modern service, they'd clean up.

Oh if only!

What it would be like to download something, no matter how big or small and have constant speeds of that I am paying for, and to have a page loaded in UNDER 25 seconds!
It would be wonderful!

Then again, with the state this country is in, I'd rather move across the pond and live there, this country is heading down the toilet at an alarming rate!

n0c0ntr0l
15-10-2007, 00:09
Well, if i had the moeny know this. In the Uk and the US i would set up a ISP that put fibre all over the country. It would be 100 up AND down for £30 for everyone AND it would have good tech support and listen to its customers.

ultimate
20-10-2007, 19:56
What is going on tonight? Its almost 8pm and I still have full speed !!!!

Mick Fisher
21-10-2007, 03:00
I noticed speeds were better earlier tonight, dunno what they are like at the moment, too idle to run a test.
My guess is everyone was either down the pub, watching the rugby or both.

---------- Post added at 03:00 ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 ----------

Hmmm, well I did do a speed test by downloading a large file from an NNPT source in the US and for the first time in a long while I'm hitting top whack at 18.5MBps, albeit with 28 connections. Maybe could reduce some, dunno haven't tried.
What is interesting is, I have just had a look at my signal levels and they've changed. Upsteam is still on 48 as it usually is but downstream is 0.8 and the snr is 35.8. Now I know they were within spec before so never took much notice but I'm sure the downstream level was definately 3 or 5 point something and the snr was higher maybe 38 or so??
The downstream specs have definately changed although I note that we are still on QAM64. I wonder if someone has tweaked something?
Maybe normal speed tonight is just a blip I will see what it is like over time.

Mick Fisher
21-10-2007, 18:00
What is interesting is, I have just had a look at my signal levels and they've changed. Upsteam is still on 48 as it usually is but downstream is 0.8 and the snr is 35.8. Now I know they were within spec before so never took much notice but I'm sure the downstream level was definately 3 or 5 point something and the snr was higher maybe 38 or so??
The downstream specs have definately changed although I note that we are still on QAM64. I wonder if someone has tweaked something?
Maybe normal speed tonight is just a blip I will see what it is like over time.
Just as an addendum to the above:-
:doh:
Well of course my levels have changed, I dumped the DTV service a while back and my V box is no longer connected having been collected by VM.

A pit-fall of posting at 03.xx in the morning I guess. :)

ultimate
21-10-2007, 20:00
I should have guessed, tonight's speed is back to crap level

slowcoach
21-10-2007, 20:11
I think the person in charge forgot to throw the switch last night, anyway they are on the ball tonight.

Sun, 21 Oct 2007 19:05:25 GMT

Test 1: 1024K took 10965 ms = 93.4 KB/sec, approx 770 Kbps, 0.75 Mbps
Test 2: 1024K took 8225 ms = 124.5 KB/sec, approx 1026 Kbps, 1 Mbps
Test 3: 1024K took 8809 ms = 116.2 KB/sec, approx 957 Kbps, 0.93 Mbps
Test 4: 2048K took 18245 ms = 112.3 KB/sec, approx 925 Kbps, 0.9 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 920 Kbps, 0.9 Mbps

Mrcon
21-10-2007, 21:02
19MB FOR ME, SO i NOT COMPLAINING

Hugh
21-10-2007, 21:05
No need to shout :D

Mrcon
21-10-2007, 21:15
No need to shout :D

SORRY, MY KEYBOARD HAS A MESSED UP CAPS LOCK, YOU DIG.

Hugh
21-10-2007, 21:53
SORRY, MY KEYBOARD HAS A MESSED UP CAPS LOCK, YOU DIG.

Thread specific Caps Lock - unusual hardware fault ;)

ultimate
21-10-2007, 21:57
Cap Lock was off on other posts !!! Must be sensitive to the post itself LOL

Barewolf
21-10-2007, 22:11
is their no way you can use a diff proxy? there used to be a list somewhere a mod made it.

ultimate
21-10-2007, 22:13
VM shut all proxies I believe. I can still use Man1 to speed test and good for a few sites, but others are all dead.

