PDA

View Full Version : VM Business level Cable...

Muppetz
17-09-2007, 13:27
I read in someones post on here that there is a business BB connection (10MB ?) from virgin.

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the business connection and a normal residential one ?

(I have gleaned so far that business is £40.00 per month, and residential £37 per month, and that there appears to be no reduction in speeds or usage limits on the business service)

TraxData
17-09-2007, 14:11
I read in someones post on here that there is a business BB connection (10MB ?) from virgin.

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the business connection and a normal residential one ?

(I have gleaned so far that business is £40.00 per month, and residential £37 per month, and that there appears to be no reduction in speeds or usage limits on the business service)

Higher priority bandwith (no sites load slow, including youtube)
No STM what so ever (enjoy leeching all those linux iso's ;) )
It's currently 10mbit down &768k up (business package had 768k up long before normal users did)
There is a new 20mbit config ready to be rolled out onto headend soon as well.

From what i can tell its 20mbit down 1.5mbit up (according to the config and asking staff :p:)

Hope that clears it up for you

Muppetz
17-09-2007, 14:18
OOOOO ! Sounds great, might solve some of my xbox live hosting/gaming problems

Where did you find the information as I would love to get confirmation of the "higher priority bandwidth" ?

Chris
17-09-2007, 14:24
It still has an AUP. ;)

http://www.ntltelewestbusiness.co.uk/products__solutions/broadband__internet_services/business_broadband/features__benefits.aspx

TraxData
17-09-2007, 15:00
It still has an AUP. ;)

http://www.ntltelewestbusiness.co.uk/products__solutions/broadband__internet_services/business_broadband/features__benefits.aspx

Yea...but it's like with the old NTL days, they never, ever apply it ;)

did 2tb last month with no problems :D

Muppetz
17-09-2007, 15:13
Were you able to confirm the higher priority ?

My main reason for changing over would be an attempt to make VMBB usable for my xbox live...

Chris
17-09-2007, 15:32
I couldn't see that level of detail on the page I viewed. I think you would have to phone sales and ask some detailed questions (I say 'detailed', as it ought to help you separate what the service actually does from any BS they may claim).

I have to say, paying just £3 a month extra for such an enhancement to the service appears too good to be true, and in my experience if it appears too good to be true, it usually is.

Muppetz
17-09-2007, 15:52
surely you would be on the same UBR still with the business service ?

chickendippers
17-09-2007, 16:39
You might be on a dedicated card for business users though.

Muppetz
17-09-2007, 16:41
You might be on a dedicated card for business users though.

Anyone from VM on the forum able to confirm or deny that ?

TraxData
17-09-2007, 17:09
I couldn't see that level of detail on the page I viewed. I think you would have to phone sales and ask some detailed questions (I say 'detailed', as it ought to help you separate what the service actually does from any BS they may claim).

I have to say, paying just £3 a month extra for such an enhancement to the service appears too good to be true, and in my experience if it appears too good to be true, it usually is.

Ask a few other people on the business package, it's true.

And i asked VM if my bandwith usage was ok, happily said yes, they only stop you if u hit 3-5tb/month it becomes obvious your using it for illegal purposes :p:

As long as your not affecting other users they dont care how much b/w u use.

Anyway they dont broadcast prices on their site, you have to ring and ask!

sprattgraham
17-09-2007, 18:56
Don't they have a 6 Hours to fix a fault or something like that?

swoop101
17-09-2007, 21:07
If the up on 20 is 1.5 then a few extra quid is a bargain, will be on it pronto.

Graham M
17-09-2007, 21:12
Just a thought but if you have Telephone as well, will they not insist you go onto the phone business package and then only if you're in a business premises?

cybernetic_tiger
17-09-2007, 21:15
There is a 12:1 contention ratio on a business connection and I believe that it is £40 as a bundle deal for a phone line (with a 4 hr fault fix) and a 10Mb/750k Cable Modem (with a 40 hr fix). You would need to check with sales for accurate pricing.

Also has a uk based support structure for if things go wrong...

Muppetz
18-09-2007, 09:31
I'm answering my own post here, but I just got off the phone with them... :

£40 + VAT per month (so 47 if you aren't vat registered), £49 +Vat connection (£99 if you dont have cable already) minimum 2 year contract, 20:1 contention ratio, 0800 support number with 6 hour callback SLA, 60MB webspace, up to 5 static IP's for a fixed price of £10.00, no usage limits (within AUP), upgrade options to 20MB by the end of the year apparently..

oh and it comes with a phone line included in the cost, whether you want it or not lol.

cybernetic_tiger
18-09-2007, 09:59
£40 + VAT per month (so 47 if you aren't vat registered), £49 +Vat connection (£99 if you dont have cable already) minimum 2 year contract, 20:1 contention ratio, 0800 support number with 6 hour callback SLA, 60MB webspace, up to 5 static IP's for a fixed price of £10.00, no usage limits (within AUP), upgrade options to 20MB by the end of the year apparently..

Your ex-ntl then I take it?

Figures I quoted above are ex-Telewest

Muppetz
18-09-2007, 10:08
Your ex-ntl then I take it?

Figures I quoted above are ex-Telewest

yes, I'm ext NTL area - seems odd though, - ex telewest is 40 inc vat and ex ntl 40 +vat ?

or is it just the contention ratio that is different ?

cybernetic_tiger
18-09-2007, 10:27
Just the contention ratio and the SLA on the callback and fix.

TraxData
18-09-2007, 15:16
I'm answering my own post here, but I just got off the phone with them... :

oh and it comes with a phone line included in the cost, whether you want it or not lol.

I didnt have to pay any VAT? shows as £40/month on my bill lol.
Minimum 12 month contract here ;)
Rest is pretty much right tho :)
I have found out i was right about the 20mbit config being rolled out soon, 20mbit/1.5mbit up :)

Muppetz
18-09-2007, 15:29
I didnt have to pay any VAT? shows as £40/month on my bill lol.
Minimum 12 month contract here ;)
Rest is pretty much right tho :)
I have found out i was right about the 20mbit config being rolled out soon, 20mbit/1.5mbit up :)

I wish I could get onto your deal then !

I just rang them again ( on the 0800 number on the webpage http://www.ntltelewestbusiness.co.uk/products__solutions/broadband__internet_services/business_broadband/features__benefits.aspx )
and they are insistant that there is a 2 year minimum contract and that the cost is £40 + VAT !

PC_Arcade
18-09-2007, 15:52
I wonder how many people are leaving VM for NTL? - Who'd have though that would ever happen ! LOL

Chris
18-09-2007, 15:56
Who'd have thought it possible? (It isn't) ;)

PC_Arcade
18-09-2007, 15:59
Who'd have thought it possible? (It isn't) ;)

Err, what?

What's not possible?

I've just signed to NTLTelewest Business Broadband and will cancel VM as soon as I get my install date.

Chris
18-09-2007, 16:00
It's not possible, because NTLTelewest Business and Virgin Media are simply different brand names employed by the same company.

Virgin Media is NTL:Telewest. It's just NTL:Telewest with a shiny new sign over the door.

Muppetz
18-09-2007, 16:02
Err, what?

What's not possible?

I've just signed to NTLTelewest Business Broadband and will cancel VM as soon as I get my install date.

I think the inferance is that NTLTelewest Business Broadband is owned by VM...

---------- Post added at 16:02 ---------- Previous post was at 16:01 ----------

May I ask what terms they offered you ?

PC_Arcade
18-09-2007, 16:02
I'm aware of that, BUT they are marketed as 2 different companies and they have different usage policies and only Virgin use STM.

May I ask what terms they offered you ?

£40 PCM 12 month contract (TBC)

Muppetz
18-09-2007, 16:03
Also, are there any VM / NTL Business guys on here who could confirm or deny that business traffic has priority/is routed differently/or is on different cards/UBRs than residential please ?

Chris
18-09-2007, 16:07
Marketing only exists to make you think about the company the way they want you to think about it - which is precisely what you are doing.

As for different usage policies and STM, well plenty of ISPs differ their usage policies and restrictions based on the package you sign up for, so no difference there either.

I appreciate the irony you were pointing out, but all it is, is an amusing irony created by the ISP's choice of which brand name and logo to attach to its various services.

sprattgraham
18-09-2007, 16:28
Can't get it here until they more Cambridge area over to ICOMS

lightboy
19-09-2007, 21:46
this looks more interesting .. but no mention of any prices .. you have to ring up and ask .. anyone up for a laugh ?

http://www.ntltelewestbusiness.co.uk/products__solutions/broadband__internet_services/managed_internet_access.aspx

Muppetz
19-09-2007, 21:54
Still looking for some confirmation that traffic is routed differently over the business service to the residential service if any of the VM employees on here can answer that question ?

johhn
20-09-2007, 00:20
called NTL:Telewest Business Broadband today,10 mb BB was just introduced so will not be upgraded to 20bm any time soon. 10mb + phone line = 40/M, but installation for new cable/modem required even we had the residential VM BB/phone line for many years. installation fee is bloody 99 quid close to a new bt line which is 124.99..........
residential BB share ratio is 50:1,business BB share ratio is 7:1....at least the NTLTelewest Business people know about these stuff, also called VM yesterday, talked to at least 6 people,most of them dont even know about STM at all.....

TraxData
20-09-2007, 00:31
called NTL:Telewest Business Broadband today,10 mb BB was just introduced so will not be upgraded to 20bm any time soon. 10mb + phone line = 40/M, but installation for new cable/modem required even we had the residential VM BB/phone line for many years. installation fee is bloody 99 quid close to a new bt line which is 124.99..........
residential BB share ratio is 50:1,business BB share ratio is 7:1....at least the NTLTelewest Business people know about these stuff, also called VM yesterday, talked to at least 6 people,most of them dont even know about STM at all.....

