PDA

View Full Version : cancellation at end of 12 months

darkrage
06-10-2007, 17:52
Hi - i will be cancelling vm at the end of my 12 months due to the poor 20mg service i get. yes the speed may be 18mg to dl and 700kB up but within this i get 20% - 50% packet loss which makes for a poor gaming experience online.

anyone else going to dump vm at the end of their contractual term - i will be changing back to adsl 8mg with zen internet may be a similar price but it is stable with 0% pl.

i feel vm have let the gaming community down by selling a product that is not capable of performing to what we need.

pl is a part of the internet package - but companies should aim to get rid of this by having the right amount of people connected to their lines and not over sell the product.

atleast some companies can do this.

Mick Fisher
06-10-2007, 21:23
Hi - i will be cancelling vm at the end of my 12 months due to the poor 20mg service i get. yes the speed may be 18mg to dl and 700kB up but within this i get 20% - 50% packet loss which makes for a poor gaming experience online.

anyone else going to dump vm at the end of their contractual term - i will be changing back to adsl 8mg with zen internet may be a similar price but it is stable with 0% pl.

i feel vm have let the gaming community down by selling a product that is not capable of performing to what we need.

pl is a part of the internet package - but companies should aim to get rid of this by having the right amount of people connected to their lines and not over sell the product.

I think an ever increasing number are continually monitoring their connections and reviewing their options.

For a number (including myself) who have already had their fingers burned by shady ADSL Co's operating to within a hair's breath of outright fraud, actually taking the plunge is a bit of an undertaking when their connections although poor but not completely useless as yet.

nicke261192
06-10-2007, 22:00

Dont forget to take into account that
your computer, modem or router may be the problem not your ISP

philehidiot
06-10-2007, 23:48
Dont forget to take into account that
your computer, modem or router may be the problem not your ISP

Indeed.

My computer is an E6600 with 2GB of RAM. It functions very well indeed using the wifi connection over a wireless network.
My modem is supplied by VM and works fine through every conceivable test.
My router has a 1ms latency and requires occasional restarts about once a week to clear the DHCP cache.
The server "80-0-50-154.no-dns-yet.ntli.net" through which my packets are routed is the most unreliable pile of rubbish going. I suffer packet loss which destroys internet gaming and causes several web pages to error 404 on me. Ironically, this happened with my speed test which eventually came through as 2.75mb/s - far short of the 4mb/s service. I am aware that this is a theoretical maximum, etc, etc.

This is not an isolated incident as I had the same problem at the previous address where I had a VM/NTL connection. Add into the mix that I had to PAY THEM tech support fees to get the service working to begin with (as well as waste 4 hours of my life) thanks to a fault on their end. I'll be ending my contract ASAP and giving my money to a company which provide a service which is fit for purpose. Gaming support is naturally part of a consumer broadband package - I don't pay for a 4mb connection to look at a few web pages.

Also, this utter twaddle about "ultra reliable" is just (in my opinion) a complete lie. Uptime is good, but the sheer amount of packet loss is not a sign of a reliable service. An ISP is supposed to deliver packets of data to and from the internet - in this context it is not reliable, not stable and not suitable for the purpose for which I am paying for this service.

In summary:

Good points about VM:
-it keeps that li'l green light on most of the time.
-errr...

Bad points about VM:
-terrible packet loss (to the point where it isn't fit for purpose in my opinion)
-you have to pay for them to fix their mistakes
-tech support assume you are a moron until proven otherwise ("I've TRIED turning it all on and off in different orders, please get to the bit where I'm not being charged a fortune to repeat basic tasks")
-expensive (maybe not for new customers but for me it is)

I am debating if to demand they release me from the contract early and am contacting trading standards for advice. I refuse to pay more money for mindless drones to take me through the "turn it off and on" rubbish when the problem is clearly a chronically broken infrastructure.

darkrage
07-10-2007, 00:05
my pc is a quad core q6600 with 8 gig of ram and a terrabyte (1x 500g 2x 150g raptors 1 x 200g) of hd space and an 88oogtx video card so i think my pc is not the problem -

trust me my pc and equipment is not the problem with or without the router i get constant packet loss the packets are being lost at an ntl server - i have sent 1000 packets 1000 times to gaming servers and i lose alot of packets - i have been with zen before and i know they are good although they charge alot for their service.

i dont suppose you are an indian technical help line employee nicke261192 because all they do is blame equipment too. (before u get irrate that was a joke =)

i have had my modem settings changed 3 times by ntl due to them being unable to give the 20m service although i can and have had 24m dl speeds mostly im getting 18m which in its self is very good (now) - but the packet loss on this service cripples online gaming hence why i posted to see other peoples views unfortunatly for me i have 8 months of a contract left but when this is up i will be going back to adsl with a 20/1 contention ratio not like this vm 2000/1 contention ratio at peak times (best guess btw) and then get some throttling in the mix and pl.

and if you read the forums im not the only one who is getting crippled by this ive read alot about WoW vm people who cant play it any more due to vm's pl
if my connection was stable to the point of 0% pl and a constant up/down speed this service would be amazing but alas it isnt so i will be leaving.:dunce: