PDA

View Full Version : Newsgroups expiring posts after downloading headers?

Web-Junkie
09-10-2007, 01:03
Noticed this for a few days now. I will download some headers from VM/Ntl newsgroups then select some posts and nearly half of them are now showing expired? WHAT? I just downloaded the headers for these posts not 20 seconds ago and now most of the posts are not there?????

Seems the servers are screwed again, what a surprise!! :mad: :td:

Delta Whiskey
09-10-2007, 08:10
It's VM's appalling newgroup servers playing up again. Even when you can get the headers, the bodies aren't complete. As an example, one set I tried to download was 10x10Mb, everyone of the 10 was undersized by half if not more. You should be using a premium ISP like Easynews if you are serious about newsgroups.

Xtinguish
09-10-2007, 08:23
No problem here with VM's newsgroup servers. Use them daily and with very few problems and certainly no expired cases using Newsbin Pro.

zing_deleted
09-10-2007, 08:49
It's VM's appalling newgroup servers playing up again. Even when you can get the headers, the bodies aren't complete. As an example, one set I tried to download was 10x10Mb, everyone of the 10 was undersized by half if not more. You should be using a premium ISP like Easynews if you are serious about newsgroups.

Easynews isnt for the serious its for the dabbler ;) Giganews is for the serious user :)

Delta Whiskey
09-10-2007, 09:32
Easynews isnt for the serious its for the dabbler ;) Giganews is for the serious user :)

HeHeHe, I'm not going to rise to that one. :D

Richy99
09-10-2007, 11:09
define serious user tho...not everyone needs upto 200 days retention, usenetserver, astraweb and newshosting all are capable of delivering what is required

punky
09-10-2007, 11:24
They don't provide unlimited accounts though. 20 gig/month isn't that much.

danielf
09-10-2007, 11:38
They don't provide unlimited accounts though. 20 gig/month isn't that much.

It depends on your usage though. I'm just looking at Astraweb PAYG (just buy bandwidth as ans when you need it). $10 for 25Gig or $25 for 90Gig looks very interesting to me as I'm unlikely to hit 25Gig in one month. This looks like a much better deal than the lower tiers on Giganews.

punky
09-10-2007, 11:40
Yeah, but Zingle said a serious user. 25gig is only 1 Blu-ray disk.

zing_deleted
09-10-2007, 11:41
define serious user tho...not everyone needs upto 200 days retention, usenetserver, astraweb and newshosting all are capable of delivering what is required

yes but giganews is the cream of the usenet crop

dilli-theclaw
09-10-2007, 11:58
I used to be on easynews, and I thought I'd never break 20gb a month.

But I've done a little more than that when i switched to giganews.

Richy99
09-10-2007, 12:29
yes but giganews is the cream of the usenet crop

yeah i know but there are other alternatives available, giganews isnt usenet

zing_deleted
09-10-2007, 12:36
look where did I say it is? it is the cream of the crop. Scour the forum there are loads of posts with people with problems with a lot o the popular servers but not many with problems with giganews. You get what you pay for in life im not here telling everyone you have to use giganews but it is my educated recommendation and im not gonna be swayed. Giganews is the best usenet service available

bioboy
09-10-2007, 14:15
I have tried Easynews, Giganews and Newshosting as well as using NTL's newsgroups and tbh they all have something to offer. Easynews has a superb web browser that enables you to search for stuff and even look at thumbnails, but in the end their lack of an unlimited account made them too expensive for a leech like me.:D

I have tried Giganews and I have to admit their retention is awesome at 200 days, but tbh do you really need that much if you're subscribed to Newzbin or similar and look at what's available most days? Of course you don't.

I swapped to an unlimited Newshosting account for $14.95/month over a year ago. Their completion is excellent and their retention is 45 days on binary groups, which is okay. However, I have found that if you use Nzb files to download instead of downloading headers you get 70 days retention for $10/month less than Giganews charge. 70 days is plenty for me and I suspect for most other people.

Bill

zing_deleted
09-10-2007, 14:55
I often search and find stuff way over 70 days often TV media that I realsise I missed out on

TraxData
09-10-2007, 15:22
look where did I say it is? it is the cream of the crop. Scour the forum there are loads of posts with people with problems with a lot o the popular servers but not many with problems with giganews. You get what you pay for in life im not here telling everyone you have to use giganews but it is my educated recommendation and im not gonna be swayed. Giganews is the best usenet service available

Again quoted for truth.

Alot of others tend to show incompletes (newzdemon for example) that even the pars cant fix (mostly new stuff i admit, but if you watch shows this is highly annoying)

+1 for giganews, best service around and always fast.

Web-Junkie
09-10-2007, 20:49
I have a premium server, Astraweb, because I buy a block of gigs and use it when I want without paying monthly fees for something I won't use that often. If I was to download regularly then Giganews would be the first choice, but I don't.

I use VM's servers where both VM and Astraweb carry the group, so I don't waste download credit, and use Astraweb as 'fill' server as VM's servers will usually corrupt files! Mostly VM has the groups I need, just lately the bodies don't seem to be in synch with the headers!!

bioboy
10-10-2007, 08:37
I often search and find stuff way over 70 days often TV media that I realsise I missed out onYes, that will happen at first, but if you search regularly that won't happen. Use Newzbin or Binsearch.

zing_deleted
10-10-2007, 08:40
yeah right so you think im a noob now???? I been with Giganews since April 2005 and its still happening was with Easynews before that started around 2002 . Still think im new to it?

Richy99
10-10-2007, 10:35

yes it is the best, but not everyone will want to pay that amount for giganews, the other alternative servers are there and more cost effective for some people, i always find better to give the people a list of alternatives rather than just the daddy

danielf
10-10-2007, 10:46
yeah right so you think im a noob now???? I been with Giganews since April 2005 and its still happening was with Easynews before that started around 2002 . Still think im new to it?

Who'd have thought that? Our Zingle. A Noob :erm: :D

grubbymitts
10-10-2007, 16:42
Crikey, I thought Zinglebarb was Usenet ;)

bioboy
11-10-2007, 12:08
yeah right so you think im a noob now???? I been with Giganews since April 2005 and its still happening was with Easynews before that started around 2002 . Still think im new to it?Chill out mate. I never said you were a noob. :p:

All I was saying was that if you check frequently you don't really need more than 70 days retention, all IMHO of course. As it happens I've been using the newsgroups even longer than you (not that I'm saying I know better than you or anybody else), but then this thread isn't supposed to be about comparing manhoods.;):D

zing_deleted
11-10-2007, 12:17
well I often do need more than 70 days retention I really do ;)

---------- Post added at 12:17 ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 ----------

yes it is the best, but not everyone will want to pay that amount for giganews, the other alternative servers are there and more cost effective for some people, i always find better to give the people a list of alternatives rather than just the daddy

I let others offer the lesser alternatives ;)

TraxData
11-10-2007, 15:10
Chill out mate. I never said you were a noob. :p:

All I was saying was that if you check frequently you don't really need more than 70 days retention, all IMHO of course. As it happens I've been using the newsgroups even longer than you (not that I'm saying I know better than you or anybody else), but then this thread isn't supposed to be about comparing manhoods.;):D

I check frequently and still need more than 70 days retention, some things dont get listed till late on and you wonder how you missed it.

200 Day retention is great for me, and i have no doubt is for zing as well, 70 day isnt enough in this day and age, not if you download alot anyway.

And if you download quality stuff of bigger file size you need that retention ;)

Richy99
11-10-2007, 15:36
i guess thats the downside to using an indexing site, it can be out of date