PDA

View Full Version : VM internet prices not competitive

neoapple
09-09-2007, 21:27
Is it me or does vm internet prices suck
I mean they are so expensive for whats out there with other companys!
When will it ever end
For the price of 2mb it really should be a speed of 4mb
4mb should be 10mb

nicke261192
09-09-2007, 21:47
Many trials are going on and 2MB will be 4MB soon and 4MB will be 10Mb soon have you not seen the other threads??? VM internet prices are good value for money for people who dont live bang next to a telephone exhange. I personally have the 4MB and thats what i always get 4MB. My next door neighbour has the Sky 16MB package and gets 0.9MB!

Virgin is good value! And will be even better value soon! People dont understand the whole how far you live from your exhange effects your signal with ADSL but your more likely to get promiced speeds with Virgin Media Cable.

I know the 20MB is a bit of a ripoff at the moment but things are getting better slowly

sav112
09-09-2007, 21:52
I cant complain as its 2mb for only £10 for me. I did drop the TV and phone but that’s just basically because of the sky thing.

Would I pay for the 20MB, not in your life.

nicke261192
09-09-2007, 21:55
Also you can get 2Mb for £4.50 a month for the first 12 month now so its even better value

Matth
09-09-2007, 21:59
Depends partly on if it's fair to compare with the real cheapie ADSLs, or the more expensive, but Be value looks very competetive, and from an ISP that people seem to like.

A friend gets good speed from Talktalk, and while he's had a bout of unreliability, so have I with Virginmedia.

Similarly, another friend has Sky, and after I'd fixed a supposed "expert" installation with a missing microfilter letting the signal leak where it shouldn't go, also an ok speed (about 6Mbit on an 8Mbit service, though it may have gone to conservative settings due to the fouled up install (immediately after connecting the missed filter, 2Mbit from unusable before).

Plain monthly quotas (40GB for those two) are also a lot friendlier to patchy usage, though you could take the cynical approach and consider VM as unlimited at the lower speed, with a turbo-bost for lighter users.

And lets not forget the addition of support line charges.

So, so they deliver a premium quality service?
When it's good, it's very good, but when it breaks, they are no better than the worst of the ADSLs

nicke261192
09-09-2007, 22:00
True but i live ages away from my exchange and the BT line checker tells me the max i can get out of my line is 2MB :S cable is a lifeline for me :D

gulf4uk
09-09-2007, 22:28
HI

I Have read many threads on the 2 Will become 4 and 4 becomes 10 but there seems no truth in it at all . Virgin\ntl seem to know nothing at all on this except there sales people who seem to Say and do what they think is ok .
Loads of my friends have taken the bit and signed up elsewhere and now
there Sorry . Again good Salesmanship and thats ALL service in some cases
WHAT SERVICE . we moan about Virgin but stick with it it can only get Better .But then it could get worse so could everyone else .

leadbelly
10-09-2007, 00:11
Many trials are going on and 2MB will be 4MB soon and 4MB will be 10Mb soon have you not seen the other threads??? VM internet prices are good value for money for people who dont live bang next to a telephone exhange. I personally have the 4MB and thats what i always get 4MB. My next door neighbour has the Sky 16MB package and gets 0.9MB!

Virgin is good value! And will be even better value soon! People dont understand the whole how far you live from your exhange effects your signal with ADSL but your more likely to get promiced speeds with Virgin Media Cable.

I know the 20MB is a bit of a ripoff at the moment but things are getting better slowly

virgin media's number 1 fan right there.

Gareth
10-09-2007, 00:28
Yeah, I had thought that nicke261192 was a pseudonym for Richard Branson... but I think Branson would make fewer spelling mistakes and grammatical errors ;)

leadbelly
10-09-2007, 00:51
Yeah, I had thought that nicke261192 was a pseudonym for Richard Branson... but I think Branson would make fewer spelling mistakes and grammatical errors ;)

LOL

richard branson is dyslexic, didn't you know? :D

i'm being serious btw...