You got supplied wrong info buddy, the 20mbit config for BB is already on the servers ready to be rolled out at the headend (with upload of 1.5mbit)

Contention ratie is not 50:1 either, that's public/basic BB contention ratio.

Dont have to get the phone line either, it depends who you talk to.

Didnt need a new modem here (250), just sent new config down, reboot, done.

No fee's at all

Muppetz
20-09-2007, 07:12
You got supplied wrong info buddy, the 20mbit config for BB is already on the servers ready to be rolled out at the headend (with upload of 1.5mbit)

Contention ratie is not 50:1 either, that's public/basic BB contention ratio.

Dont have to get the phone line either, it depends who you talk to.

No fee's at all

Can you pm me the name of who you spoke to please trax, seems you got better service than we did !

johhn
20-09-2007, 07:51
Can you pm me the name of who you spoke to please trax, seems you got better service than we did !

same here, I'd like to have the name too,do you even have an alternative number instead of 0800 953 0180????

No fee's at all
so how much just for the broadband then?
I have modem SB5101E, as for the new config, what kind of file was it?

PowerUser
20-09-2007, 16:42
This has to be there biggest SCAM yet!.

There Answer for me was this!.

£47 Installation fee, because an engineer has to come out within 16 days to change my NTL 250 modem which apparently is not useable on the Business Package!.
£40 PLUS VAT any other amount is purely a mistake by someone!.

And I have to have a phone line which I won't ever use!...

This is a terrible deal!...

Chris
20-09-2007, 16:45

£47 Installation fee, because an engineer has to come out within 16 days to change my NTL 250 modem which apparently is not useable on the Business Package!.

Are you a business user?

Muppetz
20-09-2007, 16:53

I'm not sure why you think it is a scam ?

£40 + vat seems very competetive to me for business broadband - after all you probably claim the vat back anyway ( I know I do ) .

That said, I am still puzzeled by Traxdata's apparent experience and am awaiting more information from him, as well as looking for some confirmation from VM people on here that the business traffic is actually routed/treated differently.

Ekin
20-09-2007, 17:26
I asked if it was posisble to set reverseDNS on the static IP provided but they said it wasn't possible - if that was possible I'd deffinately go for it

PowerUser
20-09-2007, 17:34
I'm not sure why you think it is a scam ?.

Ok Firstly please tell me why My modem needs replacing, When the other poster on here said that he got the business package but kept his 250 modem?.

Why does the Enginneer need to do this, when clearly the poster said that all they did was send a new config file to his modem?.

Sirius
20-09-2007, 17:54
Ok Firstly please tell me why My modem needs replacing, When the other poster on here said that he got the business package but kept his 250 modem?.

Why does the Enginneer need to do this, when clearly the poster said that all they did was send a new config file to his modem?.

From what i heard from a friend at NTL business you need a 2020 or a 2050 modem because it has NAT capability. It looks like a 200 or a 250 for the 2050 but has extra facilities.

http://www.chetnet.co.uk/articles/index.php?page=index_v2&id=114&c=19

http://www.chetnet.co.uk/articles/index.php?page=index_v2&id=109&c=19

[

TraxData
20-09-2007, 18:04
From what i heard from a friend at NTL business you need a 2020 or a 2050 modem because it has NAT capability. It looks like a 200 or a 250 for the 2050 but has extra facilities.

http://www.chetnet.co.uk/articles/index.php?page=index_v2&id=114&c=19

http://www.chetnet.co.uk/articles/index.php?page=index_v2&id=109&c=19

[

I'll take a screenshot when i get home of my 250 with the business config + photos of modem as proof.

Anyone who wants the guys name will have to drop me a msg as i wont publically give out his full name for obvious reasons

Sirius
20-09-2007, 18:26
I'll take a screenshot when i get home of my 250 with the business config + photos of modem as proof.

Anyone who wants the guys name will have to drop me a msg as i wont publically give out his full name for obvious reasons

You might have a 250 but do you have the Nat capability that you get with the 2050 ?

sollp
20-09-2007, 18:34
Still looking for some confirmation that traffic is routed differently over the business service to the residential service if any of the VM employees on here can answer that question ?

It's all on the same UBR's ect, same CATV network, different account giving you the benefits of having a business type connection.

Muppetz
20-09-2007, 18:44
It's all on the same UBR's ect, same CATV network, different account giving you the benefits of having a business type connection.

If its on the same UBR's ect then what benefits are there ? (apart from the SLA)

sollp
20-09-2007, 22:17
If its on the same UBR's ect then what benefits are there ? (apart from the SLA)

It's to do with the benefits of having a business account like has already been pointed out in post 4. Doesn't matter about being on a different UBR or card, it's about what your account gives you.

Muppetz
20-09-2007, 22:33
It's to do with the benefits of having a business account like has already been pointed out in post 4. Doesn't matter about being on a different UBR or card, it's about what your account gives you.

All post 4 does is point to the ntl business page, which tells you about the SLA and support.

My question is - is traffic treated any differently to residential clients ? if not, then what is the day to day difference in connection ? will it still go to crap after 4 o' clock when the kids get back from school ? will latency still be all over the place in the evenings ? - if the business service is somehow segregated or separated from the residential then I would hope not. (obviously NTL can't control the internet outside their own realm though !)

ie, in the real world, if I switch from a residential to a business connection am I likely to have a better quality of connection (ie less congestion and better latency) ?

This is, at present, extremely unclear. And since those concerns are the ones influencing my move or not to business service then to me "being on a different UBR or card" may well matter.

sollp
20-09-2007, 22:48
you get better contention ratios, ect, you really need to ring them for yourself to get what you info you need.

You won't be on a different UBR or card, it's the account that gives you the benefits. I don't know myself what exactly you get with the business broadband account.

Remember there is a traffic management policy:

http://www.virgin.net/allyours/faqs/traffic_faqs.html#how_know_work

reggplant
23-09-2007, 17:25
I don't think there is a traffic management policy on Business BB

Stuart
23-09-2007, 17:39
you get better contention ratios, ect, you really need to ring them for yourself to get what you info you need.

You won't be on a different UBR or card, it's the account that gives you the benefits. I don't know myself what exactly you get with the business broadband account.

Remember there is a traffic management policy:

http://www.virgin.net/allyours/faqs/traffic_faqs.html#how_know_work

Those TsandCs are for the ADSL virgin service.

---------- Post added at 17:39 ---------- Previous post was at 17:37 ----------

In fact, Virgin still provide business internet using the NTL Telewest name: http://www.ntltelewestbusiness.co.uk/

Muppetz
23-09-2007, 18:25
We seem to be going round and round in circles on this thread now..... Here is a summary of where we are at, hopefully we can add some intelligent answers to this now :

We have established (on page 1) that a Business Broadband is available from NTL Telewest for a cost of £40.00 + VAT + £49 + VAT setup charge and that you it is apparently you then need to separately cancel your residential service. (you also get a free phone line, which you don't have to use)

We have also established that there is no traffic management, the service is 10MB/750k, there is an AUP although it appears to be un-enforced. Also they intend to up this service to 20MB towards the end of this year.

Support is provided with an SLA of 6 hours telephone response (give or take, there are mixed reports) and is provided on an 0800 telephone number.

The contention ratio is apparently better than residential - either 12 to 1 or 20 to 1 depending on which phone monkey you speak to.

There is a minimum contract length of 2 years on the business service.

The questions which remain unanswered (and have done since the first page of this topic) are :

Is traffic actually routed / treated any differently than on the residential service ?

Is latency any better on business than on residential ?

How can the contention ratio be better than residential if (as some on here have said) you are still connected to the same UBR/Card ?

Is it just the exact same service that you get on residential but with the differences detailed above ?

These are the remaining questions, the answers to which will decide for me whether or not I move to the business service.

NOTE : 1 user on this forum (Traxdata) has apparently received much more favourable terms for the business service, and we are awaiting confirmation from him as to how he managed this !

sollp
23-09-2007, 19:37
We seem to be going round and round in circles on this thread now..... Here is a summary of where we are at, hopefully we can add some intelligent answers to this now :

We have established (on page 1) that a Business Broadband is available from NTL Telewest for a cost of £40.00 + VAT + £49 + VAT setup charge and that you it is apparently you then need to separately cancel your residential service. (you also get a free phone line, which you don't have to use)

We have also established that there is no traffic management, the service is 10MB/750k, there is an AUP although it appears to be un-enforced. Also they intend to up this service to 20MB towards the end of this year.

Support is provided with an SLA of 6 hours telephone response (give or take, there are mixed reports) and is provided on an 0800 telephone number.

The contention ratio is apparently better than residential - either 12 to 1 or 20 to 1 depending on which phone monkey you speak to.

There is a minimum contract length of 2 years on the business service.

The questions which remain unanswered (and have done since the first page of this topic) are :

Is traffic actually routed / treated any differently than on the residential service ?

Is latency any better on business than on residential ?

How can the contention ratio be better than residential if (as some on here have said) you are still connected to the same UBR/Card ?

Is it just the exact same service that you get on residential but with the differences detailed above ?

These are the remaining questions, the answers to which will decide for me whether or not I move to the business service.

NOTE : 1 user on this forum (Traxdata) has apparently received much more favourable terms for the business service, and we are awaiting confirmation from him as to how he managed this !

If your saying my help isn't intelligent enough or any ones else that has bothered to give you help, oh, and by the way the phone monkeys you referr to, do also help on this site as well. So if you don't like or believe the help given on here phone the monkeys again.

So i think my assistance or lack of will cease.

---------- Post added at 19:37 ---------- Previous post was at 19:36 ----------

Those TsandCs are for the ADSL virgin service.

---------- Post added at 17:39 ---------- Previous post was at 17:37 ----------

In fact, Virgin still provide business internet using the NTL Telewest name: http://www.ntltelewestbusiness.co.uk/

Yep your right.

