PDA

View Full Version : dns forwarding to my pwp site

gazzer
30-09-2007, 09:28
hi all, just a quickie...........
i have built a family based webby and decided to buy my own domain name to point at it so it looks better then having a pwp in the name.
main problem is i cannot see what i have to point the primary and secondary dns addy's at on my site so it redirects the domain name to my own pages.
can anyone help an owld fart who's pulling his hair out please he he.
many thanks in advance gazz
ps it is of course a blueyonder site.

Graham M
30-09-2007, 10:50
You can't do it that way, it isn't supported, you will just have to make do with a redirect (should be achievable in your domain's Control Panel) to your BY address

gazzer
30-09-2007, 12:03
hi there zeph,
yeah i knew it would be by a redirect but to what? i need a primary and secondary dns to redirect to.thats my prob ya see bud.

chickendippers
30-09-2007, 12:17
Most registrars offer the ability to redirect your domain, so if a visitor typed www.yourdomain.com (http://www.yourdomain.com) they'd be taken to http://mysite.pwp.blueyonder.com.

If you want to use nameservers you'll need to buy some fully-featured web hosting.

gazzer
30-09-2007, 12:25
err i may be coming across wrong here.........
my pwp site is www.patngazz.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk (http://www.patngazz.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk)
i have registered the domain name of the www.thejukebox.org.uk (http://www.thejukebox.org.uk)
and in my discount domain admin section i require a primary and secondary dns to point the domain name at.
i have tried patngazz.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk and all sorts of variations of it to no avail.
vm dont want to help me it appears or cannot and the help pages are about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.
so once again can anyone help me with the primary and secondary dns info i require to point this name at my site please.
(now bald with all hair pulling goin on)

homealone
30-09-2007, 15:38
err i may be coming across wrong here.........
my pwp site is www.patngazz.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk (http://www.patngazz.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk)
i have registered the domain name of the www.thejukebox.org.uk (http://www.thejukebox.org.uk)
and in my discount domain admin section i require a primary and secondary dns to point the domain name at.
i have tried patngazz.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk and all sorts of variations of it to no avail.
vm dont want to help me it appears or cannot and the help pages are about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.
so once again can anyone help me with the primary and secondary dns info i require to point this name at my site please.
(now bald with all hair pulling goin on)

this may be an option available in your domain name control panel. You should have been given details of how to log into that when you signed up. You will need to use the name servers provided by your domain registrar & look for something like 'URL forwarding'.

- as far as I know not all registrars offer the service for free, though?

It isn't anything that can be setup from the VM side, which is why they cannot help.

Richy99
01-10-2007, 12:31
you need to use masked url forwarding, the change of name servers will not work for this type of setup, i know exactly what your trying to do but you need to use url forwarding, who did you register the domain with?

v0id
01-10-2007, 13:31
If your domain registra doesn't allow masked url forwarding or redircting, you'll have to use the service of dyndns (http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/) or the like.

Mr_love_monkey
01-10-2007, 13:32
If your domain registra doesn't allow masked url forwarding or redircting, you'll have to use the service of dyndns (http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/) or the like.

or transfer to someone who does :)

amateurfool
01-10-2007, 14:03
Looking at http://www.discountdomainsuk.com it does say that they do "web forwarding", so the OP would need to reset his domain settings to default and then add his pwp address to the web forwarding configuration in the domain admin page.

How http://www.discountdomainsuk.com can call themselves "Discount domains" and not get taken to the cleaners by trading standards, £5 P/A for a .uk domain is twice as much as you would pay at a lot of other hosting providers.

Graham M
01-10-2007, 14:27
I pay £5.68 for 2 years for my .co.uk domains from 1and1!

gazzer
02-10-2007, 21:48
ok, here goes.........
i am with discount domains and yes i can access my account domain with no problems at all.
the problem lies with vm not willing to give out the domain names for primary and secondary dns addies guys. what they will bull**** you with is ip addies that domain accounts do not use as standard!!!!!!!
when i hosted on bluehost a year or so ago it was no problem and infact even discount themselves will supply anyone with a dns names for primary and secondary if you host with them and use someone elses domain name.
but i pay £37 per month for my web and cannot get basic information from self care on my account and waste 25p per minute from vm to talk to a muppet who is just reading from a screen sat infront of her and who by my calculations can barely use a sodding calculator lmfao..........
so am i now looking for a new isp due to several problems caused by vm? answer is yes to that one...............why might you ask.............well when i agreed to go to 20mb i found on the site my modem is unable to handle it as to old (there words not mine as per there webbie)
booked engineer twice and no shows.................pants to em i say and finally the fact i cannot even get basic info from my own ISP
ns.cableinet.net
ns2.cableinet.co.uk

thats the info i required and i have to go to a diff company to get access names to my own named servers!!!!!!! marks out of ten richard branson?? poor 3 am afraid.

Nemeth
03-10-2007, 01:31
As has already been stated you need to configure web forwarding, either direct or framed, so requests for your domain are forwarded, by your domain registrar, to your VM webspace. Adding a couple of VM nameservers to the DNS record is pointless when those nameservers don't know what to do with requests for your domain.

If web forwarding isn't good enough and you want proper DNS with your own domain name then you need a proper hosting package, not the free webspace bundled with your broadband connection. VM are no different from any other ISP in this respect.

dev
03-10-2007, 02:40
ok, here goes.........
i am with discount domains and yes i can access my account domain with no problems at all.
the problem lies with vm not willing to give out the domain names for primary and secondary dns addies guys. what they will bull**** you with is ip addies that domain accounts do not use as standard!!!!!!!
when i hosted on bluehost a year or so ago it was no problem and infact even discount themselves will supply anyone with a dns names for primary and secondary if you host with them and use someone elses domain name.
but i pay £37 per month for my web and cannot get basic information from self care on my account and waste 25p per minute from vm to talk to a muppet who is just reading from a screen sat infront of her and who by my calculations can barely use a sodding calculator lmfao..........
so am i now looking for a new isp due to several problems caused by vm? answer is yes to that one...............why might you ask.............well when i agreed to go to 20mb i found on the site my modem is unable to handle it as to old (there words not mine as per there webbie)
booked engineer twice and no shows.................pants to em i say and finally the fact i cannot even get basic info from my own ISP
ns.cableinet.net
ns2.cableinet.co.uk

thats the info i required and i have to go to a diff company to get access names to my own named servers!!!!!!! marks out of ten richard branson?? poor 3 am afraid.

couple of things, first, the problems you're having with the domain is nothing to do with VM. the web space from VM is more basic than that of any normal hosts offering.

secondly, why not do a self install of a new modem? get the modem sent in the post, swap out the old one. i don't know much about it but i'm sure someone here can tell you the procedure for doing it

thirdly, setting your domain name's name servers to VMs is going to do absolutely nothing. VMs name servers will not be setup to give dns records for your domain name and never will.

finally, as others have said (which you don't seem to want to listen to), what you want is nothing to do with name servers or dns records. you want a url redirect/forwarding/masking. look through your registrars control panel for something of that nature.

marks out of 10 for you reading posts and following advice 2/10.

Richy99
03-10-2007, 10:26
ok, here goes.........
ns.cableinet.net
ns2.cableinet.co.uk

i guess you didnt actually read any of the replies given did you?

and byebye when you go to adsl

Stuart
03-10-2007, 10:58
ok, here goes.........

This is because, like most ISPs, VM don't do a full hosting package with domain name management (they just give you a small area on a webserver) as part of their residential package. You may find they do one with their business package, but, tbh, you'd probably be better of with an external hosting service, such as the one I use, http://www.godaddy.com