PDA

View Full Version : I hope Virgin Media don't go down this route

wtaylor82
29-08-2007, 19:34
BT have introduced an increase into there setup charge (which replaced the minimum call charge of 4.5p). This charge was 3p but is to now be increase to 6p

On top of this mobiles calls will no longer be charged in timebands e.g. Daytime, Evening and Weekends, these will be replaced by Daytime and Evening.

While the consumers things they have a better deal of getting a lower rate for mobiles in-fact there will be a substain increase in rates applied.

Also take into consideration that billing is done by the minute rather than second now.

Scenario: 3 minute 30 secs call to a 02 Mobile. Timed at 3.30pm on Sunday

Old rate Example:

Weekend rate is 4.5p
Rate = 0.03 + (0.045 * 4) = 0.21

New Rate example:
Daytime rate is 7.8p
Rate = 0.06 + (0.078 * 4) = 0.372

This is an increase of 16p.

Ain't these people nice.

Hope this was useful

saabmania2
29-08-2007, 22:41
that is a discusting increase approx 75% i don't think virgin would follow

sollp
29-08-2007, 22:53

Can this be saved for later embarrassment;).

NTLVictim
29-08-2007, 22:59
Screenshot taken.

wtaylor82
30-08-2007, 08:28

I would of thought virgin will follow play. They did with the per minute rounding.

BT have now increased it again, Carphone are following suit, along with another few providers.

This is a very easy way to increase revenue.

Magilla
03-09-2007, 17:06

Weird, judging by the broadband changes since VM came into existance I'd say that VM will *almost certainly* implement something similar!

"A way to extract more money for the same or less service than is already in place" seems to be VM's new mantra....

progers
03-09-2007, 22:11
Virgin already charge 6p connection for any call made outside of your package. Example, if you are on Talk evening and weekends (or whatever it's called now) you pay 6p connection charge during the day. This has been since march

[darren]
06-09-2007, 16:06
Saw this today...
Virgin Media reverts to dinosaur call rounding days (http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=42182)

CUSTOMERS of Virgin Media have received a note saying that from October the 6th, it will charge calls on a minute rather than a second basis.

Is this true? I can only assume they want to push customers away...

m419
06-09-2007, 19:38
Err weren't Virgin Media the first to introduce such charges????

On Telewest between 2003 and 2006, the following were increased/introduced:

Local cable to cable calls at week evenings: Moved to 2p per minute and now 3p per minute plus a 6p connection charge. This was initially just 6p per call an hour and in the mid-90's was completely free!

Calls to landlines at evenings: Virgin Media are charging 3p per minute formerly 2p per minute to call landlines at week evenings plus a 6p connection charge. BT charges 5.5p per call for a whole hour! So a 30 minute call to a landline on Thursday night would cost 96p with Virgin Media whilst it would cost just 5.5p with BT.

One flat rate was introduced to calling mobiles and the only new timebands were Day,Evenings and weekends. They did use to charge a seperate rate per network. All calls incurr a 6p connection charge.

Oh! and to call 0844 and 0871 numbers look out for Virgin Media's 12p connection charge! They used to charge 6p connection charge for all sorts of calls but for certain 08 and 09 numbers, they sneakily increased the charges thinking that nobody would know.

Virgin Media really needs to shape up because Free weekend calls seriously doesn't win BT customers, BT charges just 5.5p per call for an hour for weekend calls which is nothing really. Even telephone packages are more expensive than BT by £2 to £3.