Muppetz
23-09-2007, 19:55
Apologies sollp, from your replies it struck me that you had not read the thread, as you did not seem to add to the information we already had at all - I had not meant to cause you offence, only to attempt to re-direct the topic back towards finding out what the technical (note not SLA/support) benefits of the business service over the residential might be.

This is not merely for my benefit, it seems there are many who are unhappy with the residential service and who might consider the business service - once we can actually identify how that service differs.

"Phone Monkeys" was also not meant to cause offence, in my job I am often reffered to as a cable monkey !, but I can understand how others may find it offensive and apologies for that.

mojo
25-09-2007, 19:33
Anyone got any more info on this? I'd happily pay the connection free if it was £40/month INC VAT. Maybe more if it was 20/1.5 all day with priority traffic and no shaping, but ideally for that money 20/20 would be nice.

I don't really care about the support options and phone line, I just want a better net connection.

reggplant
25-09-2007, 19:45
Anyone got any more info on this? I'd happily pay the connection free if it was £40/month INC VAT. Maybe more if it was 20/1.5 all day with priority traffic and no shaping, but ideally for that money 20/20 would be nice.

I don't really care about the support options and phone line, I just want a better net connection.
Thats not going to happen because of the way that the frequencies are allocated :P 20/1.5 is great for the price because it also has a lower contention ratio.

mojo
25-09-2007, 19:57
I got used to 100/100 for £17/month out in Japan, and really came to appreciate the value of a symetric connection. The low upload speeds on Virgin really hold you back.

Chris W
25-09-2007, 22:40
I got used to 100/100 for £17/month out in Japan, and really came to appreciate the value of a symetric connection. The low upload speeds on Virgin really hold you back.

That should read on all UK Broadband connections- not an issue specific to Virgin. If you want a symetric connection in the uk then you are looking at paying top dollar.

mojo
26-09-2007, 20:03
Indeed. I have given up on the UK, bottom line is it's going to remain a BB backwater for a long, long time. The only solution is fibre, and no-one wants to lay it. Even if they do, you can bet it won't be £17/month (25 Euros in France) with no caps.

Pyr0
02-10-2007, 15:57
So did anyone manage to contact Traxdata?

I sent a PM, but have had no reply :(

I need a better connection than is given on this pathetic, so-called 20M cable.
I'm not a heavy user, but I still find websites time out while loading pages, upload speeds are abysmal, and downloads are erratic. All of which are rather annoying when trying to upload images and edit webpages (especially when it times out saving them after editing)

If I could get the same deal as Traxdata did, keeping this 255 modem etc. for £40 inc VAT per month, I think I would switch immediately if it would guarantee me a better connection.

Muppetz
02-10-2007, 16:11
I had a reply from Traxdata, but it does not bode well for us. From what I can understand he ended up on the business package at a reduced rate as the result of some fairly heavy complaining etc after being on residential, and it took a lot of work from his end to get there.

The offer from the business team is as detailed earlier in this post, £40+VAT (VAT is not an issue if you are indeed a business) 24 month contract, and decent SLA.

What we still don't know is if and how traffic might be treated differently to residential - it has been stated that it is not, and that the difference is the SLA/service/contention/account privileges but the poster then subsequently said that they didnt know about the business service, so who knows ?

mojo
03-10-2007, 15:11
Virgin should off the £40/month deal to all home customers. Although their official price for 20meg is £37 only a fool pays that much. Most people have probably had theirs reduced by now. I only pay £25, for example.

Chrysalis
04-10-2007, 00:36
This type of package is probably what consumers could expect if they werent so price sensitive so residental peeps get sold budget priced stuff that is of low quality.

Back when I was on ntl I was considering the business package but was limited to only a 1.5mbit package at the time so I didnt go ahead with it but did speak to them on the phone. What was clear was they had different departments handling business customers all uk based I spoke to and was treated more professional then a standard call centre. What you paying for with this package is ultimately a SLA, freephone support and higher priority on faults. The static ips are very nice as well and it is less likely throtting type stuff will take place. There is also more advanced hardware supplied as well.

mojo
04-10-2007, 10:25
Actually I think the static IPs and NAT based router-modems are probably a downside for me. I'd prefer just a raw modem connection and my own router. A dynamic IP is fine and means I can change IP easily if I ever need to (only had to do it once).

APS
04-10-2007, 11:41
We have the business service. Generally it has been reliable and fast. Contrary to one post, the modem does not have to be run in NAT mode, we use our own internal router.

You do get "fixed" IPs but they can change if the UBR is reconfigured or the modem changed.

Not sure about how the improved contention ratio is applied - I suspect it may partly rely on the fact that business use is mainly in the day when domestic users are out. If there is anything smarter than this then any domestic user on the same UBR may have something to complain about!

APS

---------- Post added at 11:41 ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 ----------

One other fact about the SLA. We have never been told we have any special SLA for the cable modem. On the website I cannot find any reference to a SLA for internet services provided by a cable modem (only more expensive options).

There is reference on the same page to a SLA for business telephone lines (one of which you get optionally) and sometimes a break in service is common to both the telephone line and cable modem - but this is not always the case.

So my understanding is that a business cable modem has the same SLA as a domestic one, i.e. nothing worth writing down. You do get access to a free support line, but when a field engineer is required (not often) then you get domestic levels of service, i.e. sometimes days rather than hours.

If anyone knows different and would like to point me to the business cable modem SLA I would be very happy to get a copy for future use.

APS

Hugh
04-10-2007, 11:49
Virgin should off the £40/month deal to all home customers. Although their official price for 20meg is £37 only a fool pays that much. Most people have probably had theirs reduced by now. I only pay £25, for example.
Being on 4Mb, that statement doesn't bother me personally, but you have probably managed to insult quite a few CF members there. :dozey:

On the contrary side of your proposition, how do people expect investment in the network if VM offer reduced prices to everyone - the Network Fairy? :D

btw, I don't think VM should have offered 20Mb (or any other line-speed) unless the Network could support it.

Chrysalis
05-10-2007, 06:31
APS The SLA is on ringback and I remember been told business customers will get priority on faults over residental of course that may have been rubbish but I am going on what I was told. I would be very surprised if there was a SLA on the service itself because as you said its a cable modem service not a leased line.

Sirius
05-10-2007, 07:30
but you have probably managed to insult quite a few CF members there. :dozey:

Very much so.

mojo
05-10-2007, 10:10
Being on 4Mb, that statement doesn't bother me personally, but you have probably managed to insult quite a few CF members there. :dozey:

I used to be on 4 meg. It was pathetic in the evenings so I complained and got a free upgrade to 20 meg. Now, even though it's still slow in the evenings, it is at least close to the 4 meg I actually pay for.

Actually, I think VM probably get a good deal out of this situation as well. During the day I have a fast connection, so I can turn my PC on in the morning before work and when I get home most stuff has downloaded. Thus, I am not hammering my connection during peek times.

If VM gave everyone a speed bump during off-peak times, it might encourage them to use them more. The difference between 4 meg and 20 meg for downloading is massive, both for direct download services like Usenet and for P2P where having a very low upload speed severely limits your download rate.

On the contrary side of your proposition, how do people expect investment in the network if VM offer reduced prices to everyone - the Network Fairy? :D

btw, I don't think VM should have offered 20Mb (or any other line-speed) unless the Network could support it.

You answered your own question there. If I had a solid, constant 4 meg connection I wouldn't have complained. However, in the evenings it became unusable. I just want something akin to what I am paying for. VM should not have upgraded to 20 meg before the network was ready.

I'm afraid your attitude is typical of British companies. It's like ths busses - passenger numbers are down, so we had better raise fares to compensate. That just drives more passengers away. If they took the long term view, beyond this year's shareholder meeting, they would invest in more busses, more frequent services and more reasonable prices.

The same thing applies to VM - they need to borrow money, invest in major network upgrades and look to the long term where they will be able to offer HDTV on demand, even faster internet etc. They will be forced to eventually anyway, as it looks like the government is going to push FTTH and BT will most likely install it. FTTH is at least a 50 year investment, probably more.

Hugh
05-10-2007, 16:27
I have 4Mb, and it is rock-solid - sorry that your's wasn't.

btw, it's often not "companies" that can't see beyond the next board meeting - it's the city analysts who, if companies aren't continually growing/becoming more profitable, write down the share price, which then devalues the company and makes it harder/more expensive to raise loans (due to the company being worth less) and more susceptible to takeovers (where the first thing that usually happens is cost cutting to pay back the debt raised to fund the takeover) - so not as simple as you put it, perhaps.

btw, you were mixing your metaphors - I was talking about reducing tariffs which made less available for investment, you came back with fare-rises, which is completely different.

mojo
05-10-2007, 17:42
btw, it's often not "companies" that can't see beyond the next board meeting - it's the city analysts who, if companies aren't continually growing/becoming more profitable, write down the share price, which then devalues the company and makes it harder/more expensive to raise loans (due to the company being worth less) and more susceptible to takeovers (where the first thing that usually happens is cost cutting to pay back the debt raised to fund the takeover) - so not as simple as you put it, perhaps.

Well, I do have to agree with you there. We must be doing something wrong - other countries don't seem to have these kinds of problems. It's not just Japan and Korea who are rolling fibre out, parts of the US and some of our European neighbours are doing it too. I can see why the government is worried - Japan started FTTH in 1999 (same year as iMode incidentally) so we are already eight years behind at least. What's more, tests earlier this year showed that during peek times average speeds available on 100/100 connections were around 76Mb. I wish I had a link to that report now.

btw, you were mixing your metaphors - I was talking about reducing tariffs which made less available for investment, you came back with fare-rises, which is completely different.

