PDA

View Full Version : How honest are you?

superbiatch
21-09-2007, 16:28
I claimed my cashback for my mobile phone deal as per usual every 6 months. Today i received two cheques each for £50, double what i should get https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/09/2.gif

Do i bank them both, or do i own up and return one of the cheques? https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/09/3.gif

What would you do?

danielf
21-09-2007, 16:29
Bank both. Next! :D

zing_deleted
21-09-2007, 16:30
yeah as above stuff em

Rapid Dr3am
21-09-2007, 17:11
Sign the back of the second cheque and post it to me please. :)

monkey2468
21-09-2007, 17:11
Bank both and plead ignorance if questioned later.;)

Raistlin
21-09-2007, 17:12
Bank both. Move on. Refund if asked.

superbiatch
21-09-2007, 17:16
Wow you dishonest lot you! ;)

I can't say i couldn't do with the extra cash atm, so i think i'll bank one now and save the other for a little later :)

bopdude
21-09-2007, 17:19

I can't say i couldn't do with the extra cash atm, so i think i'll bank one now and save the other for a little later :)

As above, bank both and wait, they'll ask for it, if they need it ;)

Wicked_and_Crazy
21-09-2007, 17:37

Bank both but leave the cash for the second one untouched for 6 months. IF you dont bank the second cheque its goes stale after 6 months and is no longer valid

v0id
21-09-2007, 18:03
Bank the second one in a high interest savings account :D

xpod
21-09-2007, 19:20
Opening post at 16.48 ......you surely missed the banks for the weekend....tch:)

superbiatch
21-09-2007, 20:20
Opening post at 16.48 ......you surely missed the banks for the weekend....tch:)

Mine is open at the weekend, and i only just picked up my post anyway ;)

xpod
21-09-2007, 20:36
Mine is open at the weekend, and i only just picked up my post anyway

oh well,double deposit on a Saturday morning it is then:)

gaffer_gump
21-09-2007, 20:46
I would send one back..

Not because I am honest, far from it lol, but they always always always ask for the money back when you are on the bones of your ass and can't pay it back..

superbiatch
21-09-2007, 20:51
I would send one back..

Not because I am honest, far from it lol, but they always always always ask for the money back when you are on the bones of your ass and can't pay it back..

I've thought about this, and i'm due another £50 in 6 months time (the last one). So i'm kinda thinking if they want it back, i'll just tell them to withold the last cheque.

Delta Whiskey
21-09-2007, 21:09
I guess I'm two faced, if it was a small local company then I'd give it back, but if it was a big national company I'd bank it and let them find out the error themselves.

Paul
21-09-2007, 21:17
When I was made redundant by BT (in 1992) they sent me my redundancy money by cheque (quite a few thousands as I recall). The next day, another (duplicate) cheque arrived.

I banked the second one in a building society high interest account.

They finally realised their mistake four months later and asked for it back. I posted them a cheque and kept the interest.

bopdude
23-09-2007, 14:56
When I was made redundant by BT (in 1992) they sent me my redundancy money by cheque (quite a few thousands as I recall). The next day, another (duplicate) cheque arrived.

I banked the second one in a building society high interest account.

They finally realised their mistake four months later and asked for it back. I posted them a cheque and kept the interest.

Nice of them, shame they realised though :D still, you made a few £££££'s so that's ok :D

Pedro1
23-09-2007, 15:43
Bank the lot. They aint scared to charge you for anything so stuff them.
I have two accounts with o2. 1x25 and 1X35 a month, good service but screw them, they make too much money as it is.

Jules
23-09-2007, 16:49
I have to say I think I would bank them both but not spend one lot of it for a while

Maggy
23-09-2007, 17:30
I send it back and feel virtuous.If I kept it I wouldn't be able to pay it back next week, the way my finances are at the moment.:)

piggy
23-09-2007, 18:38
I guess I'm two faced, if it was a small local company then I'd give it back, but if it was a big national company I'd bank it and let them find out the error themselves.

thats what id do

tweetypie/8
28-09-2007, 10:27
I claimed my cashback for my mobile phone deal as per usual every 6 months. Today i received two cheques each for £50, double what i should get https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/09/2.gif

Do i bank them both, or do i own up and return one of the cheques? https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/09/3.gif

What would you do?

you show good sense asking for advice on the issue,many another one would blow it and maybe live to regret it.before it expires i would lodge it in an easy access account for a reasonable time and should they come calling for their money go lift it out and no harm done good luck. :tu:

Matth
28-09-2007, 21:07
I guess, accept that they might want it back, buy leave it to them to find it ... how much would they help YOU if you'd made a mistake in your cashback.

