PDA

View Full Version : I can't get cable

skip0pot2mus
31-08-2007, 11:10
Oh my word,
[Hello, newbie]

I called Virgin Media in May, asking if I could have Cable, they told me it was not available in my area, but to call an automated number and leave my details, an engineer would be in contact within 10 days.
A month later I left my details again.......

Okay, so there is Nynex in my road, there is a green junction box on my garden wall, my next door neighbours have Cable.

I wrote a letter stating this in July...

August 1st, I received a letter from Virgin [automated] saying they were sorry I was unhappy, someone would be in contact within 15 working days.
Monday, I received a call from customer services, clearly they had not read my letter, as they transferred me straight to sales who told me to call the automated number...argh!

So I called customer services again today, quoting the reference number on the letter "we don't use those numbers sorry" asking if someone could come round, lay a cable from the road to my flat [15 metres??]

"Oh" said the lady "you need NTL installations, I'll transfer you through"

Finally I thought I got somewhere, until the lady I spoke to said that I Virgin Media was not available in my area, I asked if this was NTL installations, she told me it was Virgin customer services!!! ARGH!

Why does nobody understand me?! All I want is for an engineer to come round and hook me up with cable, I want to pay for their services!!!

Please, does anyone have any advice, real telephone number, email address to contact in order for me to get a definitive answer, I'm going spare here.

Many thanks and have a nice day.

Matt

awibble
31-08-2007, 12:34
does your neibour have ditial or analogue cable?

I personally would call sales as if you where going to order it, when they tell you that you carnt have it, tell them, that your neibour has it, and that you have a cable box right infront of your house. They should be able to send someone to do a survey to see if you can have it.

Chris
31-08-2007, 12:37

I personally would call sales as if you where going to order it, when they tell you that you carnt have it, tell them, that your neibour has it, and that you have a cable box right infront of your house. They should be able to send someone to do a survey to see if you can have it.

So they should. But they won't, because the OP has been on to them several times already and they have failed to do so so far.

I don't know what the answer is here - are there any staffers on the board who are able to get the local networks bod to make a check on the address?

skip0pot2mus
31-08-2007, 12:38

I've already called them, they look up my postcode and say I can't have it.
I've told them that there is a box outside my house, and my neighbour has Digital I'm sure. No engineer has ever been sent and the service team deny that they can send anyone at all. They simply say no. Twits..Worst customer service I have ever seen, they just don't care.

Chris
31-08-2007, 13:03
It's the 'computer says no-ooohh' attitude. :grind: For whatever reason, your postcode has been left off the database. It could be that your house has a different postcode to your neighbour, and that generally the houses within that postcode are 'off net', in which case your house is showing as unserviceable even though it's right next to the junction box. Are there other boxes further up your street, or any evidence of the pavements being dug up?

---------- Post added at 13:03 ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 ----------

Thread moved to installation issues

skip0pot2mus
31-08-2007, 13:20
Yes the pavements have been done, right next to the BT ones ;)

nicke261192
31-08-2007, 14:22
Oh my word,
[Hello, newbie]

I called Virgin Media in May, asking if I could have Cable, they told me it was not available in my area, but to call an automated number and leave my details, an engineer would be in contact within 10 days.
A month later I left my details again.......

Okay, so there is Nynex in my road, there is a green junction box on my garden wall, my next door neighbours have Cable.

I wrote a letter stating this in July...

August 1st, I received a letter from Virgin [automated] saying they were sorry I was unhappy, someone would be in contact within 15 working days.
Monday, I received a call from customer services, clearly they had not read my letter, as they transferred me straight to sales who told me to call the automated number...argh!

So I called customer services again today, quoting the reference number on the letter "we don't use those numbers sorry" asking if someone could come round, lay a cable from the road to my flat [15 metres??]

"Oh" said the lady "you need NTL installations, I'll transfer you through"

Finally I thought I got somewhere, until the lady I spoke to said that I Virgin Media was not available in my area, I asked if this was NTL installations, she told me it was Virgin customer services!!! ARGH!

Why does nobody understand me?! All I want is for an engineer to come round and hook me up with cable, I want to pay for their services!!!

Please, does anyone have any advice, real telephone number, email address to contact in order for me to get a definitive answer, I'm going spare here.

Many thanks and have a nice day.

Matt
What happens if you try putting your postcode in here
http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/availability/check-availability.do
then click your house number and see what it says

skip0pot2mus
31-08-2007, 14:58
It says I can have tv etc but non-cable.

Ha, just got off the phone to a sales rep [foreign]
I asked if I could have an installation survey on my property as I wanted cable.
She told me I couldn't have a survery done until I was a customer and have a service with VM! I said I didn't think she understood what I was implying, and she just said sorry you cannot have one until we provide a service to you. lol

next step.

---------- Post added at 13:58 ---------- Previous post was at 13:37 ----------

Just spoke to a guy at non-cable customer services, he said they have cable-spotters, and usually have lots of engineers surverying properties, he then transferred my call to sales, who transferred it to non-cable sales, who then told me that they don't send out engineers to lay cables anymore. So effectively I'm back at the beginning!! ha.

Chris
31-08-2007, 15:25
Sheesh. :rolleyes:

Stuff it. Get BT and Sky.

skip0pot2mus
31-08-2007, 15:40
They're more expensive though. I'm tempted to write another letter but considering they didn't read the first one it makes me want to cry.. heh.

signori
31-08-2007, 15:56
my friend has the same prob...............Cable all around her but shes not ont` data base so tuff.

Unbelievable attitude.

Chris
31-08-2007, 16:16
Sometimes you're lucky and you get someone on the line who is prepared to go the extra couple of millimetres required to get the installs people to do a survey.