No, that was my point, it's the same problem. VM basically decided they needed to move to 20Mb because Sky were offering those kinds of speeds in similar triple play packages. Sky already have more channels, more HD, better STBs, better PVRs etc. BT phone services are sometimes cheaper and have more features (free Privacy stuff like caller ID, not even available in ex-C&W areas like Portsmouth). Sky Broadband I don't know about, but the point is they had serious competition. So, they decided they had to move to 20 meg. Might as well up the price a bit as well, since the network can't handle the load and needs upgrading anyway. Of course, at the same time they made the service substantially worse for most of their customers - latency went up, speeds are throttled. Anyone who goes for the top package clearly wants to use that kind of bandwidth, probably during peek times when it's convenient for them. In other words, they realised their service was not up to their competitors (in the busses case that is usually cars) so they made it worse and more expensive in the hope they could use marketing deception ("unlimited", "up to" etc) to con people into thinking it was better.

Really, the service was much better when it was 10 meg. God only knows what will happen when 50 meg comes in.

Hugh
05-10-2007, 20:29
Re Japan, this is (imho) an interesting article - Japan's Warp Speed (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/28/AR2007082801990_pf.html)
"With the help of government subsidies and tax breaks, NTT launched a nationwide build-out of fiber-optic lines to homes".

I can't see the UK Government doing that.

Rik
05-10-2007, 21:49

In that case im quite happy to be a fool. :rolleyes:

My connection has been first class, full 20MB ever since it was introduced and rock solid connection.

More than happy to be a fool and pay £37 for a rock solid very fast and reliable connection :)

TraxData
05-10-2007, 21:52
In that case im quite happy to be a fool. :rolleyes:

My connection has been first class, full 20MB ever since it was introduced and rock solid connection.

More than happy to be a fool and pay £37 for a rock solid very fast and reliable connection :)

Course, for normal working people its not 20mbit rock solid when they get shaped within an hour of being online of course.

I would never pay £37/month for an hours worth of 20mbit, no one i know pays full price anymore because of STM.

before STM i had a perfect solid 10mbit connection, 20mbit came in, which when STM wasnt enabled, was great, soon as STM kicked in it all went to hell (high latency, high pings, unbrowseable net).

All is perfect on the business package im on tho

Rik
Really, the service was much better when it was 10 meg. God only knows what will happen when 50 meg comes in.

My 20MB is better than my 10MB was, and when 50MB is released im sure it will be even better than my 20MB line.

TraxData
My 20MB is better than my 10MB was, and when 50MB is released im sure it will be even better than my 20MB line.

Yea and if your real lucky they'll let you use it for a grand 30minutes before putting you down to 5mbit.

Rik
05-10-2007, 21:59
Course, for normal working people its not 20mbit rock solid when they get shaped within an hour of being online of course.

I would never pay £37/month for an hours worth of 20mbit, no one i know pays full price anymore because of STM.

before STM i had a perfect solid 10mbit connection, 20mbit came in, which when STM wasnt enabled, was great, soon as STM kicked in it all went to hell (high latency, high pings, unbrowseable net).

All is perfect on the business package im on tho

Going over old ground again are we?
Oh well here we go again.

I turn my pc on 8am it has my downloads queued up, i come home at 3pm and am pleased to see all my downloads all nicely finished and ready to watch, i am more than happy to be shaped between 4-12 as I can download absolutely Gigs and Gigs of data in the day, 5MB is more than enough bandwidth.

You really shouldnt assume that everyone is disastisfied with their service.

For some they are extremely happy with this whole arrangement, I certainly am.

It works for me as the A Team said :D

Go on try it folks!
Put your pc on in the day downloading, it wont blow up your pc!! lol

---------- Post added at 21:59 ---------- Previous post was at 21:56 ----------

Yea and if your real lucky they'll let you use it for a grand 30minutes before putting you down to 5mbit.

Incorrect, I use it for a whole 8hrs some days at 2.35MB/s which in my opinion is not too shabby at all ;)

Someone else can do the maths, 2.35MB/s x 8 hrs then whatever I Download at 5MB speeds, bloody good deal if you ask me.

TraxData
05-10-2007, 22:02

I turn my pc on 8am it has my downloads queued up, i come home at 3pm and am pleased to see all my downloads all nicely finished and ready to watch, i am more than happy to be shaped between 4-12 as I can download absolutely Gigs and Gigs of data in the day, 5MB is more than enough bandwidth.

Go on try it folks!

And again, the whole point of paying a premium price for 20mbit is to be able to download things FASTER.

If they wanted 5mbit, they'd pay for 5 (ok well 4).

Again, MOST people do NOT leave their pc while they are at work or in bed (i dont while asleep for noise reasons for example)

Nor do people wish to use extra electricity just to download something while they are out.

And while we're on that discussion, average family who has 20mbit has it because their kids etc like to game as well as browse the net and do the odd download.

Now, think of this, kids get home from school, parents get home from work and WITHOUT doing any "heavy" downloading (sorry, 3gb is NOT heavy, average demos now weigh in at nearly 2gb) and WHAM! 20mins down to 5mbit just from kids playin on xbox, downloadin the odd mp3 etc.

That's unfair and not worth £37/month for.

But well, people like you who pay full whack are the ones being ultra ripped off so i dont mind :p:

im quite enjoying my 20mbit/1.5mbit up business package @ £28/month with NO STM what so god damn ever :)

---------- Post added at 22:02 ---------- Previous post was at 22:01 ----------

Go on try it folks!

---------- Post added at 21:59 ---------- Previous post was at 21:56 ----------

Incorrect, I use it for a whole 8hrs some days at 2.35MB/s which in my opinion is not too shabby at all ;)

Someone else can do the maths, 2.35MB/s x 8 hrs then whatever I Download at 5MB speeds, bloody good deal if you ask me.

And yet again people do not want their pcs on while they are at work or in bed, THUS its not a good deal if they wanna download while actually home from work now is it, nope, sorry, it isnt.

And just for a point, STM isnt affecting heavy downloaders, those just use it out of peak times now (which makes browsing during the day even worse, at least here)

It affects the honest people paying full whack who come home from work expecting to use something they are paying for and getting ****ty things in return

Rik
05-10-2007, 22:05
And again, the whole point of paying a premium price for 20mbit is to be able to download things FASTER.

If they wanted 5mbit, they'd pay for 5 (ok well 4).

Again, MOST people do NOT leave their pc while they are at work or in bed (i dont while asleep for noise reasons for example)

Nor do people wish to use extra electricity just to download something while they are out.

And while we're on that discussion, average family who has 20mbit has it because their kids etc like to game as well as browse the net and do the odd download.

Now, think of this, kids get home from school, parents get home from work and WITHOUT doing any "heavy" downloading (sorry, 3gb is NOT heavy, average demos now weigh in at nearly 2gb) and WHAM! 20mins down to 5mbit just from kids playin on xbox, downloadin the odd mp3 etc.

That's unfair and not worth £37/month for.

But well, people like you who pay full whack are the ones being ultra ripped off so i dont mind :p:

im quite enjoying my 20mbit/1.5mbit up business package @ £28/month with NO STM what so god damn ever :)

---------- Post added at 22:02 ---------- Previous post was at 22:01 ----------

And yet again people do not want their pcs on while they are at work or in bed, THUS its not a good deal if they wanna download while actually home from work now is it, nope, sorry, it isnt.

Im not saying the whole arrangement is ok for "Everyone" but for me its a fabulous arrangement and I couldnt be happier, as for the "dont want to use electricity" argument, crikey we are living in 2007 arent we?

I personally have no problem leaving my pc on all day, as many many people do.

At the end of the day, everyone is different has completely different needs regarding their broadband usage.

Very Happy Chappy here tho :)

mojo
05-10-2007, 22:05
I can't see the UK Government doing that.

You never know, the government minister for that sort of thing did say he wanted faster BB and even mentioned public involement. To what extent remains to be seen, and I suspect probably depends at the moment what sort of deal BT can broker.

That was indeed a very interesting article. A choice quote:

"Obviously, without the competition, we would not have done all this at this pace,"

Where is the competition in the UK? VM has no money and service is poor. BT has no interest in lowering access charges or going beyond 8 meg any time soon. LLU is still a major pain in the **** and not available everywhere.

Everything is short contracts as well in Japan, so if it's crap you can just switch provider at the drop of a hat. Mobile phones are the same - the minimum contract is 1 week. No cancelation fees.

Anyway, back to the main topic, does anyone actually have the fabeled Business BB and what are the actual terms? Is there any throttling? Does it seem faster? How much are you paying? etc...

Rik
05-10-2007, 22:10
People have moaned and moaned about STM tho ever since it was introduced, has it made Virgin change their stance on the STM policy? I think not, they arent going to budge so people have the option if they are disastisfied to look elsewhere, I would take a guess tho and say the majority of 20MB users on VM are quite happy tho, as I am.

mojo
05-10-2007, 22:10

I have only one question for you, sir: "How?!"

I want this deal.

Even if I have to sacrifice a goat.

TraxData
05-10-2007, 22:14
Im not saying the whole arrangement is ok for "Everyone" but for me its a fabulous arrangement and I couldnt be happier, as for the "dont want to use electricity" argument, crikey we are living in 2007 arent we?

I personally have no problem leaving my pc on all day, as many many people do.

At the end of the day, everyone is different has completely different needs regarding their broadband usage.

Very Happy Chappy here tho :)

Yes we are living in 2007 and if you hadnt noticed electricity isnt exactly cheap these days.

My point is the average family work all day and do not leave their pc on, thus payin £37/month for 20minutes of 20mbit is not worth £37/month at all.

Yes, everyone has different needs, average people are only online 4pm onwards.

People who abuse the service leave their pc on all day downloading, are you not getting my point?

STM only affects honest users, heavy downloaders/abusers just download all day now instead oh and as soon as it hits midnight (when VMs speed takes a massive hit here.

So, do you, think its worth £37/month for an average person who doesnt download much just enjoys going on the net every so often? i wouldnt think so, and many people dont think so, thus why u get so many people on here who refuse to pay full price.