Barewolf
21-10-2007, 22:16
Man1?

ultimate
21-10-2007, 22:18
Sorry, its : manc-cache-1.server.ntli.net

stewart28
23-10-2007, 16:07
check this out,

Tue, 23 Oct 2007 15:06:36 UTC

Test 1: 1024K took 359 ms = 2852.4 KB/sec, approx 23504 Kbps, 22.95 Mbps
Test 2: 1024K took 359 ms = 2852.4 KB/sec, approx 23504 Kbps, 22.95 Mbps
Test 3: 1024K took 360 ms = 2844.4 KB/sec, approx 23438 Kbps, 22.89 Mbps
Test 4: 2048K took 719 ms = 2848.4 KB/sec, approx 23471 Kbps, 22.92 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 23479 Kbps, 22.93 Mbps

ultimate
23-10-2007, 16:41
what did you use? Duracell???

Mine on a 4mb connection:

Tue, 23 Oct 2007 15:42:45 GMT

Test 1: 1024K took 2156 ms = 475 KB/sec, approx 3914 Kbps, 3.82 Mbps
Test 2: 1024K took 2157 ms = 474.7 KB/sec, approx 3912 Kbps, 3.82 Mbps
Test 3: 1024K took 2109 ms = 485.5 KB/sec, approx 4001 Kbps, 3.91 Mbps
Test 4: 2048K took 4297 ms = 476.6 KB/sec, approx 3927 Kbps, 3.83 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 3939 Kbps, 3.85 MbpsNot bad, but after 6pm, then its a different story!

stewart28
23-10-2007, 18:14
I'm on th 20mb,

Was home all day today to get V+ box installed and as usual they never showed and stated no appointment was made for today.

i normally sit at about 17.93mb

Barewolf
23-10-2007, 18:50
I'm on th 20mb,

Was home all day today to get V+ box installed and as usual they never showed and stated no appointment was made for today.

i normally sit at about 17.93mb

Test 1: 1024K took 6625 ms = 154.6 KB/sec, approx 1274 Kbps, 1.24 Mbps
Test 2: 1024K took 1484 ms = 690 KB/sec, approx 5686 Kbps, 5.55 Mbps
Test 3: 1024K took 5188 ms = 197.4 KB/sec, approx 1627 Kbps, 1.59 Mbps
Test 4: 2048K took 6156 ms = 332.7 KB/sec, approx 2741 Kbps, 2.68 Mbps

I think this is screwed up. Why did they get rid of proxies? At least when we had them they took some heat off the UBR's Now we apparently are all suffering around my area. I had 2 engineers out in the past week because of the speeds i am getting and only one engineer did anything about it. He told me its like a loop which allows certain people full speed for a while then moves to the next slot on the loop leaving the 20 meg customers slow and 4 and 8 meg costumers close to full speed.

His only recommendation was i drop my broadband to 8 meg. Why do Virgin try and promise us 20 meg when they have no front to back it up? So i am still left with this cruddy speed.

Ive told them they have 2 weeks to sort it out because thats 8 weeks i will have been putting up with this, either that or move to france, better still Korea.

Uncle Peter
23-10-2007, 18:55
About 200KB/s tops here at the moment based on various tests. This is of course SNAFU for 20Mb around these parts at this time of day.

ultimate
23-10-2007, 20:12
See, its past 8pm......its pathetic

Tue, 23 Oct 2007 19:11:24 GMT

Test 1: 1024K took 4391 ms = 233.2 KB/sec, approx 1922 Kbps, 1.88 Mbps
Test 2: 1024K took 3875 ms = 264.3 KB/sec, approx 2178 Kbps, 2.13 Mbps
Test 3: 1024K took 4781 ms = 214.2 KB/sec, approx 1765 Kbps, 1.72 Mbps
Test 4: 2048K took 7640 ms = 268.1 KB/sec, approx 2209 Kbps, 2.16 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 2019 Kbps, 1.97 Mbps

Windoze9t8
23-10-2007, 22:42
I'm new to VM and was connected less than a month ago after I just moved into a VM area and yesterday a 24Mb file took 13mins to download.

My previous ISP was BT, who capped my connection to 512KB as I was so far away from the exchange - near a filed full of cows. I found the connection to be quite stable, and would of remained if they would of moved my connection to this new address without the £125 fee - cheeky gits.

I spent 20 mins on the 090 number 2 weeks ago - only for them to tell me what I already knew "The Connection is Slow" Thankfully the have credited the £3.00+ call charge to my account.

I don't expect the senior engineer to make my <20M connection any better tomorrow when he visits the exchange (but i live in hope).

