PDA

View Full Version : 169 IP Address Problem

WhiteChristmas
03-09-2007, 14:08
Hello all, I wonder if anyone can help.

I've had Virgin for a couple of years in our old address but since moving to our new place (Walton on Thames) I've not been able to get broadband working, despite numerous converstions with Virgin.

I have Windows Vista (same as in the old place) and was given a new modem to replace my old Motorola Surfboard and new CD (which I now realise from the helpline isn't supported by Vista). I have tried everything I can think of (and everthing on Google) but I can't get anything other than a 169 IP address. I have tried uninstalling and installing the NIC drivers (it's an onboad card), changing the cat cable, etc. The only thing I haven't been able to check is the modem on another machine, however since my old modem returns the same IP address it makes me suspect it's my machine :confused:

The PC didn't receive any knocks in the move so I'm stumped!

Richy99
03-09-2007, 14:11
a 169 address is an internal windows one when it cannot get an IP for the nic

is the modem plugged directly into the computer or via a router?

WhiteChristmas
03-09-2007, 14:16
Thanks for your quick response.

I've tried it both ways (with ethernet cables, not USB).

janipewter
03-09-2007, 14:21
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/18084-169-ip-check.html

WhiteChristmas
03-09-2007, 14:29
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12...-ip-check.html

Yes, have read that sticky but it doesn't really give me a solution. If it is my machine (which worked prior to moving), how do I go about correcting the problem as I'm on the verge of reinstalling my operating system?

punky
03-09-2007, 14:35
Yes, have read that sticky but it doesn't really give me a solution. If it is my machine (which worked prior to moving), how do I go about correcting the problem as I'm on the verge of reinstalling my operating system?

You could try a Linux Live CD. See if the problem is with Windows or your setup. Allows you to try another operating system without making any changes to yours.

Cobbydaler
03-09-2007, 14:43
Have a look at the things suggested here (http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/06/19/reinstall-and-reset-tcpip-internet-protocol-in-windows-vista-2003-and-xp/)...

WhiteChristmas
03-09-2007, 14:50
You could try a Linux Live CD. See if the problem is with Windows or your setup. Allows you to try another operating system without making any changes to yours.

I wouldn't be opposed to installing Linux but I've never used it before, is it quite intuitive or would I need lots of google help? Also, where do I get hold of a Linux CD?

punky
03-09-2007, 14:57
You can get one here: http://www.ubuntu.com/

On the face of it, it isn't much different. Its just when you go under the skin does it start get very different.

Still, as you're only using it atm to check the your connection, its not much different. Boot the disk, click on Firefox (click the top left icon, applications, internet, firefox) and see what happens.

If you're using a router, i'd take that out of the setup before trying the live cd. Doesn't make any difference to the live CD, but could save you having to burn one.

WhiteChristmas
03-09-2007, 15:07
Have a look at the things suggested here...
Haven't tried that. That explains why I kept getting 'request must be elevated' when I've tried to reset the IP address from the command prompt.

Thanks - I'll try it this evening and let you know how I get on.

---------- Post added at 15:07 ---------- Previous post was at 15:01 ----------

You can get one here: http://www.ubuntu.com/

I will try resetting the TCP/IP address first and if that fails then I'll go down the Linux route. Thanks for your help

ferretuk
03-09-2007, 20:30

Talk about a hammer to crack a nut!

First - Are you connecting via a router or directly to the modem?

Second - Are the 'Power', 'Enet', 'Sync, 'Ready' LEDs on on the modem (I'm assuming you've got an NTL/Virgin 200 or 250 modem)

Third - Try manually setting your IP address to 192.168.100.2 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and then enter http://192.168.100.1 into your web browser. Do you get the modem diagnostic page?

Fourth - Did you phone up to register your new modem?

Let us know the answers to these questions before downloading Linux ISOs etc :)

WhiteChristmas
04-09-2007, 08:25
Hi ferretuk

1) I have connected the modem directly to the PC via ethernet but have also tried it with a router with the same response.

2) Yes, all the lights on the modem are on and once it's been on for about 10-20 secs the Sync and Ready LEDs remain steady.

3) I've not tried this but will do so tonight as resetting the TPC/IP didn't work last night, nor did resetting the winsock. Also, when I tried to reset the IP address in the CMD screen the connection timed out.

4) Yes it is registered. Interestingly enough, I though I would try hooking up my 360 direct to the modem just to see if it would work and it does. So I know it is definatley my PC at fault and not the modem/Virgin.

Does this sound like my onboard LAN is knackered (even though Windows tells me it is working correctly)?

Thanks for all your help so far everyone.

ferretuk
04-09-2007, 08:39
Hmm, the fact that the PC can't get an IP address from your router confirms that the problem is nothing to do with the VM setup or the new modem. As the PC worked before the move it's unlikely to be a Vista config either so that points to hardware.

Has your router got any LEDs associated with each LAN port to show connection, if so is it lit?

You've changed the Cat5 cable so that suggests that the NIC has failed.

WhiteChristmas
04-09-2007, 09:24
Has your router got any LEDs associated with each LAN port to show connection, if so is it lit?
From what I remember, both LEDs were lit for the connections but will give it another try tonight.

Out of interest, if I get a wireless router (which I was intending to do anyway as I don't want to run wires all the way upstairs) with either a USB dongle or wireless NIC that would get around the problem of my possibly failed on-board NIC wouldn't it?

Cobbydaler
04-09-2007, 17:23
From what I remember, both LEDs were lit for the connections but will give it another try tonight.

Out of interest, if I get a wireless router (which I was intending to do anyway as I don't want to run wires all the way upstairs) with either a USB dongle or wireless NIC that would get around the problem of my possibly failed on-board NIC wouldn't it?

Yes, although it's usually recommended that you do the initial security setup with a wired connection. It is possible to do it completely through wireless though.

One thing you should never do though is flash the router's firmware over the wireless link... ;)

WhiteChristmas
07-09-2007, 16:40
Finally got this resolved, it was down to my NIC card which has now been replaced. Thanks everyone for your help.

Cobbydaler
07-09-2007, 17:27
Glad you got it sorted... :)