PDA

View Full Version : Email problems with Outlook2003....

colinuk
03-10-2007, 13:28
Been with Virgin for about 8 years now, started witha phone system, now with Virgin Media.

Brother owns the account and me and my mum have sub email addys. Everything was fine when we used Outlook, or Office 2000. We could send and get emails from our own accounts.

Now, lastw eek my hard drive went nutz, replaced it and upgraded to office 2003 [upgrade for me!] and did the same for my brother.

Brother can get and send emails with no hassle.
Mum, still using outlook 200 can also send and get emails.
Me, can send emails, bu CAN NOT get emails at all.

Now i know the settings are right, same as what i used last time, i can even use a web browser and go in that way so my account is there and my username/password is working, so why not on a new pc with outlook 2003?

Anyone else got any ideas? i could buy 2007, but if thats not going to work either, seems alot of money wasted for a test.

Please dont tell me it only works with outlook 2000 for sub email addys? Or can i get my email addy moved to its own account?

TYIA

Colin

Richy99
03-10-2007, 13:31
whats the error message that outlook is giving you?

Hugh
03-10-2007, 13:38
VM/NTL mail works with sub-addresses on Outlook 2003 - It's what I use on one computer (livemail on another).

colinuk
03-10-2007, 14:35
I think it gave me an error like -ERD disk error. and a load of other writing but its my home PC and im in work till the weekend.

Its anoying as i cant get my emails down to my pc, but can see them via IE. The account is ok for my mum and brother, just mine, which was working ok with outlook200 but not with 2003...

Guess tis time i dropped Virgin and went with my own account for an email, prob is as ive used this for 6+ years, everyone knows it.

arr well...

Itshim
03-10-2007, 15:06
Not that this will help you but outlook 2003 is all I have ever used. Don`t think your problem is that program or virgin BB again all I have ever used. Worked as soon as I put it on.:dozey:

colinuk
03-10-2007, 15:17
Not that this will help you but outlook 2003 is all I have ever used. Don`t think your problem is that program or virgin BB again all I have ever used. Worked as soon as I put it on.:dozey:

?? ok...

But is your email the 3rd one in the list of the account? mine is like this

Brother [owner of account] - works with 2000 and 2003
Mother - works with 2000
Mine - works with 2000 but can not recieve anything in 2003.

maybe its me, the only odd thing i have is in and out servers are set as pop.virgin.mail. Tried smtp.virgin.mail and although the test conenction works on both, i can send emails, just not pull any thing down.

The other thing i tried is this. Put my brothers settings into the outlook 2003 and it downlaoded his emails no hassle. Changed it to my account settigns, username, email and password, wouldnt download. to me thats an idication of a server side issue.

Richy99
03-10-2007, 15:20
you got cable or adsl?

and it sounds more like an issue with your pc/outlook configuration than anything else, if you can login with webmail then the server is working, your login is working, outlook is borking along the lines

firewall installed that hasnt given outlook permission to access the net?

Hugh
03-10-2007, 15:21
I have 7 emails addresses on my Outlook 2003, and they all work (using VM 4Mb BB) - they also work on my LiveMail account on my Laptop (again using VM 4M BB).

You may be throwing the baby out with the bathwater if you drop VM BB because of this, as it may not be VM BB causing the issue (imho).

colinuk
03-10-2007, 15:25
No, what i mean by leaving the virgin is the email addy, i think i have a NTL one somewhere and will have to swap to that one, i didnt mean to drop all of virgin over this lol, even im not that mad....yet...

The only things i have on that pc are - WOW - office 2003 and PS-CS2. no firewalls or AVTK.

Maybe im missing something on the settings, but cant explain why it downloads my brothers emails, but not mine.

I am on Cable. Ive tried the helpdesk, indian script reader, didnt hellpp as he went through the script and then said there was nothing else he could do to help and hung up lol.

Richy99
03-10-2007, 15:26
are they different computers tho?

have you tried setting up outlook express as atest?

absthechatter
03-10-2007, 15:41
[quote=colinuk;34407735
the only odd thing i have is in and out servers are set as pop.virgin.mail. Tried smtp.virgin.mail and although the test conenction works on both, i can send emails, just not pull any thing down.

[/quote]

I think the pop and smtp settings should both be 'mail.virgin.net'
Does not explain why your brothers would work and yours does not though.

