PDA

View Full Version : Question

willas00
11-09-2007, 00:36
My Brother has 2MB BB From Virgin Media EX Telewest and he has just moved his bedroom around so he is in the smaller room but the modem is in the bigger room. We dont want to buy lots of Ethernet Cable to ensure the PC is connected to the Modem as We know the connection will get slower as ive learnt from college. We have considered going Wireless which will mean buying a router and a Wireless card for the PC however I was wondering if we rang Virgin Up if they would re-wire it so the modem goes into the other room.

I know if they would there would be the fee of £25. So would they do it or is there any thing else we can do?

My brother is not to keen on putting his PC on wireless (would proable kill it!)

Thanks

Bonglet
11-09-2007, 00:37
more like a £75 charge ;S.

fatassmichael
11-09-2007, 08:23
You could use homeplugs, but i dont know much about those.
See this thread for more info.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/87/33620545-homeplugs-any-good.html

NTLVictim
11-09-2007, 08:32
We dont want to buy lots of Ethernet Cable to ensure the PC is connected to the Modem as We know the connection will get slower as ive learnt from college.

....I think someone at college was yanking your chain....

Stuart
11-09-2007, 11:55
We dont want to buy lots of Ethernet Cable to ensure the PC is connected to the Modem as We know the connection will get slower as ive learnt from college.

Erm, wrong.. The speed of Ethernet is not affected by the length of cable (in fact, the standard says that you should be able to have up to 100 metres of cable between devices with no noticable effect, and with good quality cable, you can exceed this).

As an example: We use Gigabit Ethernet at work. The cables from the patch room are frequently long. We get gigabit speeds.

Toto
11-09-2007, 11:59
As Stuart said, if you can go Ethernet, its a lot easier and secure than a wireless router.....and yes, before somebody pops on and corrects me, YOU CAN secure a good wireless router. :)

Graham M
11-09-2007, 12:27

Well the lecturer was spouting rubbish, yeah you get more attenuation and noise the longer the cable is, but with a good quality cable you can go hundreds of meters before you get a slow down or total loss of signal.

PlanBee
11-09-2007, 13:53
Best option (based on 21 years in this game)
1) Don't change rooms
2) Move the modem - reduces cables
3) Homeplug - I use these for streaming from my Slingbox upstairs and for general browsing. As your BB speed is not mega fast you would not need the newer faster Homeplugs
4) Wireless router - I would never want to sleep in a room with a modem and wireless router generating heat, flashing lights and RF...
5) Run a piece of Ethernet cable - although this is good plan, its down at number five as it would mean the modem flashing away, the carpet having to be pulled up, walls drilled and the hassle of getting the cable crimped. OK if you have the tools.

NTLVictim
11-09-2007, 13:59
Well the lecturer was spouting rubbish,...

Uni lecturers aren't any better, from what I've been told..

Stuart
11-09-2007, 14:56
Best option (based on 21 years in this game)
1) Don't change rooms
2) Move the modem - reduces cables
3) Homeplug - I use these for streaming from my Slingbox upstairs and for general browsing. As your BB speed is not mega fast you would not need the newer faster Homeplugs
4) Wireless router - I would never want to sleep in a room with a modem and wireless router generating heat, flashing lights and RF...
5) Run a piece of Ethernet cable - although this is good plan, its down at number five as it would mean the modem flashing away, the carpet having to be pulled up, walls drilled and the hassle of getting the cable crimped. OK if you have the tools.

You do realise number 2 and number 5 would have the same problem. Number 5 has the advantage that if it goes wrong, Virgin won't charge £75 to to fix it.

willas00
11-09-2007, 18:27
Sorted this my Brother managed to extend the Cable that goes into the modem some how. And it works fine. Thanks for all the responses

XFS03
12-09-2007, 09:33
You do realise number 2 and number 5 would have the same problem. Number 5 has the advantage that if it goes wrong, Virgin won't charge £75 to to fix it.
IMO number 2 would be worse than number 5.
The thickness of the RF cable means it will be much harder to bend round corners etc. than the ethernet cable would be.

Ethernet cable is far more flexible than the coax cable.

AbyssUnderground
12-09-2007, 10:07
IMO number 2 would be worse than number 5.
The thickness of the RF cable means it will be much harder to bend round corners etc. than the ethernet cable would be.

Ethernet cable is far more flexible than the coax cable.

Its also much cheaper to replace if something goes wrong...