PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else trying to talk to servers on the rapidswitch network from Virgin?

system11
04-10-2007, 20:57
I bought a server co-location service recently from 49pence.com. Recommended by a friend. Anyway, server went live today and while I've tested it and seen good speed from a variety of places across the globe, that variety seemingly doesn't include Virgin, meaning I can't really do much from home with it. Speed can be as high as 1000k/s, and as low as 4k/s (or stalling entirely). Looking at traces, the problem starts where Virgin and Rapidswitch shake hands - Rapidswitch of course say it's Virgins fault.

Is there a support email address for Virgin anymore or any I going to be forced to speak to the 'reboot your PC' people and then read trace information to them over the phone?

onionterror
04-10-2007, 21:19
Good luck with that one.

My main gaming servers are on rapidswitch and since joining VM I've averaged out at pings of about 250-350ms.

I'll quote some stuff the server owner has said about VM having problems with rapidswitch-

"Try providing them with the traceroutes i provided."
(I've done this til I'm blue in the face)
"Basically VM are totally overloaded and they need to rebalance their gateways."
"Our hosting site has a 1gbit internet link to NTL which peeks at only 20% use. However, thats irrelevent when NTL can't even hold up the connection through their own network. "
"You can try to get them to talk directly with RapidSwitch if they are still pointing the fingers. As VM and RapidSwitch are peered (ie, they have a mutual agreement and pipe between their networks), then they should be able to talk."

Edit : Sorry, I know this doesn't actually help, but at least you know you're not alone :(

system11
04-10-2007, 21:31
I might be being dumb here, but I can't find any addresses to contact Virgin support, just that premium rate phone number. Is that the only option now for contacting them?

Switching ISP has never looked so tempting.

onionterror
04-10-2007, 21:37
There's always the 'Remote Assistance' thing where you can talk to an "Expert".

It's on the VM site if you click "Contact Us".

It's very hit and miss whether you get someone though.
Also, the button is usually invisible (for me anyway), but just slowly hover around and you might find it..

system11
04-10-2007, 21:57
Shame, doesn't seem to like ex-NTL users so I can't sign in to pester them.

As much as I hate BT (a long and very painful ID theft story), I think I might call them to get our line switched back on, and go talk to Zen. I've been displeased with NTL/Virgin for a long time, especially with regards to actually talking to someone about network issues - final nail in the coffin.

Oh - and I've managed to prove rapidswitch work fine through Zen, which happen to enter their network on the exact same exchange as Virgin use, which pretty much confirms what Rapidswitch said, and what you posted.