PDA

View Full Version : Giving up smoking?

budwieser
07-10-2007, 11:35
:) Got a chest infection at the moment and i`ve had it since friday.
Thought it would be a good excuse to give up the weed,it`s been over 24 hours now and i think i`m doing ok, everytime i think about cigarettes i ask myself what benefits i get from them, nothing is my answer.
I`ve been smoking for 33 years now and i want to give up so desperately.
Any advice or tips would be really welcome.
How about a seperate thread where all the people wanting to give up anything can post and get help from other people, or does one exist already?
Cheers.
Neil.

Russ
07-10-2007, 11:41
Maybe a non-judgemental thread where people can swap tips without having non-smokers taking shots and current smokers not complaining about anti-smoking 'nazis'? Sounds good to me. I've never smoked so I don't know what you go through but I wish you well :tu:

TheDaddy
07-10-2007, 11:48

That is how I gave up, waited till I got ill, shockingly enough I never craved them and only occasionally think about them, that was over four years ago now, another thing to remember is if you go back to them now all your efforts have been in vain, good luck :tu:

lauzjp
07-10-2007, 11:52
best of luck! :) I have an odd one now and again, when I'm really really stressed but that is quite a rare occassion. I didn't use any gum, patches, etc. I just thought it was getting way too expensive, and just stopped. It was mainly a social thing, and I don't go out anymore, :LOL: so I guess the smoking ban would've done me good

peanut
07-10-2007, 11:53
I will have been smoke free for 1 year on the 16th October. :D

The only way you can stop smoking is when you really want to give up, any doubts and you will fail. Don't give up for anyone other than yourself.

And for health benefits, my asthma suddenly stopped when I quit, I stopped hacking up in the mornings in about a week of stopping. After one week you will feel different in yourself. When you do quit, the self realization becomes strong, you will then smell a smoker within a 1 mile radius and it's shocking (ok slight exagguration but you'll see my point). You'll have more energy too.

I used patches myself, and they worked well for me. Good luck and it's well worth it, keep telling yourself that.

Enuff
07-10-2007, 12:13
Not lit-up for over 7 years... It does get easier as time goes by. Good luck! ;)

superbiatch
07-10-2007, 12:24
Lots of helpful information in this thread IIRC budweisier :tu:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/22/33605738-how-do-support-someone-giving-up.html

EDIT - silly me, forgot to add link (i've only just got up!) ;)

monkey2468
07-10-2007, 12:32
Both me and Mrs Monkey gave up yesterday.:)

Enuff
07-10-2007, 12:35
Good stuff Monkey! The only thing to stop anyone smoking is will power and death!

Knobbly
07-10-2007, 12:37
Thought it would be a good excuse to give up the weed,it`s been over 24 hours now and i think i`m doing ok, everytime i think about cigarettes i ask myself what benefits i get from them, nothing is my answer.
I`ve been smoking for 33 years now and i want to give up so desperately.
Any advice or tips would be really welcome.
How about a seperate thread where all the people wanting to give up anything can post and get help from other people, or does one exist already?
Cheers.
Neil.

I gave up using Champix, it's a 12 week course of medication that for some people (luckily me) took away all the cravings for smoking, it's not without it's downsides though, it regularly made me feel nauseous which seemed to get worse everytime I had anything alcoholic and I also ended up not being able to sleep for a fair while. Worth it in the end though.

superbiatch
07-10-2007, 12:40
I gave up using Champix, it's a 12 week course of medication that for some people (luckily me) took away all the cravings for smoking, it's not without it's downsides though, it regularly made me feel nauseous which seemed to get worse everytime I had anything alcoholic and I also ended up not being able to sleep for a fair while. Worth it in the end though.

Those are the two downsides to using champix unfortunately and very common.