Magilla
23-10-2007, 23:17

Joe
Walthamstow

Same here in Sheffield

Windoze9t8
23-10-2007, 23:52
Well another download of 49Mb took over 15 mins which started off at about 120KB then dropped to 49KB. Now for someone supposeidly on <20Mbps this is of the worst I have ever noticed :mad:

VM:td: Bring on BT

Bez27
24-10-2007, 03:06
For the first time in nearly 4 years i am not happy with this internet at all. I had virtually zero problems with blueyonder, but since VM have taken over it's been problem after problem. Also since upgrading to this supposed 20mb internet, the best i can get is 13mb. My internet grinds to a halt after 18.00 O clock and im lucky if i can get back on at all, never mind test my speed if i close down and restart firefox!!! It's a right pain in the ass aswell because i've missed quite a few things i wanted to place a last second bid for on ebay. Surely someone must know what the hell is going on? Im willing to put up if it's only gonna last a couple weeks, afterall the whole network does have to be updated sooner or later, but why cant it be ealry morning 00.00-08.00am?

Super_LEEDS
24-10-2007, 09:35
Ditto in Leeds :(

Berealwith
24-10-2007, 11:01
Ditto in Preston

Bonglet
24-10-2007, 11:08
Ditto in Newcastle :) i see a pattern here nationwide methinks just like i said all along :P.

Windoze9t8
24-10-2007, 16:27
Well, VM Engineer just call me to say that he has been doing some testing and that the testing shows even at 11am the node to be maxed out. He is suggesting that they will be resequencing the UBR and he will call again tomorrow with an update to when this is due to take place (something to do with coloured flags).

I am wondering if I just leave now(still within the 30day period) and get BT booked in or jump the sinking ship and go back to ADSL.

Any thoughts?

Robisme
24-10-2007, 17:40
Hi, I had slow speed troubles a couple of months ago, down to 50k when I'm on 4 meg :(
sometimes it was regular around the 400 to 600kb mark, engineer called, said the modem was knackered, changed it and not had a problem since :)

cya

PS, that was after 3 phone calls to customer support though.

Windoze9t8
24-10-2007, 20:33
my current speed test;

Wed, 24 Oct 2007 19:28:05 GMT
1st 128K took 3652 ms = 35890 Bytes/sec = approx 299 kbits/sec
2nd 128K took 2561 ms = 51180 Bytes/sec = approx 426 kbits/sec
3rd 128K took 2101 ms = 62386 Bytes/sec = approx 519 kbits/sec
4th 128K took 897 ms = 146123 Bytes/sec = approx 1216 kbits/sec

about the same speed as my 3g enabled PDA (LOL)

foljov
24-10-2007, 20:53
hello everyone i upgraded to 20meg from 2 and its still slow most of the time i get just 2meg with the odd burst upto 8 and i can never get thru to anyone on the phone

Windoze9t8
24-10-2007, 21:32
When the engineer called me today he suggested that i downgrade to <4MB to save money though I'm really thinking of moving to ADSL (or ADSL 2+ provided by BeThere (http://www.bethere.co.uk)) as I really getting fedup with someone(s) in my area hogging the bandwith. If they call back and suggest something can be done in a reasonable time the i'll stay, but if no response by tomorrow-i'll be ordering a BT line on Friday.

EIGHTIESLAD
24-10-2007, 22:00
Hello i live in stoke on trent. Noticed that during the evening my speed is sooo slow and takes ages to load pages. Im on the 4mb (L) package and pay £25 per month. I have used virginmedia website to see what upgrades are available. Had to log in with virgin media user and password. After the checking it tells me that i am on the (s) package of 2mb and offered me upgrades to 4mb or xl package

Surely this cannot be right - if so i have been paying for 4mb for a looong time and feel cheated by it.

Iceman_Jay
25-10-2007, 20:30
Hello i live in stoke on trent. Noticed that during the evening my speed is sooo slow and takes ages to load pages. Im on the 4mb (L) package and pay £25 per month. I have used virginmedia website to see what upgrades are available. Had to log in with virgin media user and password. After the checking it tells me that i am on the (s) package of 2mb and offered me upgrades to 4mb or xl package

Surely this cannot be right - if so i have been paying for 4mb for a looong time and feel cheated by it.

If you want to feel really cheated switch to the 20mb package for £37/pm youll get amazing limited speeds of 5mb.

at least when it was 10mb you could get at least 7 or 8mb most of the time 20mb has been a downgrade IMO.