Gareth
10-09-2007, 00:54
Really? Nope, didn't know that. Fair play to him for not letting it hinder him in achieving what he's managed so far.

So, maybe it is him after all, eh...? ;)

leadbelly
10-09-2007, 00:59
Really? Nope, didn't know that. Fair play to him for not letting it hinder him in achieving what he's managed so far.

So, maybe it is him after all, eh...? ;)

yeah, he's done really well for himself. :)

Richard Branson, founder and chairman of London-based Virgin Group, didn't breeze through school. In fact, school was something of a nightmare for him. His scores on standardized tests were dismal, pointing to a dismal future. He was embarrassed by his dyslexia and found his education becoming more and more difficult. He felt as if he had been written off.

http://www.dyslexiaonline.com/famous/famous.htm

Magilla
10-09-2007, 18:31
People dont understand the whole how far you live from your exhange effects your signal with ADSL but your more likely to get promiced speeds with Virgin Media Cable.

Since you can only realistically compare like for like, imagine you are within the distance required to get a decent speed. Is VM still good value for the same package?

bonzoe
10-09-2007, 18:44
Since you can only realistically compare like for like, imagine you are within the distance required to get a decent speed. Is VM still good value for the same package?
Eh?
VM give me 4MB on 4MB service, ADSL would be less than 2MB.

Being realistic, you have to look at the real world, most people don't live close to an exchange.

Magilla
11-09-2007, 11:14
Eh?

It's not rocket science. *If* both services actually delivered what they advertised, which is the better value?

themelon
11-09-2007, 11:31
70% of the UK population live more than 2.5km from an exchange, therefore its likely the same 70% will get considerably less than the speeds advertised on ADSL.

Virgin Broadband is still very competative, it works reliably, isnt prone to dropping off and not reconnecting after about 28 modem reboots. The advertised speeds are much more realistic than most ADSL providers.

Seeing 8Mb advertised for £9.99 is all very well but chances are you with get about 2Mb if you are lucky.

Hugh
11-09-2007, 11:38
It's not rocket science. *If* both services actually delivered what they advertised, which is the better value?

and if fishes were pineapples, they'd be harder to skin, but easier to catch.

You have to do real world comparisons, not theoretical, because you get delivered the the real world service, not the theory...... :dozey:

Stuart
11-09-2007, 11:50
70% of the UK population live more than 2.5km from an exchange, therefore its likely the same 70% will get considerably less than the speeds advertised on ADSL.
True.

Virgin Broadband is still very competative, it works reliably, isnt prone to dropping off and not reconnecting after about 28 modem reboots. The advertised speeds are much more realistic than most ADSL providers.

You are forgetting one thing: area congestion. Also, the quality of installation and/or the network in some areas leaves a lot to be desired.

A lot of people are *not* getting anywhere near their advertised speeds on Virgin either.

Seeing 8Mb advertised for £9.99 is all very well but chances are you with get about 2Mb if you are lucky.

True.

Magilla
11-09-2007, 17:09
and if fishes were pineapples, they'd be harder to skin, but easier to catch.

You have to do real world comparisons, not theoretical, because you get delivered the the real world service, not the theory...... :dozey:

It's an answer, but not the correct one :dozey:

What a larf eh ;)

xspeedyx
11-09-2007, 18:17
what u have to relise aswell is cable you dont need a phone line so for example if your internet for bt is £14.99 you then need a bt phone line £11 so u could get 2mb adsl and that wil cost £25.99 as to vm £18 for 2mb

Daffy Duck
11-09-2007, 18:40

and if wishes were horses beggars would ride.....but they're not

ginge51
11-09-2007, 19:05
I cant complain as its 2mb for only £10 for me. I did drop the TV and phone but that’s just basically because of the sky thing.

Would I pay for the 20MB, not in your life.
I can't argue with my 10 pounds for 2 meg broadband either :)
When i was with gay oh hell they charged me 25 pounds per month for 1 meg broadband 2 years ago :(

bonzoe
11-09-2007, 19:32

My point is that in the REAL world they don't, and since I pay with REAL money, it's the REAL world which matters.

