PDA

View Full Version : changing cable modem from usb to ethernet - help !

Farenath
23-09-2007, 15:51
Hello !

I'm really hoping that someone can help me !

I'm connected to the internet with Virgin Media and have a Motorola Surfboard SB5100 Cable Modem. I've never had an ethernet connection for it, the wires were never there so I've always used USB connection without any problems.

I now need to move the PC and decided to go wireless so bought a Netgear router, only to find I needed an ethernet cable. This is where the problem starts !

I changed the wires over and discovered (like so many others) that you cant just change from USB to ethernet. Not one to admit defeat normally I searched on the net and came accross this site... followed the instructions on this post

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/39258-please-help-cable-modem-usb-ethernet.html

But I have no flashing orange light to indicate pc activity when just using the ethernet cable. I've rebooted pc and modem with and without wires attached and now am at the end of my tether !

Can some kind soul explain to me - like I'm a 3 year old - exactly what I need to do and in what order - I really need to get my pc moved as its in what will be my baby's nursery and I cant get it decorated until its moved !

Thanx in advance !

L

Sebazy
23-09-2007, 16:00
Make sure the USB cable is completely removed from the cablemodem, some of them seem to sense that a USB cable is attached and promptly ignore the RJ45 socket.

Remove the USB cable completely (Not only from your PC, but from the modem as well), remove power from the cable modem for a minute, power it back up and bingo, you should be ok.

If that doesn't work, try a different cable, might be that your using a crossover?

Farenath
23-09-2007, 16:12
Hello ! and thanx for such a fast reply !

I just tried completely removing the USB cable and rebooting both the modem and PC, got a little flicker of light for PC activity when the pc started coming back to life but that was all, only way i get internet back is to plug the USB back in, I just think this blooming machine doesnt like me and has a deathwish cos I really want to throw it out the window !

I know its probably something really really simple - i just cant see it !

L

Pedro1
23-09-2007, 16:15
To use an Ethernet connection you need to have a network card installed in your pc.

The sb5100 can use both USB and Ethernet connections.

You CAN just change from USB to Ethernet so long as you have a network card (ethernet port) on u r pc.

Take the cat5, rj45, ethernet cable from the modem to the router and then from the router to the pc, again remembering to have a network card installed on the comp. You should have a connection.

The router has it's own local ip so access it and configure the settings, should be something like 192.168.???.???.

Delta Whiskey
23-09-2007, 16:16
If you've not used the ethernet connection on the PC before the drivers might not be installed or corrupted, run the motherboard driver disk and install/reinstall them.

JediMaster
23-09-2007, 16:22
Hello !

I now need to move the PC and decided to go wireless so bought a Netgear router, only to find I needed an ethernet cable. This is where the problem starts !

Your old setup was Cable Modem -> USB -> PC

Now you say Wireless...
So Cable Modem -> Network Cable (Cat 5) -> Netgear Router -> WIRELESS Signal to PC (Your PC needs a Wireless Reciever) to talk to the Router. Do you have that?

Farenath
23-09-2007, 16:25
thanx...i think !

pedro 1 and delta whiskey I really dont have a clue about any of that it reads like japanese to me !

jedi master - i have a usb adaptor to enable my pc to get the wireless signal - but the netgear router wont work for me until i get my modem working with an ethernet connection. thats the thing i'm having problems with.

sorry if i sound dumb but i really do need this explaining to me very simply !

L

Pedro1
23-09-2007, 16:28
Right first of all wee need to determine if he has an on board LAN port or a separately installed LAN card. By the look of it he aint got any.

Farenath tell us if you can use ethernet.

Farenath
23-09-2007, 16:33
I've never had to use ethernet, modem always worked on USB, how do i check if I have LAN ?

PS - am a she ! lol

Delta Whiskey
23-09-2007, 16:33
How do you know that you have a ethernet connection available on your PC, what make/model is the computer/motherboard. The more detail you can give us the easier it will be to help you.

Farenath
23-09-2007, 16:34
Its a Dell Dimension 5150 - around 2 years old.

I assumed that the little hole the ethernet cable fits in on the back means I have ethernet - its the only hole it would fit it !

and yes - I am blonde if it helps ! lol

Pedro1
23-09-2007, 16:40
Farenath does u r cable look like this one and is the port on your pc the same kind?

Delta Whiskey
23-09-2007, 16:43
I'm having a look on the Dell site to see if I can find the data for this model, back soon (hopefully). I'm bald does that help. :D

If it's this one then it does have ethernet - http://tinyurl.com/2ov42v
Docs here - http://tinyurl.com/hso6h

Farenath
23-09-2007, 16:43
The new cable I bought was like that yes, and there is a hole on the back of the pc that it fits nicely into.

Someone on another thread said that there's lit up when they plugged it in - dunno if it means anything or not but mine doesnt !

