PDA

View Full Version : external weatherproof box

rmlmtl
07-10-2007, 18:14
Hi
Due to a swop around in use of rooms of our home the original cabled installation was in the wrong place. I have therefore successfully transferred cables, added cable splitter etc to the new room. However to facilitate this in the simplest way I have sited the cable splitter externally. Presently it is protected in a plastic bag - not pretty!

I want to obtain a suitable weatherproof box for housing theses bits. We have an old nynex box at the front of the house which is ideal but it is still in use.

Where can I obtain a box designed for this purpose?

Also am I likely to get any problems with a 'Triple' cable splitter. We have 2 reted boxes in the house and occasionally I would like to use the second box in a different room. A triple splitter would make this simple.

Again can anyone recommend a source of **good quality** splitters please?

Thank you for the advice

Scrubbs
07-10-2007, 18:57
maplins will sell the boxes and glands you need

rmlmtl
07-10-2007, 19:06
Thanks for the reply.
Maplins seems to only do one form of waterproof box. It isn't really suitable as I need at least a top and bottom entry port. This appears to have none - I'm guessing really for cables coming directly through the wall into the back of the box.

see
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=waterproof%20box&source=15&SD=Y

any other sources anybody please

Scrubbs
07-10-2007, 19:20
I,m afraid you can't mount boxes like that, you have to use bottom ,top or side exits with the appropriate glands. Th only other way is a bodge job using sealant after you have mounted the box.

sprattgraham
08-10-2007, 22:13
Just get one of these:

http://mediacables.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&manufacturers_id=10&products_id=150

saabmania2
09-10-2007, 18:39
do you want round or square?? i sell loads of the all sizes all shapes
No seriously all you need to do is go to your local electrical wholesale outlet i.e newey & eyre, kew,tlc, city electrical, eyre & elliston or other and ask for a IP65 box they are totally waterproof if you want to put a 3 way splitter inside you probably want something like a Gewiss box No GW44002 or GW44003
Gewiss = brand
IP65 = Means it's totally waterproof

by the way those two boxes should cost about £1.50 - £2.00 each

hope that helps :)

By the way the boxes you where looking at in maplins are only IP56 and are not totally waterproof (believe me there only water resistant)

smarty
10-10-2007, 13:37
Larger B & Q DIY shops sell suitable boxes.