Actually, if it's a good deal and has a long time to run, maybe better to own up, as if they do twig, they may say you broke the terms ... no more cashback.

superbiatch
28-09-2007, 23:05
you show good sense asking for advice on the issue,many another one would blow it and maybe live to regret it.before it expires i would lodge it in an easy access account for a reasonable time and should they come calling for their money go lift it out and no harm done good luck. :tu:

Thanks, that seems like the best idea i think, i still have the two cheques sitting there when normally i would have banked my cashback straight away :rolleyes:

I guess, accept that they might want it back, buy leave it to them to find it ... how much would they help YOU if you'd made a mistake in your cashback.

Actually, if it's a good deal and has a long time to run, maybe better to own up, as if they do twig, they may say you broke the terms ... no more cashback.

I have thought of that in advance and my deal means i'm only entitled to one more cheque of £50. So i thought about doing the above (cashing it but leaving somewhere safe) and if there are any problems when i come to claiming again in 6 months i'll just call it quits :cool:

SMHarman
29-09-2007, 01:50
I guess I'm two faced, if it was a small local company then I'd give it back, but if it was a big national company I'd bank it and let them find out the error themselves.I'm with you on this, their computers, finance systems and everything are expecting both these cheques to be deposited, SB you would just be causing a big headache to send it back.

Halcyon
29-09-2007, 10:09
I wonder if there is some legal time limit they have to clain it back.
How long would you have to leave it sitting there in an acount fearing they will ask for it back before they can't do it anymore.
Or maybe there is no limit ?

PS1
29-09-2007, 14:07
slightly off topic but,check out this email i recieved recently.

by the way, you can send ME both cheques and ill bank them for you if you want"honestly":D

Chris W
29-09-2007, 19:12
slightly off topic but,check out this email i recieved recently.

by the way, you can send ME both cheques and ill bank them for you if you want"honestly":D

except they would just send the cheque back stating it was for the incorrect amount :shrug:

PS1
30-09-2007, 19:29
well, id definately give it a try.Nothing to loose is there

superbiatch
30-09-2007, 20:34
I wonder if there is some legal time limit they have to clain it back.
How long would you have to leave it sitting there in an acount fearing they will ask for it back before they can't do it anymore.
Or maybe there is no limit ?

Not sure about time limit for them to contact me about them is, but all cheques are only valid from date of issue for 6 months IIRC :dozey:

SMHarman
01-10-2007, 01:09
Not sure about time limit for them to contact me about them is, but all cheques are only valid from date of issue for 6 months IIRC :dozey:
Not true, banks just don't like accepting them after that time as the account they are drawn on may have been closed etc.
A cheque technically never goes stale and is never 'cleared' the paying bank can always ask for the cheque back (decline payment).

Arthurgray50@blu
03-10-2007, 22:43
The only snag there is, if they find out that they have paid you twice, they will take it back off you,.:)

superbiatch
03-10-2007, 22:48
The only snag there is, if they find out that they have paid you twice, they will take it back off you,.:)

I've only got one more cashback to claim after this, so they can keep it ;)

I'm gonna cash them both and put it towards a wii :D

HD462
22-11-2007, 20:45
Try reversing it the other way and see what you think. If you forgot to claim your cashback, do you think they'd contact you to remind you, and offer you the money you were due, or would they just keep it?

It would be the latter I think. So I'd do as you say, bank it, and see if they ask for it back later. ;)

superbiatch
23-11-2007, 01:56
Try reversing it the other way and see what you think. If you forgot to claim your cashback, do you think they'd contact you to remind you, and offer you the money you were due, or would they just keep it?

It would be the latter I think. So I'd do as you say, bank it, and see if they ask for it back later. ;)

Well i did do, but time will tell if they cotton on ;)

mrmistoffelees
23-11-2007, 11:22
If i'm honest enough to admit I would be dishonest and bank both does that make me honest or dishonest ?

honest answer - bank = dishonesty
honest answer - return = honesty
dishonest answer - return = dishonesty
dishonest answer - bank = honesty but never going to happen.........

So then, this honesty malarky, whats it all about then ?????

superbiatch
23-11-2007, 11:25
Looks like i got my comeuppence when no wages went in my bank account today :erm:

fatmat8
24-11-2007, 10:04
honesty is the worst policy