Yes I am new here just joining the other satisfied virgin media HA! users by the looks of things.

Berealwith
26-10-2007, 14:09
it been honest Iceman when i was on 10mb i got 10mb 24/7 i never had a problem with it. i have even tried to get 10mb back its either 2 or 4 now.......help.............i am going mad.%£$£$^&HHFGR$$££E!!!!!!!!!!

Windoze9t8
26-10-2007, 16:23
Since my down grade to <4Mb a file of 49Mb i download to test speeds now takes 45 mins......................................:sleep:

ultimate
26-10-2007, 22:24
Fri, 26 Oct 2007 21:19:36 GMT

Test 1: 1024K took 251 ms = 4079.7 KB/sec, approx 33617 Kbps, 32.83 Mbps
Test 2: 1024K took 306 ms = 3346.4 KB/sec, approx 27574 Kbps, 26.93 Mbps
Test 3: 1024K took 279 ms = 3670.3 KB/sec, approx 30243 Kbps, 29.53 Mbps
Test 4: 2048K took 741 ms = 2763.8 KB/sec, approx 22774 Kbps, 22.24 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 28552 Kbps, 27.88 Mbps

OMG what is this????????????????????????????

No its not VM, I am visiting my daughter at Keble College in Oxford.

This is the kind of speed that we mortals only dream about.
Their upload speed is around 8Mbps

I hope Mr VM do take a lesson from this college.

Barewolf
26-10-2007, 22:33
Sat, 27 Oct 2007 05:32:35 GMT

Test 1: 1024K took 6797 ms = 150.7 KB/sec, approx 1242 Kbps, 1.21 Mbps
Test 2: 1024K took 8250 ms = 124.1 KB/sec, approx 1023 Kbps, 1 Mbps
Test 3: 1024K took 8563 ms = 119.6 KB/sec, approx 986 Kbps, 0.96 Mbps
Test 4: 2048K took 9437 ms = 217 KB/sec, approx 1788 Kbps, 1.75 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 1260 Kbps, 1.23 Mbps

Mustard
26-10-2007, 22:59
My awesome 20MB connection;

Fri, 26 Oct 2007 21:56:30 GMT

Test 1: 1024K took 20400 ms = 50.2 KB/sec, approx 414 Kbps, 0.4 Mbps
Test 2: 1024K took 28135 ms = 36.4 KB/sec, approx 300 Kbps, 0.29 Mbps
Test 3: 1024K took 19842 ms = 51.6 KB/sec, approx 425 Kbps, 0.42 Mbps
Test 4: 2048K took 37133 ms = 55.2 KB/sec, approx 455 Kbps, 0.44 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 399 Kbps, 0.39 Mbps

Iceman_Jay
27-10-2007, 15:47
it been honest Iceman when i was on 10mb i got 10mb 24/7 i never had a problem with it. i have even tried to get 10mb back its either 2 or 4 now.......help.............i am going mad.%£$£$^&HHFGR$$££E!!!!!!!!!!

I never had a problem with the 10mb service either, until Virgin Media took over with the big plan to beat sky and all the rest's 16mb broadband with 20mb.

to me it looks as though 10mb was about what the service as a whole could handle, pushing it to 20mb is leaving everyone limited, ok 4mb to 2mb is a significant drop but a drop of the expected (and charged for) 20mb service to 5mb when VM feel like it is totally unacceptable, telewest had a 10mb system in place that was capable of holding at least 7-8mb as well as 2mb and 4mb users.

stewart28
27-10-2007, 18:58
On 20meg, please explain this!!

Sat, 27 Oct 2007 17:52:12 UTC

Test 1: 1024K took 1 ms = 1024000 KB/sec, approx 8437760 Kbps, 8240 Mbps
Test 2: 1024K took 1 ms = 1024000 KB/sec, approx 8437760 Kbps, 8240 Mbps
Test 3: 1024K took 593 ms = 1726.8 KB/sec, approx 14229 Kbps, 13.9 Mbps
Test 4: 2048K took 1 ms = 2048000 KB/sec, approx 16875520 Kbps, 16480 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 8441317 Kbps, 8243.48 Mbps
:confused:

