PDA

View Full Version : Constant disconnections, help please!!

welshbhoy
01-09-2007, 01:26
Hi, I currently have an NTL 250 modem with a 20mb connection. I am running Win XP service pack 2.

My connection runs ok for a short while and then without warning pages cannot be displayed, mostly whilst downloading in the background. I have to turn the power off to the modem and then restart my PC, turning power back on to the modem to re-establish a connection. This happens more when I am downloading via torrents. I used to d/l up to 5 torrents at one time and everything would run ok. I now only d/l one torrent at a time and always limit the d/l speed to 250kbps, but it still disconnects.

I have contacted VM and the tech guy told me he can see I have had 26 disconnections in the past 2 months and that this is normal :mad:. NORMAL!!! what am I paying for?

It is really getting to me now, some days I have to reset up to 6 times. Tech support cannot explain or at least don't seem bothered being as it's normal behaviour.

Does anyone have any experience of a similar problem and maybe a remedy for it?

Mick Fisher
01-09-2007, 10:42
It might be because your UBR is over subscribed but post your modems snr, upstream and downstream power levels in case you have a signal problem. :)

welshbhoy
01-09-2007, 13:48
It might be because your UBR is over subscribed but post your modems snr, upstream and downstream power levels in case you have a signal problem. :)

Thanks for the reply Mick

I think I may have fixed it. I had a look at my device manager and there was a yellow exclamation mark next to my ethernet card so I downloaded the drivers and reinstalled them. I left the pc on with the torrent running at about 4am this morning and it's still connected.

I'm hoping that's it sorted :erm: keeping my fingers crossed.

How do I get to check my modems SNR ?? and the upstream and downstream levels anyway? I wouldn't' mind a look for curiosity's sake.

xpod
01-09-2007, 14:47
ow do I get to check my modems SNR ?? and the upstream and downstream levels anyway? I wouldn't' mind a look for curiosity's sake.

Type http://192.168.100.1/ in address bar

Use "root" for user & passsword to login.:)

welshbhoy
01-09-2007, 18:29
Type http://192.168.100.1/ in address bar

Use "root" for user & passsword to login.:)

I'm sure that's going to make a lot of sense to someone, but me WHOOSHHHHHHHHH :dunce:

An interpretation of that info would be nice :D

Cable Modem Downstream
Downstream Lock : Locked Downstream Channel Id : 4 Downstream Frequency : 402750000 Hz Downstream Modulation : QAM256 Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360.537 Ksym/sec Downstream Interleave Depth : taps32Increment4 Downstream Receive Power Level : 2.9 dBmV Downstream SNR : 38.5 dB

Cable Modem Upstream Upstream Lock : Locked Upstream Channel ID : 3 Upstream Frequency : 34000000 Hz Upstream Modulation : QPSK Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec Upstream transmit Power Level : 46.0 dBmV Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

colirv
01-09-2007, 20:05
An interpretation of that info would be nice :D
You open your browser (IE, Firefox, whatever) and in the space at the top where you type the URL of wherever your browsing to (e.g. http//www.thinkbroadband.com) you type "http://192.168.100.1/" and hit your return key. It'll come back and ask you for a username and password - both, as I understand it, are "root" (without the ").

dunno
02-09-2007, 13:48
hey welshboy just to let you know you are not the only one with that problem i am constantly losing connection and have to reboot modem

Mick Fisher
02-09-2007, 13:51
Cable Modem Downstream
Downstream Lock : Locked Downstream Channel Id : 4 Downstream Frequency : 402750000 Hz Downstream Modulation : QAM256 Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360.537 Ksym/sec Downstream Interleave Depth : taps32Increment4 Downstream Receive Power Level : 2.9 dBmV Downstream SNR : 38.5 dB

Cable Modem Upstream Upstream Lock : Locked Upstream Channel ID : 3 Upstream Frequency : 34000000 Hz Upstream Modulation : QPSK Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec Upstream transmit Power Level : 46.0 dBmV Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2
Your signals look OK! :)

amateurfool
03-09-2007, 14:02
This happens more when I am downloading via torrents. I used to d/l up to 5 torrents at one time and everything would run ok. I now only d/l one torrent at a time and always limit the d/l speed to 250kbps, but it still disconnects.

Try limiting your upload. Maxing your upload bandwidth will kill anything else you try to do, the upstream requests cannot get through.