PDA

View Full Version : How much do you upload till traffic shaping comes into effect?

|Kippa|
10-09-2007, 23:42
Basically I know there is traffic shaping between 4pm and 12 midnight. I also know that the download limit in that time frame is 3gb (I am on 20mbit). What I don't know is what the upload limit is within that time frame. The past few days I have been uploading at full pelt from about 4pm and traffic shaping kicks in about 6pm (upload rate goes from 90k solid to 30k solid), even though I HAVE NOT downloaded anything. I certainly have not uploaded 3gb in the space of 2 hours.

This is going to be an issue for me because I play a lot of Real Time Strategy games and play large games like 4v4 in C&C 3 and Supreme Commander which uses lots of upload rate for these games. I can't really host a huge game in Supreme Commander only for the game to crash/fold because my upload rate is suddenly being cut.

Basically between 4pm and midnight how much can you upload before traffic shaping kicks in?

Zee
11-09-2007, 00:29
Upload is not included, meaning you can upload as much as you want.
Only download is shaped.

Bonglet
11-09-2007, 00:42
ill point you to this post here http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33620543-gaming-and-traffic-shaping.html where i left my comments as i see them atm its a country wide problem and they arent doing anything to fix it the old but you MUST have hit your shaping limit (no we dont fix it now please we waited long enough) excuses by some people on here are unreal i think they have shares in vm as staff.

|Kippa|
11-09-2007, 01:02
It goes straight from a solid 90k sec to a solid 30k sec. I looked at the upload graph in task manager when it was at 30k sec and it was solid, not erratic. If it were erratic with large variance I could understand it being a network problem. The fact that it was solid with very little variance suggests to me my upload connection had been downgraded/shaped. As I have said earlier this surpises me as I know for a fact that I haven't dowloaded anything at all in the past day or two when this has happend.

TraxData
11-09-2007, 01:22
Upload is not included, meaning you can upload as much as you want.
Only download is shaped.

Wrong, your upload gets shaped down to 30kb/s.

Numenor
11-09-2007, 04:14
I uploaded full bandwith (~90kb/s) from 4pm Friday afternoon until 3am Monday morning.

That makes it 59 hours of full uploading with no shaping on upload. In that time I downloaded during off-peak hours a total of 20gb.

From this I can say there is no traffic shaping on upload. Of course this is only my experience.

Paul K
11-09-2007, 06:06
As far as I know, your upload only gets impacted if you blow your download cap, if you do that they drop both speeds for the duration.

|Kippa|
11-09-2007, 07:53
Usually I can upload at full pelt at 90ksec during the 4pm to 12 midnight. It's just this week that the upload rate has stopped going 90ksec about 6pm going down to 30ksec. It has happend 2 days in a row and both days I have not been downloading anything. I hope VM aren't trying something new.

xspeedyx
11-09-2007, 15:00
erm I havent heard that might be ur area did you check if ur download speed was ok
cuz i have heard somethimes if someone in ur area goesn over the limit it can affect other users aswell

ECW_Original
11-09-2007, 18:31

Actually, you are wrong also!!
it is 32KB/s as this is what 256Kb/s is, and this has been confirmed to me by not only my good friend that works for VM in Sheffield, but also the Indians and also a few managers at VM...

TheNorm
11-09-2007, 18:39
...this has been confirmed to me by ... the Indians and also a few managers at VM...

So we should believe the cowboys?

ECW_Original
11-09-2007, 19:19
So we should believe the cowboys?

Fine then, I knew this was a mistake...

No matter WHAT I say, there is ALWAYS some clever so-&-so waiting to disagree with me, well I know I AM RIGHT!!!

And in future, I will not post anymore, being as it seems like a few people's days are not complete unless they are disagreeing, arguing or disrespecting other users...

From now on, I stay silent, and if anyone anytime actually needed help and nobody else could help, tough stuff as I WILL NOT post where my views are not respected, I dont do this to anyone else, and I certainly do not expect it from others...