---------- Post added at 22:12 ---------- Previous post was at 22:10 ----------

People have moaned and moaned about STM tho ever since it was introduced, has it made Virgin change their stance on the STM policy? I think not, they arent going to budge so people have the option if they are disastisfied to look elsewhere, I would take a guess tho and say the majority of 20MB users on VM are quite happy tho, as I am.

They havent done anything about it, because they cant afford to, they only implemented 20mbit because they had serious competition from sky, unfortunetly they decided not to spend any money on upgrading the network to cope with these speeds so they just put STM on instead.

As for people looking elsewhere, an awful lot of people cant do that (like the place iused to live at was way too far away from an exchange to even get BB at all) so i was stuck with VM.

They aint going to budge because they cant afford too, they dont give a flying *aherm* about their customers.

---------- Post added at 22:14 ---------- Previous post was at 22:12 ----------

I have only one question for you, sir: "How?!"

I want this deal.

Even if I have to sacrifice a goat.

Simple.

Stay with them for many many many years with loyalty.

Get an awful service thanks to them implementing STM.

Ring them, complain till your blue in the face and have spoken to alot of managers, write to them, meet one of the managers (yea i did and i gave him more than an earful about the incompetence of the company)
And then, if your lucky, you'll get on that lifetime package.

Rik
05-10-2007, 22:22
So, do you, think its worth £37/month for an average person who doesnt download much just enjoys going on the net every so often? i wouldnt think so, and many people dont think so, thus why u get so many people on here who refuse to pay full price.

TBH tho should an average user that doesnt download much be on a 20MB package?

They should really look at downgrading.

I can see where you are coming from and I am one of the lucky people that arent "average" and can afford to leave my pc on all day downloading what i have queued (please note this doesnt mean its downloading ALL the time, its just downloading what ive queued, all legal of course ;))

Serious now tho, can anyone see VM ditching the STM and changing their stance on it?

Fairplay Traxdata for going on to the Business package and getting all your problems sorted, cant knock you for that, but I just wanted to point out some folks are perfectly happy with their 20MB which seems to cause quite a stir these days.

---------- Post added at 22:22 ---------- Previous post was at 22:18 ----------

Try a Zalman fan they are very quiet.

TraxData
05-10-2007, 22:41
TBH tho should an average user that doesnt download much be on a 20MB package?

They should really look at downgrading.

I can see where you are coming from and I am one of the lucky people that arent "average" and can afford to leave my pc on all day downloading what i have queued (please note this doesnt mean its downloading ALL the time, its just downloading what ive queued, all legal of course ;))

Serious now tho, can anyone see VM ditching the STM and changing their stance on it?

Fairplay Traxdata for going on to the Business package and getting all your problems sorted, cant knock you for that, but I just wanted to point out some folks are perfectly happy with their 20MB which seems to cause quite a stir these days.

---------- Post added at 22:22 ---------- Previous post was at 22:18 ----------

Try a Zalman fan they are very quiet.

Ah but you see this is a point im trying to get across.

Average families who go onto 20mbit go onto it for its speed, especially when sharing with their kids etc who like to game, so to be on for an hour then suddenly shaped to 5mbit despite not actually downloading anything (so hardly classed as heavy users) and they do this 3-5 times a week, its very unfair on them, so it wont be worth £37/month to them, and this is something VM havent managed to work out themselfs.

Downgrading will just lower their STM limit, which is even worse.

It's a good thing STM is only a short time thing (its implemented mainly while they handle the "cloners")

lol as for what your downloading, yes must be all those perfectly legal linux isos ;)

I'm very fond of them as well :D:p:

Chrysalis
06-10-2007, 05:58
I used to be on 4 meg. It was pathetic in the evenings so I complained and got a free upgrade to 20 meg. Now, even though it's still slow in the evenings, it is at least close to the 4 meg I actually pay for.

Those were the days.

my 10 meg ran at 2meg so I downgraded only to find my 2meg ran at 500kB so I got free upgrade back to 10meg to get the 2 meg I was paying for :)

mojo
22-10-2007, 11:57
Any news on this? Anyone had any luck getting business (aka "what you pay for") level service?

ECW_Original
22-10-2007, 12:16
Any news on this? Anyone had any luck getting business (aka "what you pay for") level service?

Me and my partner are going to order it on Thursday as we are both sick and fed up with slow speeds and browsing (took me 9 seconds to load this page)

So I will report back on how it all goes, and depending on when they actually connect me, I will post some speedtests & downloads for ya!:)

mojo
22-10-2007, 12:48
Many thanks ECW_Original. Looking forward to what info you have, especially if there is any traffic shaping. May I ask, what sort of deal have you got on it? How much are you paying?

Kaychsea
22-10-2007, 14:12
Yes we are living in 2007 and if you hadnt noticed electricity isnt exactly cheap these days.

If that's the worst you can come up with you can set your PC to shut down at a specific time. It's what I do with the washing machine if I'm leaving the house early, if I was a heavy downloader it's what I would do anyway..

Muppetz
22-10-2007, 14:28
Me and my partner are going to order it on Thursday as we are both sick and fed up with slow speeds and browsing (took me 9 seconds to load this page)

So I will report back on how it all goes, and depending on when they actually connect me, I will post some speedtests & downloads for ya!:)

Thanks ECW, I look forward to hearing your experience !

sprattgraham
22-10-2007, 14:48
I've been told £40 month for 10mb (20mb January) & Phone Line.

The Contention Ratio most of the time is less than 20:1

Cisco Modem
24x7 UK Based Phone Support (0800),
6 Hour Response

ECW_Original
22-10-2007, 18:15
Many thanks ECW_Original. Looking forward to what info you have, especially if there is any traffic shaping. May I ask, what sort of deal have you got on it? How much are you paying?

I havent got it yet lol!

Im going to order it on Thursday, with mine & my partner's wages, we should have enough to get everything done and then order the business package.

My reasons for wanting it, I will tell them honnestly & frankly:

I want a solid connection, where the speeds you state are what I actually get, NOT a quarter of it, and I am fed up with all of this STM, even though I have only gone over my limit once, I STILL ONLY get a maximum of a 2.5MegaBit connection and I am being charged top money for it.

So yeah, as soon as I have put the phone down on them, I shall come back here to say how it is going so far!:)

hokkers999
22-10-2007, 19:44
You might have a 250 but do you have the Nat capability that you get with the 2050 ?

I don't know about the 250 modem what I do know is that with my Linksys and a DD-WRT f/w load I get ALL of the nat etc stuff including radius server and wifi hotspots already! Don't need NAT in a modem (dumb place to put it anyway) and what if I only have 1 PC anyway?

If they'll do 10/768 for 40 and I can keep my existing 2 number phone setup I'll take it.

---------- Post added at 19:44 ---------- Previous post was at 19:40 ----------

I had a reply from Traxdata, but it does not bode well for us. From what I can understand he ended up on the business package at a reduced rate as the result of some fairly heavy complaining etc after being on residential, and it took a lot of work from his end to get there.

The offer from the business team is as detailed earlier in this post, £40+VAT (VAT is not an issue if you are indeed a business) 24 month contract, and decent SLA.

What we still don't know is if and how traffic might be treated differently to residential - it has been stated that it is not, and that the difference is the SLA/service/contention/account privileges but the poster then subsequently said that they didnt know about the business service, so who knows ?

Unless like me you work in financial services which are vat *exempt* !

sprattgraham
22-10-2007, 20:11
I was told 20:1 Contention Ratio and Business takes priority

mojo
22-10-2007, 20:32
I've been told £40 month for 10mb (20mb January) & Phone Line.

The Contention Ratio most of the time is less than 20:1

Cisco Modem
24x7 UK Based Phone Support (0800),
6 Hour Response

Very interesting. Is that £40 inc VAT? Any word in traffic shaping?

TraxData
22-10-2007, 21:19
Very interesting. Is that £40 inc VAT? Any word in traffic shaping?

It's been said many times in this thread, traffic shaping/STM does NOT apply to residential business bb customers.

AmAtoL
22-10-2007, 21:21
That's very interesting indeed, but really only what we should be getting in the first place.
I would be happy to pay that sort of money for a top notch service.

sprattgraham
22-10-2007, 21:21
No Limts,

mojo
23-10-2007, 12:23
It's been said many times in this thread, traffic shaping/STM does NOT apply to residential business bb customers.

So they say, but I don't think anyone has actually posted definite proof of that. Like actually having it installed and trying to download over 3GB during peek times.

ntl.wotcha
23-10-2007, 12:42
It mentioned earlier in the thread that you had to cancel your residential service but is that just the BB/Phone part or are we talking the whole thing including TV ?

Can you keep a residential TV service and take the Business BB and phone ?

ECW_Original
23-10-2007, 12:58
Can you keep a residential TV service and take the Business BB and phone ?

YES!! Yes you can :):)

sprattgraham
23-10-2007, 13:23
So they say, but I don't think anyone has actually posted definite proof of that. Like actually having it installed and trying to download over 3GB during peek times.

No limit on Business BB

TraxData
23-10-2007, 15:11

I go over 3gb between 4-12 everyday, if you've read through, i have their 10mbit/768k BB package, no STM at all.

I do well over 1TB/month without complaints.

ECW_Original
25-10-2007, 11:53
Right, an update to those interested in this thread:

I have sucessfully ordered my 10Mb business BB line 15 minutes ago (call 0800 953 0180 Option 2) and this is what the outcome is:

10Mb bb ordered, if it is just Broadband, then they charge £149 connection, but if you take the free business line too(free line rental) then the installation charge is reduced to just £49, and I confirmed that the line rental is free and that I dont have to use it if I dont want to (which is good)

The operator was very helpful, and took me through everything and explained it all so I could understand, I now have to wait 5-11 days for an engineer to call and arrange an install date & time with me, and the first ever payment will be £49, upto 6 weeks after installation (which is paid via a direct debit that was also set up over the phone).