Berealwith
27-10-2007, 20:16
another 20mb test

Sat, 27 Oct 2007 19:15:18 UTC
1st 128K took 581 ms = 225597 Bytes/sec = approx 1877 kbits/sec
2nd 128K took 535 ms = 244994 Bytes/sec = approx 2038 kbits/sec
3rd 128K took 504 ms = 260063 Bytes/sec = approx 2164 kbits/sec
4th 128K took 462 ms = 283706 Bytes/sec = approx 2360 kbits/sec

These results appear to be rather fast: maybe this page was in the browser cache.

soooooo depressing

ultimate
31-10-2007, 20:10
Looks quite decent tonight at 8pm:

Wed, 31 Oct 2007 20:09:11 GMT

Test 1: 1024K took 2156 ms = 475 KB/sec, approx 3914 Kbps, 3.82 Mbps
Test 2: 1024K took 2187 ms = 468.2 KB/sec, approx 3858 Kbps, 3.77 Mbps
Test 3: 1024K took 2157 ms = 474.7 KB/sec, approx 3912 Kbps, 3.82 Mbps
Test 4: 2048K took 4484 ms = 456.7 KB/sec, approx 3763 Kbps, 3.67 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 3862 Kbps, 3.77 Mbps

Simcut
31-10-2007, 21:24

What annoys me is this is ISP's excuse for a problem. "Oh you have a router? That's the problem, sir...." my **** it is!

ultimate
31-10-2007, 23:25
I know why my speed was ok tonight, there had been a big outage in Manchester, we'll see how it goes tomorrow night.

SOSAGES
01-11-2007, 09:20
Routers can cause issues. So can network cards..
if you have an issue do everything you can to test your side of things then when finally happy its not your fault go bitch at virgin

Simcut
01-11-2007, 09:55
They can be a problem if not configured correctly, yeah.

But ISP's tend to finger the blame instantly on your router than yourselves, bloody annoying! :(

SOSAGES
01-11-2007, 10:43
because isp's spend a lot of time dealing with idiots :)

ultimate
01-11-2007, 21:14
Who am I kidding, last night was only a flash in the pan, see tonight

Thu, 01 Nov 2007 21:12:13 GMT

Test 1: 1024K took 5469 ms = 187.2 KB/sec, approx 1543 Kbps, 1.51 Mbps
Test 2: 1024K took 4765 ms = 214.9 KB/sec, approx 1771 Kbps, 1.73 Mbps
Test 3: 1024K took 11922 ms = 85.9 KB/sec, approx 708 Kbps, 0.69 Mbps
Test 4: 2048K took 11172 ms = 183.3 KB/sec, approx 1510 Kbps, 1.47 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 1383 Kbps, 1.35 Mbps

wizzer
01-11-2007, 22:34
You think you have problems! I'm using Virgin.net (offnet) via the local BT exchange. The max speed is 2MB which I approach during the day. But for the last couple of weeks speed in the evening has fallen away to my old modem dial of around 56kps!

I can't do a thing!

OldGeezer
02-11-2007, 08:29
I'm on 4Mbps in Macclesfield (SK11).
Speeds are fine during daytime on weekdays (3.7 Mbps), pants during evenings and weekends (0.6Mbps - 1.7 Mbps).
Speed starts to tail off from around 5.30pm - looks like total oversubscription to me.

wizzer
02-11-2007, 08:33
Can someone explain to me, in a VM offnet area then presumably this means too many broadband customers using the local exchange whoever they are signed up to?

Melonfish
02-11-2007, 16:55
hey chaps, is there definite conformation that this is global traffic shaping? last night at about 5:20 i was getting just over 2mb (i'm on a 4mb connection) after 6:20 i was getting about 1.2mb average which i'll be fair has been better then the previous two weeks at near modem speeds.
even later that night about 1mb average.

i download stuff like everyone and know about the 750mb shaping thing but some nights i don't download i game and this is really starting to P me off. is there any end to this? is it a permanent thing or a test? has something broke they're not telling us about?

up till two weeks ago i was the happiest VM customer out there. 4mb does me. i download some stuff and i game with my m8's it did everything i wanted. was stable and reliable. now its pathetic.
daytimes back up to its usual self. happy and stable, but who games with their m8's at 10 in the morning?
pete

dave6x
02-11-2007, 22:06
I suppose the SP10 area doesn't seem to bad. I usually don't have much speed reduction, if any, during peak times. I've just done a 100MB download from Newsgroups on 8 threads using Grabit and achieved a constant 479KB/s, and this is what I expect to get.

