PDA

View Full Version : Intl calls via Telesavers - scrambled?

Chalky
31-08-2007, 21:06
I use Telesavers www.telesavers.co.uk to make international calls to my family when they go abroad. Normally to Cyprus.
I'm sure just over a year ago the service worked perfectly ok, but in February I tried to get hold of my parents in New Zealand when they went on vacation.
I tried several times but after connecting I couldn't hear anything.
So I assumed the number to New Zealand was faulty.
The following day I tried and it failed and then I rang without using the telesavers number and it worked. Strange but maybe a one off?
I then tried in March to Saudi - same thing.
and now to Cyprus again this month...
Again after getting connection tone I dialed the number I wanted and again nothing. On my third attempt I thought I could hear something at the other end. So I called without using the telesavers and I got straight through and a perfect line.
I asked my parents if the phone was ringing before and it was, but they couldn't hear me. It seems that the line was scrambled!
Does anyone know if VirginMedia scramble these discount lines so that you are forced to call at their rates? Similar cases have happened in Cyprus with their phone provider, Cytanet. After complaints the scrambling stopped.
Now I call and then my parents have to call me back. It's ludicrous!

Rapid Dr3am
02-09-2007, 19:31
Numbers are not scrambled on the network, please contact the calling card company for support.

Stuart
02-09-2007, 19:39
Does anyone know if VirginMedia scramble these discount lines so that you are forced to call at their rates?

As it says above, VM don't scramble numbers. If they want you to stop using a number, they can just block it. No need to bother scrambling it.

Chalky
06-09-2007, 13:04
Thanks for the update.
It worked for the first time in ages last night! :D
Either it's a flakey service (Telesavers) or I'm just unlucky.