Also, I asked a few times just to make sure, but the 10Mb business broadband is 100% UNLIMIED!! (just for those that didnt believe or wasn't sure)

So if there are any more developments I will post back to keep you all updated! :):)

Mr_love_monkey
25-10-2007, 12:14
Right, an update to those interested in this thread:

I have sucessfully ordered my 10Mb business BB line 15 minutes ago

How much is the monthly charge on that?

ECW_Original
25-10-2007, 12:22
How much is the monthly charge on that?

It is £40 a month, he said nothing about VAT, maybe that was because I explained that I was already a VM residential BB user, but I wanted a Business line as I wanted the speeds I was being charged for and most importantly, TOTALLY UNLIMITED :angel::angel::angel:

kev445
25-10-2007, 12:35
Hi,

Only started reading this thread yesterday…

We are an NTL Telewest business customer on the 10Mbit broadband cable modem service. From what I can tell we are on the exact same equipment as residential customers, going through the same UBR and taking the same routes as consumers.

Our speeds vary from 256Kbit to 10Mbit during the course of the day, with up to 15% packet loss!

Kev

ECW_Original
25-10-2007, 12:40
Hi,

We are an NTL Telewest business customer on the 10Mbit broadband cable modem service. From what I can tell we are on the exact same equipment as residential customers, going through the same UBR and taking the same routes as consumers.

Our speeds vary from 256Kbit to 10Mbit during the course of the day, with up to 15% packet loss!

Kev

Have you thought this might be down to either Over-subscription of your UBR, or it could even be modem cloners in your area stealing all your bandwidth?

sprattgraham
25-10-2007, 12:45
Hi,

Kev

Business customers have Cisco Modems and not the cheap rubbish residential customers get.

If you have this problem why not get them to fix it, you have a 6 response SLA

mojo
25-10-2007, 12:47
Thanks very much ECW_Original. Just to clarify that, the monthly cost is £49 inc. VAT?

ECW_Original
25-10-2007, 12:53
Thanks very much ECW_Original. Just to clarify that, the monthly cost is £49 inc. VAT?

No, the first payment is for £49, I was told this is the installation charge, but if you tell them you are an existing VM customer, and you tell them you dont have a business, I dont think you have to pay VAT, he just told me after the Installation Charge of £49 that it would then be £40 a month, plus any calls you have made, if any.

kev445
25-10-2007, 13:01
Hi,

We do have a fault open and I must admit the level of support received so far has been excellent.

We have a WebSTAR EPC2100R2 modem.

The engineer was very open and honest and explained that it looks like our area is busy with traffic. Although he couldn’t give a date he did mention that they will be re-balancing things shortly?

Kev

Mr_love_monkey
25-10-2007, 13:16
I dont think you have to pay VAT, he just told me after the Installation Charge of £49 that it would then be £40 a month, plus any calls you have made, if any.

Even without a business you'll have to pay the VAT - most business costs are given out without VAT becasue most businesses are able to claim it back, so the 'real' cost of the VAT is nothing - but you won't be able to do that.

mojo
25-10-2007, 19:28
See what comes up on your bill I guess. If it's £40 inc VAT with 20 meg in January it seems kind of pointless to pay £3 less and have to put up with crappy ratios and traffic shaping.

piggy
25-10-2007, 19:41
Business customers have Cisco Modems and not the cheap rubbish residential customers get.

If you have this problem why not get them to fix it, you have a 6 response SLA

ex-ntl use the same as residential currently the 255

TraxData
25-10-2007, 20:02
See what comes up on your bill I guess. If it's £40 inc VAT with 20 meg in January it seems kind of pointless to pay £3 less and have to put up with crappy ratios and traffic shaping.

Dont forget the 20mbit in january business package will have 1.5mbit up :)

sprattgraham
25-10-2007, 20:04
ex-ntl use the same as residential currently the 255

Not what I was told a few days ago

piggy
25-10-2007, 20:34
Not what I was told a few days ago

i cant speak for other areas but in the northwest we use the same as residential

mojo
27-10-2007, 19:15
Would still like to know if that £40 includes VAT. Having said that, even if it doesn't it might be worth paying £47 odd. In a household with three computer users we are constantly hammered by traffic shaping and poor speeds affecting gaming etc.

With 1.5Mb up and a reliable 20 meg service we could easily share the connection. I use a pfsense router with packet prioritisation so even when downloading heavily ping times stay under 40ms and web browsing is fast. It only works if Virgin are not congested and there is no traffic shaping though.

Ian-Highlander
30-10-2007, 10:12
I had business broadband installed a week or two ago and am thoroughly impressed so far. I have kept my residential account as well, so am now running both for different purposes.

Both modems run off the same physical cable using a splitter so it has to be connected to the same physical card in the UBR, whether or not they route data differently I can't say, certainly they use the same DNS server cluster for lookups and everything else appears to be on the same basic network.

Modem wise, I'm in an ex-NTL area of Hertfordshire (Stevenage) and the modem supplied was an NTL-2050 modem which is basically the same as the old 250 but allows multiple IP's.

As for the details. When I phoned up they asked me for my company details and then verified them before continuing with the sale which seemed a bit strange as others haven't mentioned this happening. I do have a Ltd company and it was for use for that company so in my case it wasn't an issue but seemed a bit strange and others may want to be aware of it.

I asked several questions that where more than the sales girl could answer so she put me through to a 3rd line tech to deal with that then he transferred me back afterwards to continue the sale. They normally only offer 1 static IP but if you mention it and ask they'll give you five at no additional cost. There is a one off £10 fee for the static IPs which is nothing as far as I'm concerned and I happily paid it, using those IPs properly is another story which I'll get into in a minute. They won't give you reverse DNS on any IP's they provide but the only thing this is a pain for is my mail servers and they provide an SMTP smart host to relay the mail through so not an issue to me.

The only issue I couldn't get them to answer was how exactly they expect you to utilise those static IP's securely. Because of the frankly crap system that ties an IP number to a MAC address and has to be registered specifically to that MAC address and come from that MAC address to work it means that those IP numbers have to be directly connected to the modem, their answer was to plug a switch into the modem and have each device plugged into the switch. When I pointed out that wasn't exactly very secure due to being unable to firewall most of those machines without building five seperate firewalls as well or purchasing a fully managed Cisco switch (something my company can't afford right now as we're just starting out) the guy was basically stumped and apologised saying that was the only advice that he could give. Currently I'm hoping to implement a DMZ inbetween the modem and the switch using a transparent IPTables stateful packet inspecting tunnel but am not overly confident it will work, the only other solution I can think of is to physically install six network cards in a Linux firewall/router. If anyone has any better ideas or has solved the same problem themselves I'd be very grateful to know how you went about it.

As for the service, I have to say thus far I've had the best service I have experienced from any company so far which I really wasn't expecting. As an example I had a cable fault last week which took both my modems out (residential and business). One ten minute phone call to the freephone number and three hours later I had two engineers appear at my door who pulled a brand new cable through right down the road to the UBR and half hour later both modems where back on line and running better than ever. To say I'm pleased with that level of service is a major understatement.

There are still some things I'm unsure of, I was simply quoted £40 a month like others but don't know if that includes V.A.T or not although don't care either way for myself. I was assured there is no throttling on the business line but to be honest I doubt I'd ever hit that sort of usage on it anyway at least in the short term. It's not often I hit the throttle on my residential line.

Anyway, overall, very happy camper so far with the service and overall deal, time will tell I guess but it's going to take something pretty awful to change that opinion.

If, however as I mentioned anyone has a better solution to be able to securely use the mutiple static IP's I'm all ears. I have servers set up ready and waiting for them, but won't be hooking them up until I'm confident they're as secure as they can be. :)

crowsnest
31-10-2007, 13:51
I have just ordered business bb for £40 plus vat,what you are suposed to get is 10Mb bb+telephone,up to 5 static ip addies,free domain name and access to a control panel to admin it all,20:1 contention with other business users which in theory means in the evening it should fly,free support line with up to 6 hours fix time,apparently its seperated from domestic users tho i dont know how they acheive this,next step is a site survey so things may be clearer then,will keep you posted...

mojo
31-10-2007, 14:22
£47 inc VAT is a bit high but when it moves to 20 meg, I think it would be worth it for a household with three or more users. That is, assuming it lives up to it's claims about contention, no traffic shaping and is fast in the evenings.

Residential should offer something in the middle. Some sort of extra you can pay to get rid of traffic shaping and lower your contention, but without the business stuff like phone line, fixed ip, 6 hour response etc.

crowsnest
02-11-2007, 11:03
£47 inc VAT is a bit high dont forget this does include phone with all the extra's as standard,in my case running a web server,team speak server +main pc and two laptops,for me this seems a good deal.if you have only one pc and no phone perhaps it would'nt be..my order has been submitted via snail mail..assuming it lives up to it's claims about contention, no traffic shaping and is fast in the eveningsYES agreed,we shall see,what a hard way of finding out,at the end of the day virgin domestic is crap,tho some are lucky and getting what they pay for..

Richy99
02-11-2007, 11:05
£47 inc VAT is a bit high

but it is a business service at the end of the day not a reseidental one so it will cost more and most businesses will claim the VAT back

TraxData
02-11-2007, 21:18
£47 inc VAT is a bit high but when it moves to 20 meg, I think it would be worth it for a household with three or more users. That is, assuming it lives up to it's claims about contention, no traffic shaping and is fast in the evenings.

Residential should offer something in the middle. Some sort of extra you can pay to get rid of traffic shaping and lower your contention, but without the business stuff like phone line, fixed ip, 6 hour response etc.

Im getting annoyed at typing this.a

Its a business package, it never has nor ever will have STM applied to it, doing that to business customers just isnt a smart idea.

Will people get that through their heads please.

crowsnest
23-11-2007, 21:09
OK,,got an install date monday 26th,so will let you know how it performs.;)

ECW_Original
23-11-2007, 21:13
Well I got a voicemail left on my mobile today to inform me that my install will be next Thursday (29th), and as of yet, there is no idea of a time engineer will arrive, but it could be anytime between 9am - 5pm (gotta love it, really ya do!!) but hoping they will come in the morning as I got a painful dentist appointment in the aft, so I need somethin to look forward to, might ease the pain slightly!