Hugh
11-09-2007, 19:32
It's an answer, but not the correct one :dozey:

What a larf eh ;)
Just because it's not the answer you wanted, doesn't make it incorrect..........

To follow through on your "logic", why not walk up to a girl in a bar, and say to her "If I was 6'2", muscular, handsome, rich, and had a Porsche Carrera outside, would you go out with me?". She may say "yes" to your theoretical question, but since the reality may not match the theory, what relevance does the question (or the answer) have?

Daffy Duck
11-09-2007, 22:07
Just because it's not the answer you wanted, doesn't make it incorrect..........

To follow through on your "logic", why not walk up to a girl in a bar, and say to her "If I was 6'2", muscular, handsome, rich, and had a Porsche Carrera outside, would you go out with me?". She may say "yes" to your theoretical question, but since the reality may not match the theory, what relevance does the question (or the answer) have?

Well...he could always try to negotiate her down to accept a 5'2" fat,balding pauper with a 20 year old Lada outside instead.

xspeedyx
11-09-2007, 22:52
but at the end customer will go to what they think is better and get stuck for 12 months most of the time but look at it this way you pay for what you get in this world

Web-Junkie
12-09-2007, 14:17
The annoying thing is I have NOT had any letter from VM informing me about shaping on my 4mb connection! So for my £25 I get a connection that is halved when I, and many others, use it during the only time I can (peak) and go over 750mb. Seeing as some game demos are now weighing in at 1.5Gb to 2Gb it takes longer for my 'faster 4mb connection' to download it so their 'boffins' who stated that some users where downloading 'as much as 3GB, just during peak times.' ought to re-evaluate their data as game demos are getting bigger and services like the BBC's iPlayer will increase what people download. So why shouldn't I be allowed to download over 3GB of demos during peak time as it's the only time I can damn well download anything!

Interestingly this statment on VM's FAQ's made me laugh:

Q: Is it true that downloads will be capped?
A: There are no intentions to introduce limits on the amount of data you can download.

Hmm.. but doesn't halving your speed for 4 hours limit the ammount of data you can download? Doesn't 'capping' your speed at 2mb for 4 hours constitute a limit then?

So no, it's not great value. Just because I get near 4mb speed does not alter the fact I have a speed restriction on download during the only time I can use the connection at what VM class 'peak' time. I also find STM still restricts my speed after the 12pm cutoff, clearly this is unnacceptable if shaping is turned off at 12pm so should any connection being shaped as well!

VM need to re-assess their pricing and shaping policy as they are clearly not up to date with 'real world' usage!!

Chrysalis
15-09-2007, 16:37
Is it me or does vm internet prices suck
I mean they are so expensive for whats out there with other companys!
When will it ever end
For the price of 2mb it really should be a speed of 4mb
4mb should be 10mb

You not comparing apples to apples, Where are you checking the price of unlimited 10meg?

ADSL LLU is more competitive but sky are loss leading for sure, BE is also not making money and are priced at a level where they trying to build a customer base.

ADSL non LLU are not more competitive then cable any packages sub £20 on adsl are likely to have limits imposed on them.

What is probably upsetting the pricing is cloned modems and the number of people on retention deals.

kristoficus
15-09-2007, 20:33
Interestingly this statment on VM's FAQ's made me laugh

Although they are being very sly, it's true. They are answering from the point of view of [monthly] capping, which they dont have. If the question was:

"Is it true that download speeds will be capped/limited?"

Then of course they would need to answer truthfully... But they are fly about it and they left the question to interpretation.

Web-Junkie
15-09-2007, 21:34
The FAQ is for Virgin Media, not NTL!

Nowhere in that FAQ is monthly capping referred to as monthly capping was under NTL if I remember rightly, so it's a general question on Virgin and download capping. What they've done is just introduce peak time 'daily' caps instead and conveniently 'forgot' to mention it in the FAQ.