PDA

View Full Version : Problem getting a Sky+ box up and Running!

Pikem4n
31-08-2007, 20:21
Hello folks

I've just got a 2nd hand pace sky+ box given me today so i thought i would start it up to see if it would work- i connected it up correctly and all i got was the red stand by light which came on for a few seconds than the light went off, there is slight "whirring" noise coming from the system and there is light ommitting itself from the optical output on the back, apart from that it seems as dead as a dodo!

Just wondering if anyone might know what the solution could well be?, there must be power going to it (because of the light from the optical output) and the noise from deep within the system and i was wondering if the HDD was at fault would the system fire up at all?

Hope someone can help

Cheers from gaz

v0id
31-08-2007, 21:02
I was under the impression that Sky+ doesn't work with Freesat anyway :/

zing_deleted
31-08-2007, 21:05
It shoudl switch on and say either no card or wrong card and you call sky to get whatever card tied to the box, BTW my bro has my old box(sky+) and card and that has basic channels on it.
Press the power switch on the box and if nothing happens sound fubared. You say its correctly set up please give details

Tezcatlipoca
31-08-2007, 21:09
I was under the impression that Sky+ doesn't work with Freesat anyway :/

It does, but you need to pay the £10/month Sky+ sub. if you want to actually make use of the Sky+ features.

No Sky+ sub... the box will still work, but just as a standard Digibox.

piggy
31-08-2007, 21:35
if you pay for any sky package including the £15 basic the sky+ wil work they no longer charge the £10 fee

Pikem4n
31-08-2007, 21:43
It shoudl switch on and say either no card or wrong card and you call sky to get whatever card tied to the box, BTW my bro has my old box(sky+) and card and that has basic channels on it.
Press the power switch on the box and if nothing happens sound fubared. You say its correctly set up please give details

Well for starters i am home appliance/ Home A/V installer and i install tv's with my eyes closed so i am 100% sure with my 12 years in the trade that it's connected correctly ;)

When i switched on i got nothing on screen no wrong card or even no signal being received -infact there is not video signal on screen (i.e no blue screen) as i said before the power light comes on, but goes off after a few seconds, and i know how noisey the sky+ boxes tend to be but this is very quiet, sounds like the HDD is trying to fire up but nothing happens, so would the sky+ box work even if the HDD was not working- or is there somekind of software built in making the system idle if the hdd was dead???

Tezcatlipoca
31-08-2007, 21:46
if you pay for any sky package including the £15 basic the sky+ wil work they no longer charge the £10 fee

Yep, but with Sky's Freesat, you still have to pay the £10/month Sky+ sub., as you're not paying for a TV package.

zing_deleted
31-08-2007, 21:47
Well for starters i am home appliance/ Home A/V installer and i install tv's with my eyes closed so i am 100% sure with my 12 years in the trade that it's connected correctly ;)

When i switched on i got nothing on screen no wrong card or even no signal being received -infact there is not video signal on screen (i.e no blue screen) as i said before the power light comes on, but goes off after a few seconds, and i know how noisey the sky+ boxes tend to be but this is very quiet, sounds like the HDD is trying to fire up but nothing happens, so would the sky+ box work even if the HDD was not working- or is there somekind of software built in making the system idle if the hdd was dead???

well they do not work if there is no hard drive.My old box has a faulty unformatted hdd in and works as a single tuner.

Without knowing you personally I had no way of knowing your experience ;)

Pikem4n
31-08-2007, 22:37
well they do not work if there is no hard drive.My old box has a faulty unformatted hdd in and works as a single tuner.

Without knowing you personally I had no way of knowing your experience ;)

LOl no worries man you were not meant to know ;) :D , sounds like this sky+ box i have is going to be used as a paperweight, i did have a green light when plugged only into the mains just to see if i got any response from it, but i unplugged it then put the sat cable in then, then the scart and then the mains again, the red light came on then after 5 seconds it went off.

I might try to open it up and see if i can do owt with it, if not i'll just go back to my ordinary freesat sky and freeview boxes