Sirpingalot
24-11-2007, 17:14
Does the switchover of service from home to business require a new modem, and activation?

ECW_Original
24-11-2007, 17:21
Does the switchover of service from home to business require a new modem, and activation?

As far as I am aware yes!

The chap looked at my existing modem, and asked if I wanted the new 1 placed there, and I told him I did, and said Im not sure about if Im going to leave the 20Mb residential service just yet and he said "no problems, I will let you keep the 255 then"

So fingers crossed a brand new shiney(well maybe not shiney) modem to look at :)

Sirpingalot
24-11-2007, 17:23
Ah..so maybe there is something very different about this then..

TraxData
24-11-2007, 17:23
As far as I am aware yes!

The chap looked at my existing modem, and asked if I wanted the new 1 placed there, and I told him I did, and said Im not sure about if Im going to leave the 20Mb residential service just yet and he said "no problems, I will let you keep the 255 then"

So fingers crossed a brand new shiney(well maybe not shiney) modem to look at :)

Depends, you do and you dont.

They will want to give you a new modem though, however the 255 is fine.

Sirpingalot
24-11-2007, 17:24
let us all know how it goes anyway, as I'm seriously considering it, after this nonsense!

ECW_Original
24-11-2007, 17:28
let us all know how it goes anyway, as I'm seriously considering it, after this nonsense!

No problems fella, I will post back everything, as I too am gambling with my very last tiny bit of patience for NTL/VM, if this dont sort the speeds out then screw them, I WILL pay the £125 for BT as I am sick and fed up with pre-3Mb speeds, nope, cannot even get a solid 1.5Mb, no matter what time of the morning, afternoon, evening, night, midnight etc... VM sucks donkey ****

AmAtoL
24-11-2007, 21:18
Sat, 24 Nov 2007 21:13:48 UTC

Test 1: 1024K took 437 ms = 2343.2 KB/sec, approx 19308 Kbps, 18.86 Mbps
Test 2: 1024K took 422 ms = 2426.5 KB/sec, approx 19994 Kbps, 19.53 Mbps
Test 3: 1024K took 438 ms = 2337.9 KB/sec, approx 19264 Kbps, 18.81 Mbps
Test 4: 2048K took 844 ms = 2426.5 KB/sec, approx 19994 Kbps, 19.53 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 19640 Kbps, 19.18 Mbps

Ok that's me in Stockport, that isn't bad at all. However if I try and game online the ping and loss is horrendous, would the business level service sort this out ? Instead of routing all traffic through Botswana.

Sirpingalot
24-11-2007, 22:35
Are there ANY proxies that we could use to free this network of some bandwidth?

---------- Post added at 22:35 ---------- Previous post was at 22:32 ----------

Sat, 24 Nov 2007 21:13:48 UTC

Test 1: 1024K took 437 ms = 2343.2 KB/sec, approx 19308 Kbps, 18.86 Mbps
Test 2: 1024K took 422 ms = 2426.5 KB/sec, approx 19994 Kbps, 19.53 Mbps
Test 3: 1024K took 438 ms = 2337.9 KB/sec, approx 19264 Kbps, 18.81 Mbps
Test 4: 2048K took 844 ms = 2426.5 KB/sec, approx 19994 Kbps, 19.53 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 19640 Kbps, 19.18 Mbps

Ok that's me in Stockport, that isn't bad at all. However if I try and game online the ping and loss is horrendous, would the business level service sort this out ? Instead of routing all traffic through Botswana.

Sun, 25 Nov 2007 06:31:51 UTC

Test 1: 1024K took 6094 ms = 168 KB/sec, approx 1384 Kbps, 1.35 Mbps
Test 2: 1024K took 5891 ms = 173.8 KB/sec, approx 1432 Kbps, 1.4 Mbps
Test 3: 1024K took 4281 ms = 239.2 KB/sec, approx 1971 Kbps, 1.92 Mbps
Test 4: 2048K took 11250 ms = 182 KB/sec, approx 1500 Kbps, 1.46 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 1572 Kbps, 1.53 Mbps

And that's me in bromborough..why, if we are on the same tier should you get a better speed than I, or anyone else..(I'm not referring specifically to you, just anyone getting better speeds than us)? It doesn't make sense

ECW_Original
24-11-2007, 22:52
Are there ANY proxies that we could use to free this network of some bandwidth?

---------- Post added at 22:35 ---------- Previous post was at 22:32 ----------

Sun, 25 Nov 2007 06:31:51 UTC

Test 1: 1024K took 6094 ms = 168 KB/sec, approx 1384 Kbps, 1.35 Mbps
Test 2: 1024K took 5891 ms = 173.8 KB/sec, approx 1432 Kbps, 1.4 Mbps
Test 3: 1024K took 4281 ms = 239.2 KB/sec, approx 1971 Kbps, 1.92 Mbps
Test 4: 2048K took 11250 ms = 182 KB/sec, approx 1500 Kbps, 1.46 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 1572 Kbps, 1.53 Mbps

And that's me in bromborough..why, if we are on the same tier should you get a better speed than I, or anyone else..(I'm not referring specifically to you, just anyone getting better speeds than us)? It doesn't make sense

Back in Peterborough, speed the same rubbish:

Sat, 24 Nov 2007 22:50:25 GMT

Test 1: 1024K took 10535 ms = 97.2 KB/sec, approx 801 Kbps, 0.78 Mbps
Test 2: 1024K took 7801 ms = 131.3 KB/sec, approx 1082 Kbps, 1.06 Mbps
Test 3: 1024K took 11827 ms = 86.6 KB/sec, approx 714 Kbps, 0.7 Mbps
Test 4: 2048K took 22232 ms = 92.1 KB/sec, approx 759 Kbps, 0.74 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 839 Kbps, 0.82 Mbps

To repeat this test from the source server click here.

AmAtoL
24-11-2007, 23:44
I don't get that speed all the time, in fact just a second before that was taken I was getting about 7 Mbps.
Threads are popping up all over here about packet loss, and I suffer from it as well, probably only gamers notice how bad it actually is.
The outright speed is not the most important thing for me, it's the quality of connection that matters, and that isn't good at all.

Sat, 24 Nov 2007 23:45:19 UTC

Test 1: 1024K took 469 ms = 2183.4 KB/sec, approx 17991 Kbps, 17.57 Mbps
Test 2: 1024K took 6015 ms = 170.2 KB/sec, approx 1402 Kbps, 1.37 Mbps
Test 3: 1024K took 4375 ms = 234.1 KB/sec, approx 1929 Kbps, 1.88 Mbps
Test 4: 2048K took 7547 ms = 271.4 KB/sec, approx 2236 Kbps, 2.18 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 5890 Kbps, 5.75 Mbps

Just did this.

TraxData
24-11-2007, 23:46
Back in Peterborough, speed the same rubbish:

Sat, 24 Nov 2007 22:50:25 GMT

Test 1: 1024K took 10535 ms = 97.2 KB/sec, approx 801 Kbps, 0.78 Mbps
Test 2: 1024K took 7801 ms = 131.3 KB/sec, approx 1082 Kbps, 1.06 Mbps
Test 3: 1024K took 11827 ms = 86.6 KB/sec, approx 714 Kbps, 0.7 Mbps
Test 4: 2048K took 22232 ms = 92.1 KB/sec, approx 759 Kbps, 0.74 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 839 Kbps, 0.82 Mbps

I think you'll find that speedtest is complete crap.

Peterborough ubrs aint overloaded/oversubscribed as far as im aware, so its issues elsewhere

AmAtoL
24-11-2007, 23:59
Like here 213.105.242.245 man-bb-b-so-020-0.inet.ntl.com
and here 212.250.14.114
and here 195.72.129.14

ECW_Original
25-11-2007, 09:41
I think you'll find that speedtest is complete crap.

Peterborough ubrs aint overloaded/oversubscribed as far as im aware, so its issues elsewhere

Erm, sorry to disagree with ya Trax, but yes they are!!!
I have had it confirmed by a VM employee on here, plus countless managers and TS, and of course, Ive known this for ages, see the main problem is that my headend desperately needs upgrading from the steam & hamster driven equipment, and YES, my UBR is way over subscribed...

ahh Peterborough...

Ex NTL Bell CableMedia region. Histroically NTL were always a bit "cheap" when it came to providing equipment and, unfortunately, this region is suffering. Peterborough hasnt had an equipment upgrade yet doe to technical issues with the headend equipment. Hence the UBR's are stil using decomissioned MC16E cards compared to the newer MC28U cards used elsewhere. There are speed issues with all the UBR's in this region and also an issue with cloned modems, which appear to be causing the majority of speed issues. Virgin Media are rolling out further upgrades to ex NTL regions to counter this and hopefully your speeds will improve soon but at the moment there is no ETA for completion of this work.

vmuser027
25-11-2007, 10:00
Hi TraxData,

Do you know of any oversubscribed UBRs in the Wolverhampton area? Get bad speeds in the evening here...i thought STM was 'supposed' to sort this out?

TraxData
25-11-2007, 14:09
Erm, sorry to disagree with ya Trax, but yes they are!!!
I have had it confirmed by a VM employee on here, plus countless managers and TS, and of course, Ive known this for ages, see the main problem is that my headend desperately needs upgrading from the steam & hamster driven equipment, and YES, my UBR is way over subscribed...

Hmm, i've checked stats for a few of peterboroughs ubrs and they all show around 40-60% load, nowhere near full capacity, had a tech check as wel land its the same, me thinks something is wrong there. :confused:

ECW_Original
25-11-2007, 14:53
Hmm, i've checked stats for a few of peterboroughs ubrs and they all show around 40-60% load, nowhere near full capacity, had a tech check as wel land its the same, me thinks something is wrong there. :confused:

Yes there IS something wrong, and it is because of the matter I said earlier, I know what I know AND what I have been told too.