Other times, you're not. :(

skip0pot2mus
31-08-2007, 20:03
9/10 of the people I've spoken to denied any existence of such a survey.

Unfortunately the only male I spoke to had... true.
He was in non-cable customer service, even after he had explained this to cable sales and then transferred me through, the lady said I could have broadband down my BT line! I told her I wanted the whole shebang.. Oh no.

busboy125
31-08-2007, 22:01
9/10 of the people I've spoken to denied any existence of such a survey.

Unfortunately the only male I spoke to had... true.
He was in non-cable customer service, even after he had explained this to cable sales and then transferred me through, the lady said I could have broadband down my BT line! I told her I wanted the whole shebang.. Oh no.

I take it your neighbour is in the same road as you, if so, have you given his postcode in with your house number and seen what address comes up. Might be worth a shot!!

skip0pot2mus
01-09-2007, 09:52
That is what I just thought as I woke up. heh.

---------- Post added at 08:21 ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 ----------

According to VM postcode check their postcode is in the cable area, so now how do I change one letter of my code, but still get the right address, as that code only applies to that block of flats :)

---------- Post added at 08:52 ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 ----------

Okay, just spoke to sales, my address isn't on their system, so I pushed it a little and the lady said that she will pass it to the "spotters" dept who will send an engineer out within 5 working days, if I don't hear anything by the end of next week, I am to call back asking for her, and she will escalate it to a property managers something or other...

Finally, someone who knows what they are talking about..

Chris
01-09-2007, 09:53
Aha, hang on ... who lives in the flats, you or your neighbour?

skip0pot2mus
01-09-2007, 14:07
Both are blocks of flats, sorry, I live in a flat. :)

Chris
01-09-2007, 23:06
Aha.

Which is probably why they won't cable you. They don't want the hassle and work involved in getting the cable into the flats. Your neighbour's building was probably cabled up back in the days when there was money available for doing that sort of thing.

skip0pot2mus
02-09-2007, 19:27
Aha.

Which is probably why they won't cable you. They don't want the hassle and work involved in getting the cable into the flats. Your neighbour's building was probably cabled up back in the days when there was money available for doing that sort of thing.

It's not the fact that they don't want to do it, it's the fact the 95% of the staff denied any existence of the spotters dept and insisted that there wasn't cable in my area. It boils down to a combination of bad staff training, and lazy staff who have no incentive to provide any standard of customer service.

If I was a service advisor and someone came to me with the issues I have, I would strive to get them cable, or at least an engineer out to asses it.
Total crap VM are.

Marge
02-09-2007, 19:42
*big sigh* It used to be so simple. Fill in a form that was available on the intranet. It would go to the fella who would either get the details onto the database or send it to the "planning" people who would check on their plans whether an address was serviceable or not and if they weren't sure they would send someone out to check.

Turnaround on this was about 48 hours and it would be sorted one way or the other.

This is something that usually customer services wouldn't deal with, the sales advisor is the first point of contact for people wanting services and they should be able to resolve.

skip0pot2mus
03-09-2007, 09:34
In an ideal world, or perhaps just another company.
I spoke to several sales people, they didn't have a clue.

cabledNot
03-09-2007, 19:45
Hi -
VM are completely useless at training their customer service staff.
I've been battling for 9 months to get cable services. There is a CATV junction box just to the right of my driveway and other neighbours have cable installed. I've explained this to VM but get the same old answer 'computer says no'. On VM website, the postcode and housenumber lookup for serviceable area - says I can get all services but VM tell me this is an error. Hmmmm - well get it corrected it then!
No other information apart from 'property unserviceable' is all I get from an apparent 'pre-install' check. This has happened to me again today after being told the services were available last week.
To add insult to injury - an hour after being told 'No' - I got a text message from VM to tell me that I need to be available tomorrow for an installation!
I was told this is an error on the system and I shouldn't have got a text.
After spending an hour on the phone this evening, I've been told that I can demand a visit from the 'manager' at the installs team to explain in full detail, why I cannot get services.
Apparently, there is no direct number for this Installation team but it's odd how customer services can get through to them.
For anyone waiting or having a headache with VM installations - I would suggest demanding a full report on their findings after the survey. I'm told by a source that sometimes they can't be bothered to do the 'drilling, tunnelling, digging' etc that's involved.
Good luck.

signori
03-09-2007, 20:21
my friend has signed up with talk talk...................end of.....job done.
Another a/c lost.

Spitfire12
03-09-2007, 20:46
my friend has signed up with talk talk...................end of.....job done.
Another a/c lost.

You Must be joking...

TDay
04-09-2007, 17:45
I had the same problem, but found that they had our house down under the wrong postcode! I only discovered this from seeing the address window on a Virgin Media letter sent to a previous tenant. Wonder if that's the problem...

skip0pot2mus
08-09-2007, 12:48
Ha, I spoke to a lady called Beverly last week, she told me she would have an engineer visit within 5 days, and that I would receive a call, if I didn't hear anything, I was to call back at the end of the week [today] and ask for he, she would escalate it to a "property manager claim".

So I called this morning, couldn't get hold of Beverly, was transferred to "non cable" sales when I explained what Beverly had said, then I was transferred back. I explained to them what Beverly had said, and they told me they don't know what a property manager claim was. I asked if I could speak to a manager, they said they won't be able to do anything for me. I can't write a letter, speak to a manager, nobody can leave notes on the computer system, talk to installations, NOTHING. The company is a total farce. I can't even get a managers email address.

What to do.. heh, kill 'em all.

---------- Post added at 11:48 ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 ----------

Thinking about it, I bet when I left my details with the automated number they took one look at the postcode and didn't bother coming out, I may well call again and leave next doors postcode...what's the number again?;)