PDA

View Full Version : Dial-up/Broadband - modem etc question.

Retrovertigo
01-09-2007, 23:58
This is no doubt a silly question, but my ex's dad has cancelled his broadband and told VM he wants to go back to dial up with them.

They have cancelled his broadband and now he is stuck with no way to access the net and VM haven't told him one way or the other how he accesses the net now. Do you connect somehow to the TV box (he is a TV subscriber with them) or should they have explained they will be shipping him a dial-up modem?

He has been sat on the phone asking me all this, plus how to get to his email, but I haven't a clue. Frankly I'm at a loss as to why anyone would go backwards to dial-up when he still uses stuff like Skype. The mind boggles, but he is the king of false economy!

Minbu
02-09-2007, 00:05
Have a look here:

http://www.virgin.net/allyours/broadband/dialup/

Marge
02-09-2007, 00:09
The dialup connection will go through his telephone line (assuming he is with VM) and they can send a dialup disk for him to register with or he can access this registration page https://autoreg.autoregister.net/ directly from his pc. He'll need the correct cable to connect his pc to the telephone line, VM don't supply any equipment for dialup.

What a step backwards for him however I know some people can't see the wood for the trees :rolleyes:

Retrovertigo
02-09-2007, 00:11
Mmm, that doesn't really give much away does it? It doesn't mention whether they send you a modem or if you connect to a set-top box for example.

He was with VM on his broadband package and I would have thought that they would have explained the process to him as to what happens when you switch down to dial-up.

edit: Ah, thanks marge, so he needs to buy himself a dial-up modem :) hahahaha - sorry, got to laugh at the silly man and his attempts to try and save a few pennies (it's not like he is short of money because he isn't).

He will be so pleased when he knows he has to spend cash. Great stuff :)

And yes I just recalled he is with Vm on his phone so could have angled for the £4.50 broadband package. This gets better and better :)

Marge
02-09-2007, 00:18
Also, it's not that cheap for dialup, if he's going for PAYG it's 3p per minute plus connection fee (6p) I think and £15 the monthly subscription

moaningmags
02-09-2007, 03:07
the dial up modem is inside his computer

dadofriel
02-09-2007, 09:24
He has been sat on the phone asking me all this, plus how to get to his email, but I haven't a clue. [/QUOTE]

By email do you mean the email account provided by VM. If so I think the account shuts when you cancel your broadband.

Retrovertigo
02-09-2007, 11:01
He has been sat on the phone asking me all this, plus how to get to his email, but I haven't a clue.

By email do you mean the email account provided by VM. If so I think the account shuts when you cancel your broadband.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I did mean his VM account. I did wonder about that and if they closed them when you closed your account. It appears not only has he shot himself in the foot, but has slit his wrists and almost managed to hang himself as well. I never cease to be amazed by his antics to save a few pennies here and how he invariably does nothing of the kind.

He complains about the speed of the net etc while on broadband, going back to dial-up will be one serious wake up call!

slowcoach
02-09-2007, 11:34
Dial-Up call cost is usually local call rate for the time of day, no telco allows you to connect free to an internet provider even if you have a free local calls package, as far as I am aware.
The first phone bill will convince him of his mistake but by then he may be stuck in a contract with the service provider.
I still shudder when I think what I used to pay on Dial-Up all those years ago.

chickendippers
02-09-2007, 12:30
I don't think dial-up is on a contract; they don't give you any equipment so they don't need to tie you in to a contract to make their money back.

slowcoach
02-09-2007, 21:20
I don't think dial-up is on a contract; they don't give you any equipment so they don't need to tie you in to a contract to make their money back.
VM talk of saving £5 using DD, buyer beware....

Waitrose have a couple of options available http://www.waitrose.com/internetaccessfromwaitrose/index.aspx