PDA

View Full Version : "unsupported language" and impossible to connect

fabi
20-09-2007, 23:05
Hi,

I have a little problem: since Virgin broadband has been installed at my place, I have never been able to connect with the ethernet cable...
It doesn't work by creating a new connection profile, nor by using the set up CD : I have an "unsupported language" error.

I have found the following article
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/94/33602415-how-set-up-your-ntl-broadband.html

and tried to do what was written, but I am stuck after the ipconfig/renew step.
I am told it was "impossible to contact the DHC servor. Waiting time for an answer is over" (sorry for the bad translation, my computer speaks in French ;-) ).

Could you help me?
Many many thanks!!!!!!!!
Fabi

PS: My postcode is NW1 0HR. I am using windows XP, and the modem is aScientific atlanta.

maverick
20-09-2007, 23:24
The modem will already be active,reboot the cable modem,check the online light is solid and then try to browse.
If this fails check your ip address to check follow this from the article you posted

When the computer has booted into Windows:
Click on Start, Run.
In the box type cmd and press enter.
In the black box type ipconfig /all
You will see a screen of information and all the adaptors in the system. Look for the Ethernet adaptor on the list. You should see under the entry "ip address" a number. This is your ip address.

oh and welcome to the forum.

Mr.X
20-09-2007, 23:59
The Cable light on your modem should be solid and the PC activity light should be flashing. Can you confirm this?

You wont have an online light as you have a Scientific Atlanta modem.

fabi
21-09-2007, 09:19
Thank you all for your reply!

The cable light is indeed solid and the other one flashing.

Last time I tried the ipconfig/all procedure, the IP address was starting with 169.
I then wrote ipconfig/release and then ipconfig/renew but got the message I quoted in my first message (something about the DHC host)

Thank you for the welcome!

Paul K
21-09-2007, 09:41
Setup CD is not designed for a PC running a French operating system I expect.

Graham M
21-09-2007, 09:57
Setup CD is not designed for a PC running a French operating system I expect.

Correct. They're only compatible with English versions of Windows XP. You shouldn't need it, try restarting everything and then visiting http://autoreg.autoregister.net and follow the instructions, you will be asked for your PID and Password.

fabi
21-09-2007, 15:40
Ok, I'll do!

But luckly as I am, can I ask if there would be something to change in my pc configuration to change this?

And... what do they have against French computers ;-) ?

thanks!

Graham M
21-09-2007, 15:43
1. You would have to reinstall Windows in an English flavour
2. They don't have Virgin Media in France :)
3. I would steer clear of the VM software anyway if I were you, it's pointless bloat!

fabi
21-09-2007, 21:42
I tried the autoregister thing...
But -there is a but- after clicking on "Broadband", I am told "your browser has issued a request that the registration server has denied"...
I think I am cursed :-/

Mr.X
24-09-2007, 00:33
Sounds like a problem whith Your PC .Try stopping and then restaring DHCP service.To get there right click on my computer and select manage then go into services and applications and finally services and look for DHCP client.It is always worthwhile removing your NIC drivers and rebooting your PC . Windows will reinstall the drivers once it restarts.If you Ex Telewest you dont need the install CD when connecting via network card.Try this go to run and type the following.....netsh ip reset all......press ok and reboot. Hope this helps.

popper
24-09-2007, 03:14
Hi,

I have a little problem: since Virgin broadband has been installed at my place, I have never been able to connect with the ethernet cable...
It doesn't work by creating a new connection profile, nor by using the set up CD : I have an "unsupported language" error.

I have found the following article
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/94/33602415-how-set-up-your-ntl-broadband.html

and tried to do what was written, but I am stuck after the ipconfig/renew step.
I am told it was "impossible to contact the DHC servor. Waiting time for an answer is over" (sorry for the bad translation, my computer speaks in French ;-) ).

Could you help me?
Many many thanks!!!!!!!!
Fabi

PS: My postcode is NW1 0HR. I am using windows XP, and the modem is aScientific atlanta.

it looks like people are over complicating things.

i get the impression you have your VM BB working fine right now with the USB cable pluged into the modem and the other end pluged into one of your USB ports on the pc ,yes?.

if so, the modem is already registered, and nothing more needs doing on that side and you dont need anything more from the VM cd.

im also going to assume you have an onboard ethernet or a PCI card in your machine so that when you goto control panel/network connections you can see both the USB connection and the internal ethernet connection,yes?.

you cant have both the usb cable and the ethernet cable connected at the same time to the modem, so first thing to check is you have unpluged the (blue?)USB cable from both ends and only have the straight through rj45 ethernet cable conected to both the modem and the pcs rj45 connector,yes?.

go into 'network connections' an right click the ethernet connection/propertys and scroll down to the 'internet protocol'
double click it and make sure that both 'obtain an IP adress automatically' and 'obtain a DNS address automatically' are clicked.

if the old usb connection is still there, and active, temp disable it just to be sure, you can always re-enable it if you need to go back to usb later, but it makes things easyer if you only have one connection active while your trying to get the PC to use that connection.

power down the pc and modem, power up the modem after 30 seconds+ wait until stable then power up the pc, at this point 4 lights should be now on the modem, and the pc now having only one ethernet connection should try and ask the modem for its new IP adress and you can then try browsing.

if the IP is still in the 169.* range then windows hasnt asked for, or been given a true IP as 169* is a generic windows ip that messes up more installs than it cures.

rememeber only one cable (usb OR rj45)can be connected to the modem at a time or it wont work right.