PDA

View Full Version : New Pc on a VM internet connection

colinuk
08-10-2007, 17:32
Do you still have to ring Virgin when changing your PC on the broadband service. Mate of mine has got a new PC, plugged it into the same cable as the old one, doesnt work, well, cant get on the network.

Done the normal, ping 127.0.0.1. check drivers, ping a web page [didnt work] release and renew. On the renew said it cant find a dhcp server to get a IP# from and gave up after 3 mins.

Just wondering if VM need the MAC addy from it to work still?

TYIA

Colin

r00t
08-10-2007, 17:38
We no longer need to add your MAC.
Have you checked your services, try stopping and restarting dhcp services.
Also check your firewall isn't the cause or router if you have one.

Graham M
08-10-2007, 17:39
Make sure your friend has power-cycled the Modem

colinuk
08-10-2007, 17:55
cheers for the advice. Spoke to him and he asked me if this usb thing he had on the other PC should be plugged into the new one. I said, did the old one need it to work, yes he says.... Well, i sugested in a very nice, yet stern way, that maybe he should plug it in, guess what, it now works....

Sometimes i wonder.....

but ty for the help guys :)

ColiN

piggy
09-10-2007, 18:57
cheers for the advice. Spoke to him and he asked me if this usb thing he had on the other PC should be plugged into the new one. I said, did the old one need it to work, yes he says.... Well, i sugested in a very nice, yet stern way, that maybe he should plug it in, guess what, it now works....

Sometimes i wonder.....

but ty for the help guys :)

ColiN

if your friend is using bb via a stb with no router then he needs to add each new device thats why its working with the usb nic card as its already on his account