Sun, 25 Nov 2007 14:50:32 GMT

Test 1: 1024K took 11716 ms = 87.4 KB/sec, approx 720 Kbps, 0.7 Mbps
Test 2: 1024K took 52226 ms = 19.6 KB/sec, approx 162 Kbps, 0.16 Mbps
Test 3: 1024K took 3084 ms = 332 KB/sec, approx 2736 Kbps, 2.67 Mbps
Test 4: 2048K took 33007 ms = 62 KB/sec, approx 511 Kbps, 0.5 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 1032 Kbps, 1.01 Mbps

ALSO, can you explain why this test took 104.989seconds to complete?

TraxData
25-11-2007, 15:01
Yes there IS something wrong, and it is because of the matter I said earlier, I know what I know AND what I have been told too.

Sun, 25 Nov 2007 14:50:32 GMT

Test 1: 1024K took 11716 ms = 87.4 KB/sec, approx 720 Kbps, 0.7 Mbps
Test 2: 1024K took 52226 ms = 19.6 KB/sec, approx 162 Kbps, 0.16 Mbps
Test 3: 1024K took 3084 ms = 332 KB/sec, approx 2736 Kbps, 2.67 Mbps
Test 4: 2048K took 33007 ms = 62 KB/sec, approx 511 Kbps, 0.5 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 1032 Kbps, 1.01 Mbps

ALSO, can you explain why this test took 104.989seconds to complete?

It's a crap speedtest, you really need to do mulitple downloads from a fast http server or the newsgruops to see how good/bad your connection is.

And i meant something wrong with a few of the ubrs reporting back incorrect stats (this happens quite often in bag lol)

ECW_Original
25-11-2007, 15:06
It's a crap speedtest, you really need to do mulitple downloads from a fast http server or the newsgruops to see how good/bad your connection is.

And i meant something wrong with a few of the ubrs reporting back incorrect stats (this happens quite often in bag lol)

Downloaded 2 games from mickysoft(if THEY dont have the bandwidth, who does!!) Halo & AOE3trial, with a maximum speed of 115KB/s

So I gues that kinda backs up the speedtest results there!

As a side note: whenever I do speedtests, they ALWAYS give me the same speeds as what the downloads do.

OldGeezer
25-11-2007, 15:15

So when TS said my UBR was running at 42% utilisation at the same time I'm getting

Sun, 25 Nov 2007 15:09:07 GMT

Test 1: 1024K took 9360 ms = 109.4 KB/sec, approx 901 Kbps, 0.88 Mbps
Test 2: 1024K took 10750 ms = 95.3 KB/sec, approx 785 Kbps, 0.77 Mbps
Test 3: 1024K took 11328 ms = 90.4 KB/sec, approx 745 Kbps, 0.73 Mbps
Test 4: 2048K took 18468 ms = 110.9 KB/sec, approx 914 Kbps, 0.89 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 836 Kbps, 0.82 Mbps

its the UBR (spc1-macc2-0-0-cust***.bagu.broadband.ntl.com) that's telling porkies?

TraxData
25-11-2007, 15:22
So when TS said my UBR was running at 42% utilisation at the same time I'm getting

Sun, 25 Nov 2007 15:09:07 GMT

Test 1: 1024K took 9360 ms = 109.4 KB/sec, approx 901 Kbps, 0.88 Mbps
Test 2: 1024K took 10750 ms = 95.3 KB/sec, approx 785 Kbps, 0.77 Mbps
Test 3: 1024K took 11328 ms = 90.4 KB/sec, approx 745 Kbps, 0.73 Mbps
Test 4: 2048K took 18468 ms = 110.9 KB/sec, approx 914 Kbps, 0.89 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 836 Kbps, 0.82 Mbps

its the UBR (spc1-macc2-0-0-cust***.bagu.broadband.ntl.com) that's telling porkies?

Yes because bagu ubrs have been running at around 140-160% for over a year now

OldGeezer
25-11-2007, 16:09
So, getting back on topic, would a business connection help or would I still be stuffed?

ECW_Original
25-11-2007, 18:56
So, getting back on topic, would a business connection help or would I still be stuffed?

Really not sure yet, as surely if we're gettin rubbish on residential, surely there wont be a lot of difference on business bb.

As soon as it is installed next thursday, I will be testing it, and if it ever drops as low as this then they can stick it!

There are 2 things that might happen: 1) speeds are greatly improved and we get what we are charged for or;

2) speeds the same rubbish as before, but just higher priority to these lower speeds...

as soon as someone in a "bad speed area" gets the business bb and lets us know, we really cant be sure.

crowsnest
26-11-2007, 18:22
Business installed today,2050 modem was great till about 4pm then slower and slower...

Mon, 26 Nov 2007 17:18:42 GMT

1st 512K took 1547 ms = 331 KB/sec, approx 2727 Kbps, 2.66 Mbps
2nd 512K took 2031 ms = 252.1 KB/sec, approx 2077 Kbps, 2.03 Mbps
3rd 512K took 2015 ms = 254.1 KB/sec, approx 2094 Kbps, 2.04 Mbps
4th 512K took 3157 ms = 162.2 KB/sec, approx 1337 Kbps, 1.31 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 2059 Kbps, 2.01 Mbps
cpc2-oxfd1-0-0-cust373.oxfd.cable.ntl.com
this is supposed to be 10mb ????? what now ??

To repeat this test from the source server click here (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/testyourspeed/?1196097531968).

TraxData
26-11-2007, 18:23
Business installed today,2050 modem was great till about 4pm then slower and slower...

To repeat this test from the source server click here (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/testyourspeed/?1196097531968).

Please, for the love of god dont use an online speed test to determine how good your connection is.

Use newsgroups or fast http please

Sirius
26-11-2007, 19:34

cpc2-oxfd1-0-0-cust373.oxfd.cable.ntl.com

Did you think it would be that simple. Come on it's VM

Gary L
26-11-2007, 19:39

Fill this form in :)
http://tinyurl.com/2475fo

crowsnest
26-11-2007, 20:16
Please, for the love of god dont use an online speed test to determine how good your connection is
that was just for comparison,i check about 12 websites during the day and evening,morning they load in split seconds,in the evening several minutes..

any tech on here able to check out this ubr cpc2-oxfd1-0-0-cust373.oxfd.cable.ntl.com please ????

mojo
26-11-2007, 21:39
Report a fault and see how quickly VM fix it. It is supposed to be priority support, after all.

ECW_Original
29-11-2007, 10:15
Getting my business lines installed today, so I'll keep you all posted on how it goes & what its like :)

Sirpingalot
29-11-2007, 18:11
Guess it didn\'t go too well then.

Gary L
29-11-2007, 18:25
Guess it didn\'t go too well then.

He's waiting for the Reply to post window to open.

ECW_Original
29-11-2007, 20:13
llol sorry guys, just had to try & find the renf proxy so I could login to here, as before I could only view as a guest without a proxy.

No, its typical NTL/VM bull****, I called up at 3pm to see where the engineer was, and was told that as I had to go to the dentist for a checkup, then nobody came as they "didnt know when I would be back", and was promised that someone would call me up to let me know the situation..

5pm comes, not a dickiebird from them, called back and the same person as before said "well there is still time, the engineers sometimes do overtime, you havent had a call to say they are not coming so take it that they are still coming" so I hung up.

5:30 comes, and by now I am extra annoyed, so I called up NTL:Telewest CS, this guy was pretty thick really...

Said an engineer HAD been, but nobody was home, LIAR, I was in ALL day apart from half 2-3, but there was still people here, so I explained that, and he basically called me a liar, I repeated what Id just said, then he checked the system and then retorted "Well your install date aint until 5th december" to which I quickly replied "So if my install date is the 5th December, how do you conclude that an engineer came round but nobody was home?" to this I got the reply "well it was probably the serveyer" and I explained that he came about a week ago, then I got "well i really dont know what has happened" no **** shurlock!!!

So he told me he'd call first thing in the morning, this was met with a "well that wont be possible as I am in a meeting until 2pm" so it was arranged that I'd get a call around 2pm to tell me what happened...

All in all, pretty typical service Ive come to hate from this bunch of cowboys!!

If it is not sorted out by tomorrow then they can cancel it before its even installed!

Sirpingalot
29-11-2007, 22:29
llol sorry guys, just had to try & find the renf proxy so I could login to here, as before I could only view as a guest without a proxy.

No, its typical NTL/VM bull****, I called up at 3pm to see where the engineer was, and was told that as I had to go to the dentist for a checkup, then nobody came as they "didnt know when I would be back", and was promised that someone would call me up to let me know the situation..

5pm comes, not a dickiebird from them, called back and the same person as before said "well there is still time, the engineers sometimes do overtime, you havent had a call to say they are not coming so take it that they are still coming" so I hung up.

5:30 comes, and by now I am extra annoyed, so I called up NTL:Telewest CS, this guy was pretty thick really...

Said an engineer HAD been, but nobody was home, LIAR, I was in ALL day apart from half 2-3, but there was still people here, so I explained that, and he basically called me a liar, I repeated what Id just said, then he checked the system and then retorted "Well your install date aint until 5th december" to which I quickly replied "So if my install date is the 5th December, how do you conclude that an engineer came round but nobody was home?" to this I got the reply "well it was probably the serveyer" and I explained that he came about a week ago, then I got "well i really dont know what has happened" no **** shurlock!!!

So he told me he'd call first thing in the morning, this was met with a "well that wont be possible as I am in a meeting until 2pm" so it was arranged that I'd get a call around 2pm to tell me what happened...

All in all, pretty typical service Ive come to hate from this bunch of cowboys!!

If it is not sorted out by tomorrow then they can cancel it before its even installed!

Let's move to BE and leave it at that ECW! :D