However I ran 3 different speed tests from UK servers before the 100MB download and got results ranging from 2.5Mb/s (Dan Elwell) to 3.5Mb/s (CF Speed Test), also a fairly common result for speed tests!!!

As has been said many times before around these forums, don't trust the speed tests!

nemesis01
03-11-2007, 02:20
This is great, now 2.20 AM and still capped at 5MB, i'm so happy.

I download during the night so the pc is free during the day and the little old lady down the road can go on help the aged website or whatever without me slowing them down, don't know why I bother.

:(

Berealwith
03-11-2007, 02:46

I download during the night so the pc is free during the day and the little old lady down the road can go on help the aged website or whatever without me slowing them down, don't know why I bother.

Your Lucky i am getting this

Sat, 3 Nov 2007 02:39:45 UTC

Test 1: 1024K took 16259 ms = 63 KB/sec, approx 519 Kbps, 0.51 Mbps
Test 2: 1024K took 18317 ms = 55.9 KB/sec, approx 461 Kbps, 0.45 Mbps
Test 3: 1024K took 16056 ms = 63.8 KB/sec, approx 526 Kbps, 0.51 Mbps
Test 4: 2048K took 28238 ms = 72.5 KB/sec, approx 597 Kbps, 0.58 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 526 Kbps, 0.51 Mbps

To repeat this test from the source server click here.

for 20mb connection Something Wrong Big Time...........

I have also tried to ring helpline are they all in bed NO ANSWER

Also nothing posted on live service.......whats the newsgroup site to post up on ? anyone know please

Barewolf
03-11-2007, 20:28

:LOL:

vbx
04-11-2007, 18:44
This is my 4mb connection at peek time just now :(

Sun, 4 Nov 2007 18:36:33 UTC

Test 1: 1024K took 4469 ms = 229.1 KB/sec, approx 1888 Kbps, 1.84 Mbps
Test 2: 1024K took 7234 ms = 141.6 KB/sec, approx 1167 Kbps, 1.14 Mbps
Test 3: 1024K took 5953 ms = 172 KB/sec, approx 1417 Kbps, 1.38 Mbps
Test 4: 2048K took 23438 ms = 87.4 KB/sec, approx 720 Kbps, 0.7 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 1298 Kbps, 1.26 Mbps

Pants :td:

Cerberus
04-11-2007, 18:54
This service is pathetic to say the least. Paying £37 a month for 20mb * up to and I am getting speeds like this:

Sun, 04 Nov 2007 18:53:20 GMT

Test 1: 1024K took 6630 ms = 154.4 KB/sec, approx 1272 Kbps, 1.24 Mbps
Test 2: 1024K took 7187 ms = 142.5 KB/sec, approx 1174 Kbps, 1.15 Mbps
Test 3: 1024K took 7476 ms = 137 KB/sec, approx 1129 Kbps, 1.1 Mbps
Test 4: 2048K took 14591 ms = 140.4 KB/sec, approx 1157 Kbps, 1.13 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 1183 Kbps, 1.15 Mbps

What an absolute joke! :mad:

IT Lemming
04-11-2007, 19:12
There must be something we can do, someone to complain to somewhere, I was getting better connections before I changed across from a VM 4mb (via set top box) to a 20 mb cable modem
Now getting:

Sun, 4 Nov 2007 19:06:53 UTC

1st 512K took 6766 ms = 75.7 KB/sec, approx 624 Kbps, 0.61 Mbps
2nd 512K took 3125 ms = 163.8 KB/sec, approx 1350 Kbps, 1.32 Mbps
3rd 512K took 3766 ms = 136 KB/sec, approx 1121 Kbps, 1.09 Mbps
4th 512K took 4234 ms = 120.9 KB/sec, approx 996 Kbps, 0.97 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 1023 Kbps, 1 Mbps

I would be better off on dial up. than this £37.00 per month c**p

TUZZY
04-11-2007, 19:37
So... why do U all put up with it? Why? ADSL seems better than 20 meg VM as far as I can see. Im a new VM customer on 20meg. I have noticed how high (Morning) and Low (Evening) it gets and Ive still got 2 weeks to get out. Ill decide before the 30 days are up. So why does this VM service have so many speed issues and so many variable download speeds, and ADSL doesnt... i get 4-5 meg all day anytime on BT Broadband.... Im lucky to have 2 lines and Im trying this VM service out but keeping the BT ADSL for back-up, SO WHY IS IT SO DAMN VARIABLE??????????????