Your user name should be the bit before the @
so... if your email was john.smith@virgin.net, then your user name would be john.smith

I sure you know, and have done that, but I have had times where I have done it wrong and sat there looking at it for hours and cannot see the problem.

Abs

colinuk
03-10-2007, 15:45
My brother has his own laptop and outlook2003 works ok on that.

We. for a test, put his details onto my pc, for outlook2003, and it downloaded his emails ok. We change the password, username and email back to mine, left all the settings the same, in and out servers ect and it still will not download my emails. Put my settings onto his laptop, same thing, can send emails, test conenction works fine, cant download emails.

Back to snail mail for me lol

colinuk
05-10-2007, 20:48
Here is the error i get when i try to download emails with outlook2003.

Task 'mail.virgin.net - Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC90) : 'Your incoming (POP3) e-mail server has reported an internal error. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP). The server responded: -ERR cannot open disk file error 2'

Hope it helps someone as i cant get past this. Turn off all firewalls, AVTK and anything else i can think of, guess its another INDIAN call tomorrow to see if they can help, but i doubt it.

Colin - getting anoyed now.

fatassmichael
05-10-2007, 22:50
Colin, you say your on cable, yet your using an virgin.net (adsl) email address, so do you get your internet through a coax cable?

absthechatter
06-10-2007, 09:02
The 'ERR' part shows there is an error with the POP3 incoming mail server. Usually this is where an incorrect POP address is input, but as you have double checked this, is must be something else. Could you go in to the web mail and see how many emails you have (and whether they are large). Perhaps you have exceeded storage limit, or there is a dodgy email in there stopping the download. If so, try deleting all the messages in there. Then give it 10 minutes or so and try using Outlook again.

What is the end bit of your email address, the bit that comes after the @

Abs

colinuk
06-10-2007, 10:14
The cable looks like a thick white cable. We use to be with Virgin on a dial up modem, and as everyone i know, knows this email addy, have kept it. But i am now on VM 20mb cable package.

The bit on the end of my email is @virgin.net - I have about 269 emails waiting for me, but this issue was here when i 1st wiped my pc and tried to log into my emails, then i only had 2 waiting for me, both outlook test messages.

Thanks for the interest though, aprieciate it.

Colin

My gut feeling, something hardware wise on the server. But hey, what do i know lol.

absthechatter
06-10-2007, 11:06
It could be server, but problem seems to have lasted too long for that.

Sometimes Outlook just plays silly games. Try going in to Outlook and deleting your email account, then add it again as a new one, using mail.virgin.net as your POP3 settings.

Also, have you checked security settings in your anti virus & firewall to make sure that receiving email from that account is allowed? Norton is well known for causing these sorts of problems.

Abs

ambc_666
07-10-2007, 00:05
i didnt read this being asked so not sure if it was, can you log into the email address on the web? if you can get your emails from here https://webmail.virgin.net/cp/ps/Main/login/Login?d=virgin.net

then the fault isnt with them its with outlook, if you cant get emails from the site then give them a call ;)

colinuk
08-10-2007, 07:35
Cheers guys. here is an update lol...

Deleted my email account from outlook, no change when added back. Removed outlook itself and reinstalled - no change again.

Deleted all my emails in the inbox from the IE7 browser, now i cant get any emails from it at all, with outlook or IE7. My brothers and mums still work. When i used outlook2000 it worked, but i do remeber that when i recieved emails it always had an error at the end.

I rang virgin on the 50p a min line, greeat service. Some Indian guy i could just about make out asked me all me all my details for 3-4 mins then told me there was nothing they could do and hung up...so that was £1.50p well spent.

I think the server where my emails are kept has gone pear shaped.

Now the only way i can get my emails is to use IE7 and search the inbox for my mails. Not good.

think its time to give up as Virgin support are no help at all, time i switched to another email provider.

ColiN - still anoyed and still trying to read my emails.

Richy99
08-10-2007, 13:41
sounds more like a fault on your email account in the system, contact them and see if there is a fault with it

colinuk
08-10-2007, 14:35
I agree Richy99 - but how do i get in touch, the guys on the £0.50p a min line are useless and im paying for it...

If it was £1 a min and someone on the other end was helpful and knew what they were talking about i may do it, will give it one last go tonight.

