PDA

View Full Version : Help needed to configure PC.

endee33
28-09-2007, 13:51
Hi All,
Bit of a long story but here goes, I had ntl b/band installed a few years ago, initially I got it up and running with the supplied disc no problem at all. Approx. 9 months ago I bough a laptop and wireless router, I hooked the desktop up via ethernet but had to use the Call Centre to configure the PC (disc would not work for this) laptop worked no problem. All was tickety boo (both desktop and laptop running perfectly), until a month ago when the desktop crashed, I have since had to reinstall XP on it and lost the configuration. Therefore b/band still working nicely on laptop but not on the desktop. Does anyone know how to configure the desktop manually, so that I can avoid incurring the Call Centre charges please?

Yours in hope, Neil.

fatassmichael
28-09-2007, 13:57
:welcome: to the forum Neil, Assuming you have installed your network card drivers, it should just work, have you tried powering down modem, router and pc, then swith on modem, allow to settle, switch on router, again allow to settle, and switch on pc, you should have an automatic connection to the internet

Aragorn
28-09-2007, 14:05
As above, if your plugging in an ethernet connected XP PC into a router it should just work. No NTL disks needed.
In what way doesn't it work - do you get a pop-up saying 'limited or no network connectivity'?
If you look in 'Network Connections' under Control Panel, is you 'Local Area Network' shown as connected?

smeagoly1
28-09-2007, 14:31
Hi like the previous two replies, Iv'e never needed any disks to be able to just browse.
I am using xp and even after a few fresh installs, it always automatically detects my connection. All I can suggest is that you check that your ethernet card is working and it's own drivers installed.
The only thing that needs to be configured os outlook express.

endee33
28-09-2007, 17:45
Hi like the previous two replies, Iv'e never needed any disks to be able to just browse.
I am using xp and even after a few fresh installs, it always automatically detects my connection. All I can suggest is that you check that your ethernet card is working and it's own drivers installed.
The only thing that needs to be configured os outlook express.

Thanks for the welcome all, smeagoly you are an absolute legend !!! Re-installed the drivers for the ethernet and I'm back online baybee. Here's a pint for you me old mucka:beer::):):):):)