PDA

View Full Version : Broadband ok through STB but not cable modem

fluffychick
03-09-2007, 07:39
Our cable modem seems to have given up. I've tried turning it off for a long period and trying again but nothing comes through. So I've hooked the router up to the set top box and this works fine.

How can I get a new cable modem without phoning tech support at 10p a minute, while they ask me to do everything apart from stand on my head?

Mick Fisher
03-09-2007, 12:48
How can I get a new cable modem without phoning tech support at 10p a minute, while they ask me to do everything apart from stand on my head?
Oh, have they dropped the standing on head section? IIRC that used to follow the jumping through the hoops section. :)

Seriously though, I don't think you can circumvent phoning TS as you will need an engineer to investigate your issue. :(

dudedude
03-09-2007, 14:03

25p/minute.....

Paul K
03-09-2007, 15:41
Only payable if the fault is not with VM though I am suprised the STB works when you are supposed to be on SACM???

Yeowser
03-09-2007, 16:04
Only payable if the fault is not with VM though I am suprised the STB works when you are supposed to be on SACM???

This is true, I had a problem with my broadband and rang the 25p/min number. Once VM confirmed it was a fault with their equipment I had the full call refunded.

dudedude
03-09-2007, 16:30
This is true, I had a problem with my broadband and rang the 25p/min number. Once VM confirmed it was a fault with their equipment I had the full call refunded.

will they refund if you don't have a virgin line? My line is with BT, because Virgin = ripoff phone.

Raistlin
03-09-2007, 16:47
will they refund if you don't have a virgin line? My line is with BT, because Virgin = ripoff phone.

They (obviously) can't refund it against your BT bill, but I think (if you ask them to) they can apply it as a credit against your VM account.

alferret
03-09-2007, 17:32
Our cable modem seems to have given up. I've tried turning it off for a long period and trying again but nothing comes through. So I've hooked the router up to the set top box and this works fine.

Maybe a silly question to ask you but how many VM Braoadband services do you have at the address?
Most people, well 99.9% have only 1 connection, that is either SACM or STB.
If the STB is working then to me that would say that it is that MAC address that is registered to your account and that the MAC address on the SACM isnt, and that would be why 1 is working and the other not.

But if the SACM was working and registered to your address and suddenly stopped, then your STB started working then I would say that there has been a mix up on your account and they have regged the STB and removed the SACM.

Hope that makes sense :D

fluffychick
03-09-2007, 18:36
I really don't want to call tech support. Is there any reason why I shouldn't just continue to use the STB instead? Are there any dissadvantages?