A little thought for the day: TREAT PEOPLE AS YOU WOULD LIKE TO BE TREATED YOURSELVES!!!

Goodbye.

SOSAGES
11-09-2007, 19:44
well im no expert but i havnt downloaded much in the last 2 weeks i was on 4 meg until last week and happily uploaded at full pelt all the time

and now im on 20meg i upload for a lot more all the time as well....

AbyssUnderground
11-09-2007, 21:00
Fine then, I knew this was a mistake...

No matter WHAT I say, there is ALWAYS some clever so-&-so waiting to disagree with me, well I know I AM RIGHT!!!

And in future, I will not post anymore, being as it seems like a few people's days are not complete unless they are disagreeing, arguing or disrespecting other users...

From now on, I stay silent, and if anyone anytime actually needed help and nobody else could help, tough stuff as I WILL NOT post where my views are not respected, I dont do this to anyone else, and I certainly do not expect it from others...

A little thought for the day: TREAT PEOPLE AS YOU WOULD LIKE TO BE TREATED YOURSELVES!!!

Goodbye.

Now now children.

256Kbps / 8Bits = 32KB/s - This is the theoretical maximum speed excluding overheads

30KB/s includes overheads so actually both of you are sort of right depending on how you look at it.

eram
12-09-2007, 01:40
on 20mb XL virgin thingy whatever.. download loads. upload loads.. I use steams digital gaming service everyday.

Never been capped or shaped.. (yet) I fear to give out my location now in case they are watching :D

Surrey South East.

Cheers.

Zee
12-09-2007, 01:47

Wrong, that is only if you download over 3GB between 4pm-12am
if you upload 3GB between 4pm-12am, your upload will remain at 784K (or w/e it is supposed to be)

IanGuy
12-09-2007, 17:27
I'm pretty sure my upstream is getting shaped.

When I am shaped my 2mb connection changes from:

200KB/S DOWN, 20KB/S UP

to

100KB/S DOWN, 10KB/S UP

I also wish to state that I got shaped after uploading only. I uploaded a 1gb file to my ftp server then I was shaped. No big downloads throughout the day.

Stikky
12-09-2007, 18:37
This link will tell you how much they're supposed to be capping >

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html

...but its BS.

Im only on 2mb but when the capping comes in my download speed speed is dropping from 2064 kbps to 170 kbps.... just about 1/6 of what it should be!!
I've only noticed it drop that much over the last few days (since i put an official complaint in about something else ~ coincidence i ask?...lol) Before that it was dropping from 2000+ to 400,,, still only 40% of what it should be.
I've just phoned and asked to register another complaint,.,,,,i'll probably get cut off altogether now :D

TraxData
12-09-2007, 18:58
Wrong, that is only if you download over 3GB between 4pm-12am
if you upload 3GB between 4pm-12am, your upload will remain at 784K (or w/e it is supposed to be)

Wrong, you need to read t&c's, both upload and down count for the "3gb" limit

|Kippa|
12-09-2007, 19:23
The point was that I was only using upload rate at full pelt for 2 hours and then my upload rate was cut to 30ksec. I have to stress that I did no downloading that day at all. The same happend the day after and I had downloaded nothing that day either. I wonder if they are trialing something new. There is no way that I could have uploaded 3gb in the space of 2 hours.

|Kippa|
16-09-2007, 20:00
Basically my connection had been going haywire for about 5 days on the run. Because it was continuous I made a post in here, to see if anyone else had the same problem. A friend that I know had the same probelm with his connection. The good news is my connection is working fine all the time now, and my m8s connection working fine as well. Maybe they were just doing network upgrades/work for a few days. Glad to say everything is working fine now.

:)

pxr5
18-09-2007, 09:39
Actually (and I know I'm being a total pedant lol) it's 256 kbps/8.192 = 31.25 KB/s