Champix affects the reactors in the brain and takes away the pleasurable effects of a cigarette so much so in the end you wonder why you actually lit the fag up in the first place. Champix has over a 60% success rate within our service atm, which is much more than any other treatment (NRT patches etc)

budwieser
07-10-2007, 14:21
Hope you and Mrs Monkey are as determined as i am to give up mate. I just can`t see any point to it other than it is a habit. I think i`ve got that bit beaten.:) Second time in my life i`ve had any will power.:tu::D

homealone
07-10-2007, 14:24
best of luck, Neil, I also gave up because I got scared by a nasty chest infection - 3 years ago, now, & I have definitely felt the benefit.

- better health
- food tastes so much better
- saved loads of money

I was 'lucky' as we went away for a 2 week holiday, just as I gave up. This got me out of a normal environment, where all the 'cues' were present to feed the psychological habit, to one where smoking was forbidden in most places (airports, hotels, cruise liner) & it really helped.

The theory says that the physical addiction to nicotine is over in around 3 days, if you go 'cold turkey', after that it is the habit that needs to be broken - that first fag in the morning, during breaks at work, in the pub, after a meal, etc are when temptation really hits, but get past that & you've cracked it ..

budwieser
07-10-2007, 14:26
best of luck, Neil, I also gave up because I got scared by a nasty chest infection - 3 years ago, now, & I have definitely felt the benefit.

- better health
- food tastes so much better
- saved loads of money

I was 'lucky' as we went away for a 2 week holiday, just as I gave up. This got me out of a normal environment, where all the 'cues' were present to feed the psychological habit, to one where smoking was forbidden in most places (airports, hotels, cruise liner) & it really helped.

The theory says that the physical addiction to nicotine is over in around 3 days, if you go 'cold turkey', after that it is the habit that needs to be broken - that first fag in the morning, during breaks at work, in the pub, after a meal, etc are when temptation really hits, but get past that & you've cracked it ..
Cheers Gaz, I`m a third of the way through that mate and doing ok.
Got a good feeling this time. Thanks.
Neil.

Nidge
07-10-2007, 18:38
A mate of mine went for hypnosis to stop him from smoking, he was on 40+ a day, he went and did the hypnosis thing and when he came out he got in the car, he went to look for his ciggies and thought to himself what are you doing you don't smoke even though there were some ciggies in his car, that was 11 months ago he's not touched one since. I might give that route a go.

alferret
07-10-2007, 18:44
I gave up in April 2006, got up one moring and decided that enough was enough and I havnt touched one since.
Now all I need to do is get my Helen to give up and jobs a goodun.
At the end of the day, as others have said its all down to how much you want to give up.

All the best for you becoming another non smoker :tu:

Sirius
07-10-2007, 18:50
I used zyban 3 years ago and have not touched a ciggy since.

All the best and good luck, You WILL feel better for it. :tu:

Nidge
07-10-2007, 18:58
I'd love to stop but it's when the boredom kicks in and you reach for a ciggie thats when the problems start.

superbiatch
07-10-2007, 19:02
I'd love to stop but it's when the boredom kicks in and you reach for a ciggie thats when the problems start.

Thats when you need to find something else to do with your hands ;)

Seriously tho, everyone's weakness is different. Some miss the habit, some miss the addiction, some miss both.

For me personally it was like losing something i was forced to give up - even tho it was my choice! You need to keep reinforcing the reasons as to to why you quit in the first place and take any help offered :)

danielf
07-10-2007, 19:06

That'll make the cravings worse. Smokers usually want a fag after sex :dozey:

superbiatch
07-10-2007, 19:12
That'll make the cravings worse. Smokers usually want a fag after sex :dozey:

I didn't say a word :D You could just keep doing it :rolleyes:

homealone
07-10-2007, 19:16
I didn't say a word :D You could just keep doing it :rolleyes:

continuous smoking?? :dunce: :D

superbiatch
07-10-2007, 19:21
continuous smoking?? :dunce: :D

:p:

Something to keep the hands busy is ideal, such as a rubics cube or you can get stress toys etc. I still chew a pen as I've never really gotten over the hand-to-mouth habit to date :rolleyes:

Tezcatlipoca
07-10-2007, 19:23
I've given up several times :erm:

Hugh
07-10-2007, 19:32
I'm lucky - I never started, as I used to wake up every morning to the sound of my mum's hacking cough (she was 60 a day Capstan Full Strength); she eventually passed away from bronchial and emphysema related illness.