Colin

absthechatter
09-10-2007, 09:55
You could try connecting to the server via telnet, that may give you more of an idea whether problem is server related.

Replace your incoming mail server details with,
telnet mail.virgin.net 110

Leave all other details the same. let us know what happens when you try to send and receive then.

Abs

ambc_666
09-10-2007, 12:35
I think the server where my emails are kept has gone pear shaped.

Now the only way i can get my emails is to use IE7 and search the inbox for my mails. Not good.

think its time to give up as Virgin support are no help at all, time i switched to another email provider.

ColiN - still anoyed and still trying to read my emails.

if you can access emails on IE7 on the mailbox then its the program thats the problem, it cannot be a server issue as if its was the pop server you wouldnt get emails period. also the line is 25p per minute not 50p. so it didnt cost you as much as you though and if they operate the way ex-telewest does then the indian agent did his job as i think they only support outlook express.

does it download any emails at all? or give the error straight away? and also what anti-virus do you have?

colinuk
09-10-2007, 17:40
Have tried my email account on 3 different PC's and 1 laptop, i ge the same error on all of them. Now i admit i have not used anything other than office2003, thats all i have. So will try a new email program, think someone said it was called thunderbird? and see how that goes. I doubt its my PC as it works for other accounts. Still, i could be wrong.
As for the Indian doing there job, why bother keeping me on the phone for 3-4 mins and then tell me there is nothing they can do?, smells of a scam to me.

I have no AVTK on the pc atm, all i have is office2003, WOW and CS2. thats is. turned off the firewall too in windows. Its the fact i get this error on other pc's for myaccount, and yet i can download otehr peoples emails on my pc. Got to be server side issues? doesnt it?

ColiN - thank god for IE7...

ambc_666
09-10-2007, 21:46
its the fact that you can get onto it via web is getting to me, if your trying it on multiple pc's then fine i can see what you mean by server side but if you can access it via the web then i cant see it being server side.

fatassmichael
09-10-2007, 23:39
colin, have you tried ticking the box to use "Log on using Secure Password Authentication (SPA)"? This option is under Tools, Email accounts, view or change existing, highlight your mail.virgin.net account and click change,
Or, have you tried ticking the box where it says "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication"? again, same steps to get there, but click on the more settings button, then outgoing server tab, tick the relevant box and click ok out of it.

colinuk
10-10-2007, 10:16
Tried the SPA box too, came back with the error that the server does not require SPA.

Tried everything i can on this side really. Even downloaded thunderbird, same error, installed office 2007, now i got somewhere with this, it down loaded 1 email, then stopped dead, as if it was trying to down load but couldnt. I have deleted all the emails twice now incase one of them was faulty, but i think its a case of a email on a bad block that is causing errors.

I could be worng, but when i cant download from 4 PC's......

colinuk
11-10-2007, 08:55
A well, went back to outlook express last night, found it at last hiding away ina folder. Thought id lost it as it wasnton the start bar.

This downloaded the emails for me, but again, te last one, the last email has a disk error attached to it. So i think what has happened here is outlook2003 downloads emails the other way from outlook express, ie, comes across the faulty email 1st and then stops downloading where as outlook express finds it last and then stops.

Problem i have now is my mail box is empty yet all the email programs i use, 2003 and thunderbird say there is one email and cant download and even outlook express says there is one email and it has a disk error lol... ar well, who would have guessed the 2003 does it backwards?

Cheers for the help guys, appricate it.

Now to get rid of that disk error and i can use my 2003 cd's once more lol...

Colin, mostly happy now.

Hugh
11-10-2007, 09:29
Glad you solved the problem.

Tightscot
11-10-2007, 10:53
A well, went back to outlook express last night, found it at last hiding away ina folder. Thought id lost it as it wasnton the start bar.

If this happens and you can't find it you can always start outlook express by clicking Start>Run and typing 'msimn.exe' (no quotes) in the run dialog box.

Then hit enter and voila!

this will open windows mail on vista too as it's the same exe file...

might be useful to others?

colinuk
11-10-2007, 12:31
Chers Tightscot.

not really fixed it, just got a program that seems to load the emails from the other way round when cmpared to outlook2003. Still cant get Virgin to fix it though.

Richy99
11-10-2007, 12:53
virgin to fix what? most email clients download from oldest message to newest, thats how they are stored on the server