PDA

View Full Version : Problems with new Broadband Install

cyclone
26-09-2007, 16:41
I've just tried to help my elderly neighbour set up his broadband access.
The setup CD runs and gets to the point where it tries to connect and then falls over with this error:-
"Your computer does not have an Ethernet card, NIC" and the error code 00.01.1B0030
Now this is patently untrue as the Realtek RTL8139/810x NIC shows up in the Device Manager of Vista.
I've done the following:- 1....Disconnected the modem power lead ,waited and reconnected,all the relevant leds are lit
2...Uninstalled the Ethernet card and let it be re-detected and installed
The error persists...HELP!

Mick Fisher
26-09-2007, 16:46
You don't need the CD if you are connecting via ethernet. Providing your modem is registered to the account and the NIC is active you only need to connect everything up.
Switch on the modem first , let the lights settle, then switch on the PC.

Good Luck..:)

Look here
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/94/33602415-how-set-up-your-ntl-broadband.html

cyclone
26-09-2007, 17:00
Thanks for the advice.The modem (not sure of the model but it's tiny) is brand new and unregistered. I'll try the method given in the link,I assume that it works with an unregistered modem?

Impz2002
26-09-2007, 17:22
as far as a recall there is some planned matinence on the broadband registration system at present. this may explain the reason why you are having difficulty.

anyone care to confirm this as i would check myself but im just walking out the door for work :)

Impz

MovedGoalPosts
26-09-2007, 17:31
Might be worth uninstalling and reinstalling the ethernet drivers for the network card. Check the card is actually enabled.

If USB has previously been used for an internet connection, delete any trace of that. Make sure the network connection is set fully to auto detect, including for the IP address. If there was a dial up connection get rid of that too.

Mr.X
26-09-2007, 22:11
as far as a recall there is some planned matinence on the broadband registration system at present. this may explain the reason why you are having difficulty.

anyone care to confirm this as i would check myself but im just walking out the door for work :)

Impz

Shold be fine.............................................. ...not happening till 30th

Raised : 25 Sep, 2007 17:43
Name : Alistair Hughes, Outage Surveillance Team
Ticket Number : 561380
Estimated Resolution : 06/10/2007 08:00:00
Priority : P3
Services Affected: Broadband Internet, Dial Up Internet, Telephone, Analogue TV, Digital TV

Description :
As part of our aim to improve our services to all
of our customers, we are upgrading our billing
systems.

This will mean that between 30th September 2007
and 6th October 2007 customers in ex-ntl regions
will not be able to register new Broadband
connections, upgrade packages or change any of
your products or services while they are migrated
to our improved billing systems.

We thank you for your patience during this time,
and would ask that if you intend to make any
changes to your package that you do this before
September 30th.

This work does not affect any of our customers in
ex-Telewest regions.

cyclone
26-09-2007, 23:40
Using the "Install without a cd" method I've managed to register the modem and receive an email address and password,so far so good.
However when I try to connect to the internet I'm unable to do so,even after using the various methods supplied by the Vista help system,ie detect and repair connection etc.

There is still a problem connecting to the internet ,any suggestions?

Mr.X
26-09-2007, 23:49
Sure your not working offline. Open internet explorer.....select file (top left) and make sure there are no ticks next to work offline

cyclone
27-09-2007, 00:16
I use XP Pro myself so I'm not familiar with the Vista setup system.I think I remember reading somewhere about altering the settings in the "Local Area Connection" ie. the settings which include "Client for Microsoft Networks".
If I remember correctly the default settings create a problem with some ISPs, the TCP/IPv4 and TCP/IPv6 settings in particular.
Any info. would be useful.

Mr.X
27-09-2007, 00:28
Go to the control panel select network and sharing center on left select manage network connections. Right click on your connection and select properties remove the tick next TCPipv6 double click on TCPipv4 and make sure obtain an IP address automatically is enabled.

cyclone
27-09-2007, 13:56
Thanks again,I did all that..still no joy.I then selected "diagnose and repair" which on completion reported that the problem was resolved.
This indeed looked the case .there was no longer a red cross between the graphic elements in network setup. However...when I attemted to connect this promptly reappeared and the problem resumed.
I finally suggested that there may be a problem with his Vrgin connection and left him trying to contact Tech Support.
I hate having to give in.
Thanks everyone for their help.

cyclone
27-09-2007, 16:37
Just by way of an update.
After speaking to a telephone support person the problem has ben resolved. It appears that the modem was not properly registered.He talked me through the setup and now we are ONLINE...Whoopee!

Mick Fisher
27-09-2007, 19:02
Glad to hear that..:)

Well done!!

wonkey-donkey
28-09-2007, 22:07
wtg cyclone, do you care to share how you registered the modem?
as my friend is having the exact same problem, ie new modem and new comp with vista, old system connected to stb worked fine but that was over a year ago