PDA

View Full Version : Can any NTL associate help please?

psteel
07-09-2007, 20:31
Hi,

I've tried calling and spoke to a very nice Indian lady who could not grasp my problem.

The problem is

I have 2 accounts with NTL. One on cable at my home address and another adsl connection at my digs when working away from home. Say what you will, they have always been fine with me, until Virgin took over.

My adsl connection was upgraded from the 1mb ntl freedom account to 8mb(where that account exists, I'm not really too sure). That was absolutely useless and so I have regraded to a fixed 2mb connection which matches my adsl line speed.

For 2 years I have been on ntl freedom and ntl cable and been able to use my main ntl email address linked to the cable account. All of a sudden, coincidentally with my phone service being taken over by virgin, I am no longer able to send mail on my main account. It appears that virgin(cable) do not accept that virgin(adsl) is the same network, whilst ntlworld did.

Now while I know I can create 2 email accounts to get around this, it is a PITA when replying to mail, and I'd like to know why virgin (cable) refuse to accept connections from virgin(adsl).?

So can anyone please help, otherwise it is not worth keeping my main account going when it is so bloody difficult to use.

TIA

Chris W
07-09-2007, 20:48
i'm not sure if it will work, but can you get round it by using outgoing mail authentication? I've never tried it with virgin, but it is worth a bash!

Tech_Boy
07-09-2007, 20:48
If you just set your smtp server address to whatever Virgin.net say it needs to be, on your adsl connection, that should resolve your issue.

psteel
08-09-2007, 16:46
Indeed it does. Must be the only permutation I did not try, as it certainly did not like my virgin logon for the ntl pop server.

Thanks very much.
:)