PDA

View Full Version : hmmmm.....interesting speed management

blade85
07-10-2007, 12:32
Okay....this is kinda wierd..

I used my connection a fair bit from 4pm (a fair bit of online gaming, watching youtube vids, downloading trailers...etc etc)...and nothing happened. Speed stayed 4 megs. The connection is also being shared on two pc's so im sure i should have hit at least 300-400 megs in a few hours (hi def trailers take the blame :) ). Till 11 it was still 4 megs (by which time i really should have hit at least 600 megs). So i thought....arright lets see how much i got left....and i went onto a newsgroup downloader and started that up.

What really interested me was the fact that it wasnt till i had downloaded 699 megs of constant downloading on the newsgroup file that my connection fell to 2 megs. Anyone else notice this?

Wierd....but quite honestly i like it :D:D

flowrebmit
07-10-2007, 16:37
Erm, your download amount before STM cuts in is currently* 750MB on the 4Mbps tier.

*I say currently because it may change if/when the 4Mbps -> 10Mbps upgrade is rolled out nationwide.

Mrcon
07-10-2007, 17:44
well downloaded 14GB today started at 1 only just getting limited to 5MB, on a 20MB line.

blade85
07-10-2007, 20:33
Erm, your download amount before STM cuts in is currently* 750MB on the 4Mbps tier.

Yes, but i downloaded over 1.1 Gigs between 4pm and 12 midnight before they did anything. Im not complaining. Im just wondering if others had this as well?

flowrebmit
07-10-2007, 21:07
OIC, sorry your original post wasn't clear, I thought you were giving a running total, LOL.

Maybe VM are doing a secret trial in your area?

blade85
07-10-2007, 22:42
OIC, sorry your original post wasn't clear, I thought you were giving a running total, LOL.

Maybe VM are doing a secret trial in your area?

if only they would increase my speed as well :D lol

nutellajunkie
08-10-2007, 11:31
I guess it really depends on what virginmedia consider abuse.. Perhaps there is some clever software going on, because what you seemed to be doing was just having a good ole time online and not abusing the service.. There are some people that constantly abuse the service, who I believe are the ones that get limited speeds at the hours allocated..

Just a guess, I could be, and usually am wrong :)

Akia
08-10-2007, 12:45
I've noticed that the traffic management isn't consitent.

I've gone over my allowance before had my speed cut. stoped using the internet while i've gone to make something to eat etc. gone back about a hour later and got full speed again.

I've also noticed that on occasions when i've been using my connection. I've not been hammering it by downloading at full wack but def gone over the allowance but never got my speed cut.

I agree with nutellajunkie, I don't think its a clean cut as you go over X amount and your speed drops to X. They've either got some clever software running or they keep changing the settings.

I think if its the first and its more dynamic in regards to the allowances then the only reason they give the allowances in the first place it to cover themselfs legally in the sence that if thats lowest amount they you would ever get capped at then nobodys ever going to compain that they get capped at a higher amount. If that makes sence

dev
08-10-2007, 13:08
i've knowingly gone over 3gb (on 20mb) and then been hit, and other times i haven't till at least 5gb. I don't really keep traffic of how much is downloaded but any time i have been STM'd it has definately been over 3gb downloaded but not always at 3gb

rayd
08-10-2007, 14:57

*I say currently because it may change if/when the 4Mbps -> 10Mbps upgrade is rolled out nationwide.

I'm waiting for VM to install my 4Mb service on Friday, but ...

when I signed up I asked the sales girl if there was any traffic management or download restrictions and she said NOT on the 4Mb service - only on the 20Mb. I asked her if she was sure and she said yes, I had a guaranteed 4Mb service 24/7 with no traffic management or download restrictions.

So, I signed up ...

Cheers,

Ray D

xspeedyx
08-10-2007, 15:57
I always get hit my stm and i have always gone over the limit so the stm works on me

flowrebmit
08-10-2007, 16:16
when I signed up I asked the sales girl if there was any traffic management or download restrictions and she said NOT on the 4Mb service - only on the 20Mb. I asked her if she was sure and she said yes, I had a guaranteed 4Mb service 24/7 with no traffic management or download restrictions.

There is a good chance that the salesdroid that you spoke to was in error, see for example the following Virginmedia page, which details STM for each of the consumer cable broadband tiers:

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html

Mrcon
08-10-2007, 20:35
im getting shaped, kinda annoying