PDA

View Full Version : NTL Business up/download mystery

IP-MAN
05-10-2007, 22:12
Hello Everybody,

I do have a strange problem with my up and download speed with NTL Business 10Mbit. If I download a file (1 or higher mbit) the upload drops from 700kbps to about 70-90kbps :shocked: . I am using VOIP with an Asterisk PBX Server and I should make about 10 simultaneous calls with very good quality with this upload speed (700kbps) or even more.

Also if I upload something say a file about 300kb, I am not able to make a VOIP call or it rings but the caller on the other end can't hear me but I can hear him. And I am also not able to upload another small file (200kb) at the same time. It looks like that I can do only one thing (file) at the time. However the maximum calls I can make are 2 simultaneous if I do a 3rd call all calls lose the uploaded voice even if one or two of the 3 calls are finished. 1 Call takes about 80kbps per way by 3 calls its around around 180-200kpbs. The mystery is that it is always around 170Kbps upload where everything brakes up. I have already tried 2 different routers now I am using opensuse (linux) as a router to control everything and might find something. Already called NTL Support they said everything is ok and told me they do not support VOIP.

Has someone the same mystery that the upload brakes up if you download something (even if you not using VOIP) ?

Chris W
05-10-2007, 23:38
:welcome: are you using QoS?

Muppetz
06-10-2007, 10:07
What have the business UK based freephone support people said ?

Graham M
06-10-2007, 10:18
If you max out the Upload bandwidth then the Download will suffer, that is a failing of the TCP/IP protocol

IP-MAN
06-10-2007, 23:55
Thank you for your help.

Would make QoS a improvement even if the upload brakes up if I try to make 3 calls not using the internet at all? I mean I have a 700kbps upload speed. I tested in few online speed tests also the modem show this amount. By the way I have used BT before I moved and I had only 5.5mb down and 512kb up but I could do 4 simultaneous calls without quality problems. But I must say that I have used a different router called DSL Fritzbox Fon Wlan which as a kind of Traffic shaping and QoS. I am not sure that could have a massive impact as my upload actually now increased and it shouldn't be a problem to upload VOIP of around 200kb without losing quality?

What if I would max out the download, would the upload suffer?

Could be there a problem with the Protocols or conflicts? As I stated that my upload brakes dramatically if I start downloading. I suggest when the VOIP increase the download than it cause problem by the upload if I making a specific amount of calls.

IP-MAN
07-10-2007, 19:41
Hello,

the problem is solved. Its a QoS issue. I have pluged the Fritzbox directly to the modem and it works. :dunce:

Hello Everybody,

I do have a strange problem with my up and download speed with NTL Business 10Mbit. If I download a file (1 or higher mbit) the upload drops from 700kbps to about 70-90kbps :shocked: . I am using VOIP with an Asterisk PBX Server and I should make about 10 simultaneous calls with very good quality with this upload speed (700kbps) or even more.

Also if I upload something say a file about 300kb, I am not able to make a VOIP call or it rings but the caller on the other end can't hear me but I can hear him. And I am also not able to upload another small file (200kb) at the same time. It looks like that I can do only one thing (file) at the time. However the maximum calls I can make are 2 simultaneous if I do a 3rd call all calls lose the uploaded voice even if one or two of the 3 calls are finished. 1 Call takes about 80kbps per way by 3 calls its around around 180-200kpbs. The mystery is that it is always around 170Kbps upload where everything brakes up. I have already tried 2 different routers now I am using opensuse (linux) as a router to control everything and might find something. Already called NTL Support they said everything is ok and told me they do not support VOIP.

Has someone the same mystery that the upload brakes up if you download something (even if you not using VOIP) ?