---------- Post added at 19:36 ---------- Previous post was at 19:25 ----------

p,s Are they having a laugh....

http://www.areyouuptospeed.com/two-types.html#why1

---------- Post added at 19:37 ---------- Previous post was at 19:36 ----------

Lots of companies offer ADSL broadband, like BT, TalkTalk, AOL, Tiscali, Orange and Sky. Virgin Media also do ADSL. However, Virgin Media is the only company that offers cable broadband in the UK.

The maximum speed you can get with ADSL broadband may be less than you think you should be getting, because it's based on how far you live from the telephone exchange.

Cable broadband comes down its own cable so doesn't get the same problem.

Other things can affect the speed like the number of people using a website at the same time and the performance of your computer, although this isn't usually a problem. That's why broadband companies say'up to' before the speed, for example 'up to 8Mb'

If you can get cable broadband, you really should, here's why:

1. Cable broadband is faster
Cable is designed for the digital age. It carries information as light which is very efficient and means loads of stuff can travel vast distances down it and arrive in good shape.

Top speed cable broadband (up to 20Mb) is over 350 times faster than dial-up (up to 56K) and nearly 3 times faster than the top speed ADSL broadband currently sold by the likes of BT, Talk Talk and Tiscali (up to 8Mb).

Up to 20Mb broadband from Virgin Media is the fastest broadband that's widely available.

The faster broadband gets, the more you can do with it. Which is why cable speeds of up to 50Mb are being tested right now. That's nearly 900 times faster than dial-up.

Unlike cable, ADSL comes down phone lines. It uses copper wire 'technology' that was designed for making phone calls which means broadband speeds get slower the further you live from the telephone exchange

Why does ADSL slow down the further you are from the telephone exchange?
Imagine you're having a conversation with someone who's walking away from you down a busy street. After a while you'd struggle to hear them, right? Same with ADSL broadband:

All sorts of things get in the way of the signal as it travels down the wire (like stray electricity from other wires). Bit by bit, less and less makes it through until, eventually, if the wire was long enough, you'd be left with nothing at all. All the stuff that chips away at your signal is called 'noise'.

Why doesn't cable broadband slow down over distance
The cable that broadband comes down is designed to carry loads of information very quickly. It's so advanced it can carry masses of things into your home, like your phone and digital TV.

And with cable you're able to get pretty much the top speed available (that's up to 20Mb). That's because it's so well made, a lot of the stuff that weakens signals down phone lines ('noise' and 'attenuation', they call it) doesn't make much difference to cable.

Something called contention also affects the speed. What is contention?
The best way to explain contention is to imagine your connection to the internet is a motorway. Sometimes it's quiet and you can zip along. Sometimes it's packed with other cars and everything grinds to a halt.

Sooner or later your connection to the internet will join other people's, like an 'A road' joining the motorway. Loads of people clogging it up at the same time will slow things down.

With ADSL, your 'A road' joins the motorway from the telephone exchange onwards, so you're either sharing your connection with 19 or 49 other people. That's a lot of sharing going on and that's going to slow you down.

With cable, you still share your connection with other people. Your cable 'A road' still joins the shared motorway, it's just the motorway's so much wider, there's room for everyone. And with cable, if there are any snarl-ups appearing, they can be spotted quickly, and more space gets freed up, keeping everyone moving. This is one of the advantages of owning your own network which most ADSL providers don't - you only have to worry about your own traffic.

ultimate
04-11-2007, 19:42
Do you call this room for everyone? The motorway you said for VM turns out to be a country lane !

http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/results.php?t=1194205176&v=2703929

TUZZY
04-11-2007, 19:54
Thats very poor.
Im getting on BT BROADBAND.....

http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/results.php?t=1194205980&v=2704044

and only 1.7mbps on VM !!!!! BT is up to 8meg and VM is up to 20meg.

Looks like its a cobbled street rather than a motorway !!!!!

So ADSL is doung better than Cable - so much for the crap they btell us about cable.

ultimate
04-11-2007, 19:58
Cable on paper should be better, this this lot of VM ignoramus just mess things for us. I have my BT line ready and bought a ADSL modem, but just don't know which ISP to go for. Looks like BT is ok from your test.