It struck me how addictive smoking was when we used to catch her trying to "light up" while attached to an oxygen machine.

This is not attacking smokers, as I believe it is an addiction - I am just happy that people are trying to give up; good luck to all those who are.

Nidge
07-10-2007, 19:55

Seriously tho, everyone's weakness is different. Some miss the habit, some miss the addiction, some miss both.

For me personally it was like losing something i was forced to give up - even tho it was my choice! You need to keep reinforcing the reasons as to to why you quit in the first place and take any help offered :)

For me it's the habit plus the addiction to nicotine, I reckon with the right things in place I can kick the weed.

homealone
07-10-2007, 19:56
:p:

Something to keep the hands busy is ideal, such as a rubics cube or you can get stress toys etc. I still chew a pen as I've never really gotten over the hand-to-mouth habit to date :rolleyes:

you are right, I used to roll my own & the whole ritual of manually making a cigarette was all part of the habit - I find typing & shelling pistachio nuts works for me :)

superbiatch
07-10-2007, 20:09
For me it's the habit plus the addiction to nicotine, I reckon with the right things in place I can kick the weed.

You sound like you've got the right idea, just make use of everything offered to you. Check out your post code here to contact your local service https://data.gosmokefree.co.uk/localservicesearch.aspx

you are right, I used to roll my own & the whole ritual of manually making a cigarette was all part of the habit - I find typing & shelling pistachio nuts works for me :)

Good idea, wish i liked nuts :rolleyes:

lowhydrogen
07-10-2007, 20:19
I'm giving up at the moment too...

i would get multiple chest infections throughout the year and at an annual asthma review was offered nicotine therapy...

been chewing the nicotine gum for just over two months now, easiest addiction i ever gave up. just got to ween off the gum now.... ;)

bw41101
07-10-2007, 20:57
I stopped over 20 years ago and I did it as a dare. Believe me it's not easy, because (I found) that as the cravings became less and less - when you did get them they were extreme. :disturbd:

However, there's no greater feeling when someone offers you a smoke and you turn around (without thinking) and say "no thanks I don't use em" :)

Thankfully with the smoking ban (introduced in all public places) the ordeal should be even easier for you to get through. Anyway, there's always two things (I say to everyone who is thinking/giving up), remember (one) the improvement in your health and (two) giving the chancellor of the exchequer :upyours: with his tobacco tax.

Stick at it..! :D

Sirius
07-10-2007, 22:14
giving the chancellor of the exchequer :upyours: with his tobacco tax.

Stick at it..! :D

That is such a pleasure :)

Angua
07-10-2007, 23:20
If you can rach the point when you can say you have had enough of the ciggies you will succeed. Almost 5 years as a non smoker after 30 years on the cigs. Patches for me but everyone finds their own success story in the end!

Tinky
08-10-2007, 07:37
This (http://www.gosmokefree.co.uk/onlinematerials/videos/)site could be helpful to some. I have been a non smoker for 9 years, I used to smoke 20+ a day for 38 years. I was forced to give up, as tests showed I was heading for a massive stroke. Good luck to all who are trying to give up, don't give up giving up!

monkey2468
08-10-2007, 13:34
I have been on patches for the last few days (used them before) and I was used to having mad dreams, but for the last two nights I have had VERY graphic, erotic dreams!!:eek: Last nights was so bad (good?!), that I felt the need to apologise to the wife this morning when he alarm went off!!:D
I was also in a world war, shopping in a Chinese butchers? that had strange fish in a tank....and plenty more!! :nutter: I don't feel like I have actually been to sleep!!!:tired:

Hugh
08-10-2007, 13:35
Are you sure they are nicotine patches? - or did you buy them from a (cough, cough) "friend"? ;)

Knobbly
08-10-2007, 13:38
I used zyban 3 years ago and have not touched a ciggy since.