L

Dean B
23-09-2007, 16:51
Are you sure you have a Network (NIC) Card installed in your PC? Check your Network Adapters in your Hardware listing, (Control Panel -> System -> Hardware tab).

Farenath
23-09-2007, 16:55
Ok under Network adaptors it says I have

1394 Net Adaptor
Intel(R) Pro/100 VE Network Connection
Motorola Surfboard SB5100 USB Cable Modem

Does that help you more than me ?

L

Edited to say that the middle one has a red cross through the symbol on the left of it

Delta Whiskey
23-09-2007, 16:58
The new cable I bought was like that yes, and there is a hole on the back of the pc that it fits nicely into.

Someone on another thread said that there's lit up when they plugged it in - dunno if it means anything or not but mine doesnt !

L

The user manual says there are green/orange/yellow LEDs on or near the ethernet connector, green or orange is fine, flashing yellow is activity and no light means no physical connection.

---------- Post added at 16:58 ---------- Previous post was at 16:56 ----------

Ok under Network adaptors it says I have

1394 Net Adaptor
Intel(R) Pro/100 VE Network Connection
Motorola Surfboard SB5100 USB Cable Modem

Does that help you more than me ?

L

Edited to say that the middle one has a red cross through the symbol on the left of it

Red X sounds like a driver problem as I suggested earlier, do you have the install CD/DVD for this computer.

Farenath
23-09-2007, 16:59
I'm getting far too familiar with the back of my pc !

There is definitly no light on the ethernet cable on the back of the pc, its plugged into a hole that has a symbol kind of like this

__o__
o o

near it - is that the right place ?

L

Pedro1
23-09-2007, 16:59
Try in the control panel and install new hardware. It should detect and install the on board LAN. the problem lies with either the on board or external card not being installed properly by either the drivers or NIC itself.

Farenath
23-09-2007, 17:00
Possibly have it somewhere... will have to look for it !

L

Delta Whiskey
23-09-2007, 17:11
Possibly have it somewhere... will have to look for it !

L

This looks like it might be the correct driver - http://tinyurl.com/35nlvb. If you can't find the install disk it might be worth downloading and running this - http://ftp.us.dell.com/network/R105478.EXE

Farenath
23-09-2007, 17:12
OK we now have some progress to report !

When I went to add new hardware it has enabled that middle one that had the red cross through it.

When I removed the USB from the PC and Modem I had a flashing orange light for PC activity. I rebooted the PC and still had that light, and on the back of the PC by the ethernet cable I have 2 lights - a steady red light and a flashing orange light.

On the tool bar on the PC I have what looks like 2 PC's with a tellow exclamation mark, when I hover over it it reads 'Local Area Connection. Speed 100.0 Mbps Status Limited or No connectivity.

If I just have the modem connected with ethernet I still have no internet access though.

Any more ideas - looks like we're heading in the right direction !

L

Dean B
23-09-2007, 17:22
When you plug the ethernet lead in the yellow exc mark should disappear.

-Dean

Delta Whiskey
23-09-2007, 17:25
It looks like the hardware is working, do you have a software firewall (like ZoneAlarm) on you computer which might be blocking the connection.

Farenath
23-09-2007, 17:30
OMG I think I'm in love !

You guys are brilliant - I have the internet with no USB plugged in at all!

Now all I have to do is get the router and wireless working !

I may be back !

Thank you all sooooooooooooooooo much - you are the best !

L

Delta Whiskey
23-09-2007, 17:41
Glad you've got it sorted. :D Have a look at the 'sticky' threads here for help with the router and wireless - http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/87/

Farenath
23-09-2007, 18:02
Oh yes !

I Have the power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously - Thank you all so much for all your help ! We got there in the end - I am now working wirelessly !

Now all I need to do is get my dear husband to help me carry the darn thing downstairs and set it all up and keep my fingers crossed it works down there too !

Once again - thank you - you have saved a heavily pregnant woman from severe emotional distress - and a PC from ending up as a heap of broken junk just outside the window - and a baby from having to sleep in the dining room cos there is no room in the nursery !

HEHEHE

Thank you Thank you Thank you

L

Pedro1
23-09-2007, 18:04
Glad you are sorted. Keep this site in mind as you are now going down the router route.

http://portforward.com/

It's a handy ref.

JediMaster
24-09-2007, 10:21
Oh yes !

I Have the power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously - Thank you all so much for all your help ! We got there in the end - I am now working wirelessly !

Now all I need to do is get my dear husband to help me carry the darn thing downstairs and set it all up and keep my fingers crossed it works down there too !

Once again - thank you - you have saved a heavily pregnant woman from severe emotional distress - and a PC from ending up as a heap of broken junk just outside the window - and a baby from having to sleep in the dining room cos there is no room in the nursery !

HEHEHE

Thank you Thank you Thank you

L

Glad your all Set Up :)

Just remember to set Security on the Wireless connection (as other people in your street could use your Internet for FREE)