PDA

View Full Version : (Seemingly) Random Disconnects and Slow Downs

deckmonkey
30-09-2007, 17:21
Hi all

Even after the re-branded NTL hoovered up Telewest (an event I feared for sure), my connection was perfectly OK and almost always a rock solid 4mbps. However, of late I have been finding days when my connection slows down to snails pace even when there has been no significant usage (and therefore traffic shaping cannot be suspected) and I get disconnected a lot. This is especially irritating when I am playing poker tournaments as you lose money as a result of the disconnect. I wouldn't mind the odd one - goes with the territory really as no connection is perfect - but I am finding I get disconnected randomly and then struggle to keep a connection for more than a few minutes before it's gone again.

I have checked the security of my wireless network and it's locked down more securely than Charles Manson so I know it isn't an external influence. I have also checked what traffic is going from each computer on my network and I know that the only heavy user is myself but my usage seems to have no bearing on when these problems occur.

Is anyone else having this trouble (I'm in Bath, BA2)? I have, after some searching, found the VM service status page and there is no mention of such a problem in my area and I am loathe to ring their retarded premium rate number because they will claim it's not their fault so they don't have to refund me the cost of the call. I also can't use the service status phone line because it doesn't work unless you have a VM phone line. Seeing as I don't have a landline at all because I don't need one, I feel rather annoyed about this rather stupid restriction.

If I am not alone in experiencing this, especially in my area, then I probably will ring the premium rate line (which, incidentally, is something I'm not happy about as one of the bets things about Telewest was the availability of decent tech support on a non-premium rate line. Yet another good service ruined by the prats in charge of NTL). If not, then I might try the Scientific Atlanta modem I have in place of the crappy SurfBoard, which I've never really liked anyway.

Cheers

Steve

Bonglet
30-09-2007, 17:55
sounds like your modem is on its way out or someone in your area is cloning your modem and since a cloned ip cant be on the same local ubr you get disconnected as you both fight for the ip i hope you get your problem solved soon but your speeds will still be pretty bad with the randomness that is 20mb.

Stuart
30-09-2007, 18:27
If I am not alone in experiencing this, especially in my area, then I probably will ring the premium rate line (which, incidentally, is something I'm not happy about as one of the bets things about Telewest was the availability of decent tech support on a non-premium rate line. Yet another good service ruined by the prats in charge of NTL). If not, then I might try the Scientific Atlanta modem I have in place of the crappy SurfBoard, which I've never really liked anyway.

Cheers

Steve

Err, the people that ran Telewest are running the whole company now. Also, your modem is registered to your account. If you attempt to change it, the new modem won't work, and you will be in breach of the terms and conditions of service if you attempt to use it.

You will need to call Virgin. If they refuse to refund the cost of the call, you can fight that later.

deckmonkey
30-09-2007, 19:14
As I understood it, it's the NTL lot who are running the show, not Telewest? Well anyway, I can change the modem as the new one was supplied by Telewest as well - the only reason I haven't so far is because the phone line for registering the hardware is only open when I'm at work but I have made enquiries about it before and there was no problem doing it according to VM. I guess I'll give it a go and see what happens.

what?
30-09-2007, 19:27
hey
go to the modem config page 192.168.100.1 (on ie address bar)
go to the status page
the ds freq on the should be 331000000/339000000
chances r if connections dropping regularly this is sitting at 330750000/331250000
if it is go to 192.168.100.1/gscan.htm
go to where it says starting frequency and type in 331000000
then click the button that say "click here to restart ur modem"
(the page refreshes roughly every 30 seconds so u have to b quite quik)

if the frequency is fine post on here the downstream power/ downstream snr and upstream power.

hope this helps

deckmonkey
30-09-2007, 20:46
Hi

The frequency is at 331000000 (don't have a page called gscan.htm on this SB - maybe a different model, not sure of my exact model number without going to the modem 4 floors down (big house!), but I'll take a look when I next traipse down there). From the Signal page I have the following readings:

Downstream
Frequency 331000000 Hz Locked
Signal to Noise Ratio 40 dB
Power Level 4 dB

Upstream
Channel ID 2
Frequency 22200000 Hz Ranged
Power Level 55 dBmV

what?
06-10-2007, 12:00
hey, at the moment all you're levels r within range

the upstream power is borderline tho, normally wouldn't want that to b above 56 (tho it can work outside this range) it could b that when you're connection is dropping that power level is spiking well out of range which is causing the drop
check that page next time the conn goes down for the upstream power level

192.168.100.1/gscan.htm is a page you should be abel to access if you're on the telewest side.

moaningmags
06-10-2007, 15:28
he won't he's using the surfboard modem doesnt have gscan page

Shootist
06-10-2007, 17:01
I'm having the exact same problems as deckmonkey using a samsung set-top box (so no cloning possible afaik). This has only been for about 4 days and the service was pretty much perfect before then.