That was what I asked my Dr. for before she prescribed Champix, apparently Zyban was a bit too risky as it has contra-indicators with the other drugs I'm on, and nobody (as far as I know) has dropped dead from taking Champix yet.

lauzjp
08-10-2007, 14:19
I have been on patches for the last few days (used them before) and I was used to having mad dreams, but for the last two nights I have had VERY graphic, erotic dreams!!:eek: Last nights was so bad (good?!), that I felt the need to apologise to the wife this morning when he alarm went off!!:D
I was also in a world war, shopping in a Chinese butchers? that had strange fish in a tank....and plenty more!! :nutter: I don't feel like I have actually been to sleep!!!:tired:

:erm: ooer, sounds interesting, what brand are you taking?!

That was what I asked my Dr. for before she prescribed Champix, apparently Zyban was a bit too risky as it has contra-indicators with the other drugs I'm on, and nobody (as far as I know) has dropped dead from taking Champix yet.

Champix sounds like some name for dog biscuits :LOL:

Angua
08-10-2007, 14:23

I think they are too quick to stick people on the 24 hour ones which seem to have all the strange and varied side effects (these made me faint). Was fine with just the daytime ones myself as these are not nearly so strong.

monkey2468
08-10-2007, 14:29
:erm: ooer, sounds interesting, what brand are you taking?!
snip
Taking boots own brand.

---------- Post added at 14:29 ---------- Previous post was at 14:27 ----------

Are you sure they are nicotine patches? - or did you buy them from a (cough, cough) "friend"? ;)

Dunno, found them in my drug cupboard, Boots own and say 15mg on them, but they are still in date!

Hugh
08-10-2007, 14:53
Taking boots own brand.
Dunno, found them in my drug cupboard, Boots own and say 15mg on them, but they are still in date!
Boots own brand lysergic acid diethylamide by the sound of it. :D

superbiatch
08-10-2007, 14:55

Knobbly - Zyban has contra-indications with many medications and wasn't originally designed to be used in smoking cessation. Its actually an anti-depressant, which was found to help soldiers during the vietnam war (bit of history for your there ;))

Champix on the other hand was designed specifically for smoking cessation treatments and is looking to be very successful within our stop smoking service (over 60% of people setting a quit date are still quit a month later). Champix also has very few side effects the main ones being nausea and sleep problems.

peanut
08-10-2007, 15:19
I too had vivid dreams whilst being on the 24 hour patches, strange that, that's one of the main things I remember from when I gave up.

superbiatch
08-10-2007, 15:28
I too had vivid dreams whilst being on the 24 hour patches, strange that, that's one of the main things I remember from when I gave up.

There is no problem with removing a 24 hour patch when you go to bed, in fact I too suffered with nightmares and used it for approx 16 hours a day. There aren't many people who smoke continuously 24 hours a day who would reuire a 24 hour patch, but it all depends on what discounts are given to pharmacies in order to promote which product in my experience ;)

bw41101
11-10-2007, 00:36
I too had vivid dreams whilst being on the 24 hour patches,

In retrospect that does make sense, especially when you consider that the patches contain nicotine - which is a stimulant. I suppose the effect of nicotine being induced into the bloodstream (whilst one is asleep) could manifest unusual dream effects. :tired:

This kind of side effect could prove useful if (in the future) it was possible to put people to sleep for extended periods, E.g long space journeys. Mild stimulants (like nicotine) could be used to induce REM type episodes (dream states) so essential to an individuals well being - interesting theory! :scratch:

Si thee