PDA

View Full Version : Connecting DVD recorder to V+ box

Wazzer
06-09-2007, 12:23
Hi Folks.
I'm new to the forum, so hope you'll all bear with me if this topic has been covered before.
Virgin have recently installed me a V+ box to replace my ageing (1992 vintage) analogue Telewest box.
My previous TV/ DVD recorder setup was always run without an aerial as
these old analogue boxes (as you probably know) would allow recording of any terrestrial channel while watching any cable channel or vice versa.
In fact I no longer have an aerial.

During installation of the V+ box it was immediately obvious that the time signal to my DVD recorder had 'dropped out' and their fitter could not explain why; the time signal always being fundamental to its function as a recorder.
While I appreciate that the V+ box far exceeds the recording capabilities of the DVD recorder, is the DVD recorder now ONLY of any use as a player ?

joglynne
06-09-2007, 23:09
Hi Wazzer and https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/04/35.gif to the forums.

I'm afraid I can't advise you regarding the time not showing on you DVD recorder as I have not experienced that problem.

If you have connected your V+ to your TV by HDMI/DVI or component them the Scart outputs from the V+ are disabled apart from when you opt to archive recorded material from the V+ to the DVD recorder.

When I first got the V+ I automatically linked it to my recorder thinking that I would still use it as before. Quite frankly I now mainly use it as a backup storage facility for programmes that I have originally recorded on the V+ and want to keep permanently.

Wazzer
13-09-2007, 12:17
Thanks for the welcome Jo

I'm starting to think the same way as you. ie just using the DVD recorder
as a way of permanently archiving programmes.
My suspicions about my problem are that it all revolves around me having no aerial (hence why I mentioned it in my post)
I was just hoping there was someone out there who has the same set up.

Getting an aerial put up on the roof though is a rather expensive thing to do especially if :
a) it doesn't work
b) the limited use I would make of the DVD recorder to record programmes,
now I have the V+ box

cheers
Wazzer

naz121
25-09-2007, 18:15
You can disable the hdmi feature on the v+ box then you will be able to use your dvd recorder. I havnt got a v+ box so cant really tell you how to do it but i know it can be done.