The server status page at virgin's website shows dozens and dozens of outages all over the country over the last few days, when there were only a few beforehand.

Are VM having huge national 'net problems at the moment?

Mick Fisher
06-10-2007, 22:49
I'm having the exact same problems as deckmonkey using a samsung set-top box (so no cloning possible afaik). This has only been for about 4 days and the service was pretty much perfect before then.

The server status page at virgin's website shows dozens and dozens of outages all over the country over the last few days, when there were only a few beforehand.

Are VM having huge national 'net problems at the moment?
Judging by the, ever increasing, number of reports detailing faults that appear here it would seem that VM's network is melting down quite nicely. :)

Hugh
06-10-2007, 23:48
Judging by the, ever increasing, number of reports detailing faults that appear here it would seem that VM's network is melting down quite nicely. :)
Why does it please you (and I quote ":)") that the network is "melting down quite nicely"? The people most affected will be the customers (of which I am one).

I am not defending VM, as I do not believe they should have offered 20Mb when it appears the network has issues supporting it, but if you are going on the complaints posted here, if 1000 (and that is probably on the high side) people have posted complaints, out of 3,500,000 customers that is 1 in 3500, or 0.03%.

Most internal business networks don't offer 99.97% uptime.

Stuart
06-10-2007, 23:55
As I understood it, it's the NTL lot who are running the show, not Telewest?

AFAIK, it is the case (hence the decision to use the TV Drive as the basis for V+ rather than the more advanced model NTL were going to use).

ambc_666
07-10-2007, 00:15
Upstream
Channel ID 2
Frequency 22200000 Hz Ranged
Power Level 55 dBmV

yes the upstream pwr lvl is too high, call the premium rate number, tell them that your power lvl is high and your getting an intermittent connection. tell them that your pwr lvl goes up when the connection drops and they'll tech it. it should resolve your problem

Mick Fisher
07-10-2007, 08:19
Why does it please you (and I quote ":)") that the network is "melting down quite nicely"? The people most affected will be the customers (of which I am one).

I am not defending VM, as I do not believe they should have offered 20Mb when it appears the network has issues supporting it, but if you are going on the complaints posted here, if 1000 (and that is probably on the high side) people have posted complaints, out of 3,500,000 customers that is 1 in 3500, or 0.03%.

Most internal business networks don't offer 99.97% uptime.
Ooops, did I touch a nerve? I didn't quote any statistics. I leave that to the experts of which, presumably, you are one?
I merely commented, in answer to the OP's query Are VM having huge national 'net problems at the moment? which I emboldened for clarity, that judging by the ever increasing number of complaint posts we see here that they probably were. A pity my smiley upset you, it was not to signify amusement at other peoples difficulties with the network (of which I am also a victim) but at VM's ineptitude in administering the 20meg upgrade, here's a :( are you happier now? In any case If I had wanted to convey any vast amusement on my part about the situation I would have used a :LOL:
You say you do not defend VM but you sure get upset when people just point out, what is clear for all to see, about a company that does not deliver what it claims but hypes it's services up out of all proportion.

Oh and for the record, please show me where I said anything at all about uptime. :confused:

Hugh
07-10-2007, 10:34
You didn't touch a nerve, I just try to be evenhanded (unusual, I know ;)).

I do have a background in managing large networks, which is why I tried to bring a realistic comparison in between in-house networks and the VM consumer network - sorry for bringing facts into the thread. :D

xpod
07-10-2007, 11:51

As far as actual complaints go....i wonder how many home users even know what speeds they should have and of those who do know i wonder how many ever check....or know how to.??

Mabey i just assume too much from the couple of dozen(?) home home users i`ve helped out round these parts over time but practically nobody i know(or have met) really knew what speeds they were on or indeed what they getting at any particular time.

In fact,2 were on 20Mb that just should`nt even have been on 20Mb so i wonder how many more people are sold packages they just dont need.

Even myself at first.....if the BB was ON it was ok.Only if it was OFF would i have thought there was a problem.
Of course,i know a wee bit better noo;)