PDA

View Full Version : TV and Broadband without Phone

ThePinkRat
29-09-2007, 22:36
Currently I get broadband, TV (XL) and phone. But I don't really want the phone, especially as they've just increased the call prices and I rarely use it. Can I get the phone line cancelled or do I have to go for Sky as the TV provider and just keep the BB, cancelling both Virgin TV and phone?

Pedro1
30-09-2007, 07:13
Not to sure there but i think you would be fine just getting tv and bb as its not like BT where you need the line for the bb.

Call them up and see what they say.

Hugh
30-09-2007, 11:02
2 for £25 deal (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/product.do?id=11025)

TV size L, BB size M.

Doesn't hurt to ask, especially if you say you will be leaving otherwise.

who_me
30-09-2007, 16:18
I'm wondering about this too as I'm thinking of joining virgin media. I'm going to be moving into an already cabled area, but I don't really need the phone service so would ideally like the 2 for £25 deal of TV and Broadband. I just wanted to clarify that I don't need to take out a phone service if BB is provided via cable right??

grabbi
30-09-2007, 23:59
Thats right.

The only company to offer BB WITHOUT a phoneline is Virgin Media. :)

Be sure to make sure your area is Cable enabled though. Go to the site, and there should be a post code checker.

Shaun
01-10-2007, 01:53
Thats right.

The only company to offer BB WITHOUT a phoneline is Virgin Media. :)

But generally you want a phone line (well most people do) and using an overide provider on BT is about the cheapest way possible. :)

If you truely want to save money then you need to total all the costs and speeds rather than just think that by cutting out phone line rental you'll save. :)

who_me
04-10-2007, 19:21
But generally you want a phone line (well most people do) and using an overide provider on BT is about the cheapest way possible. :)

If you truely want to save money then you need to total all the costs and speeds rather than just think that by cutting out phone line rental you'll save. :)

Well i'm renting a flat and it seems that they already have cable (though think it used to be telewest or ntl), figured it'd work out cheaper rather than getting BT line.

Shaun
04-10-2007, 19:54
Well i'm renting a flat and it seems that they already have cable (though think it used to be telewest or ntl), figured it'd work out cheaper rather than getting BT line.

Probably not - if there's been a BT line there before then you'll get free reconnection. 1899.com is the cheapest call plan I've seen but only over a BT line and Sky do a package for free BB (2Mbit for 2GB but do a better one for £5) if you take their £15 TV.

VM are extortionate if you want to use the phone but do throw in a few channels for free in their line rental.

Swings and round abouts. If you actually want to use the phone then a BT line is the way to go. If not then see what VM have - although make sure you shop around too. :)

who_me
04-10-2007, 22:51
Probably not - if there's been a BT line there before then you'll get free reconnection. 1899.com is the cheapest call plan I've seen but only over a BT line and Sky do a package for free BB (2Mbit for 2GB but do a better one for £5) if you take their £15 TV.

VM are extortionate if you want to use the phone but do throw in a few channels for free in their line rental.

Swings and round abouts. If you actually want to use the phone then a BT line is the way to go. If not then see what VM have - although make sure you shop around too. :)

Thanks for the tip, only thing with SKY is that you gotta also pay BT line rental on top of the channels and BB, also they cap their downloads if you opt for the min/mid BB services they provide.

Like I said, don't think phone will be too important as I have my mobile that people can reach me on.

Will have a hunt around though, always looking for good deals. ;)

P.S. checked post code checker and it's good, I'm in cabled area. How long does it take to get BB/virgin media package all up and running?

chickendippers
07-10-2007, 10:50
If your property is already cabled up then they'll post the STB and modem to you which should only take a couple of days. It's sent via ParcelForce so won't be affected by postal strikes and what not.

dragon
07-10-2007, 16:41
Like I said, don't think phone will be too important as I have my mobile that people can reach me on.

Could even get VOIP for phonecalls, some of the VOIP providers offer a geographical number either free or for a small monthly fee (less than a pint of beer ;))

I have a VOIP line on my desk, while not as reliable as a regular line (i.e it does sometimes go down) for the cost and the amount I use it its much cheaper than having a 2nd line installed.

Also It means I get my own number I can give out instead of the main landline number and the calls are dead cheap. (1p/min + vat to most landlines inc many international destinations)

I Tend to use my mobile a lot due to inclusive minutes but it does come handy if I'm running low on minutes or want to make an international call.

You can buy SIP ATA which lets you turn a normal phone into a Voip one for about £20 - £30 on ebay.

who_me
09-10-2007, 13:28
Could even get VOIP for phonecalls, some of the VOIP providers offer a geographical number either free or for a small monthly fee (less than a pint of beer ;))

I have a VOIP line on my desk, while not as reliable as a regular line (i.e it does sometimes go down) for the cost and the amount I use it its much cheaper than having a 2nd line installed.

Also It means I get my own number I can give out instead of the main landline number and the calls are dead cheap. (1p/min + vat to most landlines inc many international destinations)

I Tend to use my mobile a lot due to inclusive minutes but it does come handy if I'm running low on minutes or want to make an international call.

You can buy SIP ATA which lets you turn a normal phone into a Voip one for about £20 - £30 on ebay.

Dragon,

Good point, i didn't even think about VOIP! Must look into that. I'm going to have to change my tariff on my mobile anyways as it looks like I'm going over my inclusives...

Good news too, got a text and e-mail from Virgin telling me I'm all set to go. Just have to wait for the package to arrive and hopefully I'll be online. Though not until Monday :( I've not had net access for a few days now and I'm suffering from withdrawal symptoms.

dragon
09-10-2007, 18:07
I think unlocked Linksys PAP2's go fairly cheaply on ebay.

These are compatable with most SIP based providers as far as I know (i think most VOIP providers use the SIP protocol apart from Skype which uses their own proprietary protocol.

Then you Just plug a standard phone into them.

SHUTTERED ROOM
10-10-2007, 21:13
I use Voip as my main provider, i have the Linksys PAP2T adapter all working very well with voicehost.co.uk, i have 2 lines with very good call quality.
Did have Cable/BT lines, but a lot cheaper now with voip and got to keep my old BT number.

:angel:

dragon
11-10-2007, 16:15
I use Voip as my main provider, i have the Linksys PAP2T adapter all working very well with voicehost.co.uk, i have 2 lines with very good call quality.
Did have Cable/BT lines, but a lot cheaper now with voip and got to keep my old BT number.

What do you think about the Pap2

currently using a bt homehub with the sip change hack done on it but Should I ever want to upgrade to use the BTFon thing I suspect it will nuke the hack...
Given that Pap2 can be picked up cheap on ebay I was thinking about getting one.

SHUTTERED ROOM
11-10-2007, 20:43
The Linksys PAP2T is very good for voip, works like a dream.

bargepole
29-10-2007, 09:59
Currently I get broadband, TV (XL) and phone. But I don't really want the phone, especially as they've just increased the call prices and I rarely use it. Can I get the phone line cancelled or do I have to go for Sky as the TV provider and just keep the BB, cancelling both Virgin TV and phone?

I'm just getting BB 2mb and TV XL and paying £29pm now for an extra £1 I can get phone line in 3 for £30 package. So if I were you I don't think I'd give up phone line if you're only going to be saving £1. Of course they may offer you a better deal but don't think you'll be saving much by cancelling the phone.