PDA

View Full Version : new build house help!

maix27
28-08-2007, 15:31
Hi guys, I've just moved into a new house, and i'm having a nighmare getting any sort of connection to the outside world.

The guy who built the house decided to not even get a BT land line installed!

My other problem is it's off street, down a private road...

I need some help, basically, i want to get Virgin media cable broadband (and possibly TV too) sorted out. The house is situated next to a business centre and a row of houses with VM cable..

But my house's postcode is not showing and there has recently been a new drive laid...

Things are not looking good.

VM have said 'no' so far... will they crack under pressure??

Are there any other companies who would lay the cable?

I don't really want to get ADSL because it's pants, and i'll have to pay instalation, will any one give me a phone line without paying for instalation???

Cheers for any advice!

Impz2002
28-08-2007, 15:36
To be honest if there isnt already a cable passing your house its very unlikely they would connect you. It will cost VM quite alot to run an additional cable to you and the money they will make from you as a customer will be far less than the cost of running an additional cable to your house. how many new houses are there ? as if there is a few and your neighbours are also interested in getting cable you may be able to persuade them that way.

But if you want my opinion i think you will need to go down a Sky / BT route.

Cheers

Impz :)

Aragorn
28-08-2007, 15:53
Any unsecure wireless access points in the business centre? :D
Sounds like the builder was skimping on costs - in hindsight it would have been better to make laying a cable of some sort a condition of sale.
As it stands, someone is going to have to pay for a cable to run from the street to your house, and I doubt BT or VM will pay for it. :(
VM will usually bury their cable under the lawn/earth rather than dig up a drive if possible.

maix27
28-08-2007, 16:52
The house in front of us has VM, would they run a line from their connection around the side of their house and down to us? it's about 10ft...

I've loked for unsecure wireless, not a drop, which is annoying!!

Chris
28-08-2007, 17:01
Hell will freeze over first.

Your only slender hope - and it is extremely slender - is to try to identify the local network manager and negotiate directly with him. If you negotiate wayleave with your neighbour and offer to dig some ducting in yourself, which they can pull a cable through, then maybe, just maybe (I speculate), he'll go for it.

You stand absolutely no chance of getting anyone in a call centre to take your case seriously.

garybuk
28-08-2007, 17:27
Putting cables between houses, unless its fibre is a very bad idea!!

Basically the power for your houses are sitting on different phases and potentials, if there's a fault at either property that lovely little cat5 cable becomes a nice path for the electricity to run along :)

Also lightning will laugh in the face of a pvc sheething, u'd have to bury or ground-to-earth the cat5, and use shielded cable / armoured trunking.

Could ask a nice neighbour to put a wireless point in their window and point a wireless bridge at them, but then your breaking Virgin's T&C's

BT have a social obligation to provide voice within reasonable conditions, sounds like you can drag them out for the £50 connection charge? you'd have to look into it.

handyman
28-08-2007, 17:42
FYI, Virgin do not use cat5 or Fibre to the house. As for the different phase of electricity one would image that has little bearing on things as each Virgin distribution cab server a hundred or so houses so their wiring already covers areas with differing phases. I would imagine that you need to get through to the installs department. Perhaps sending an email to one of the admins or moderators on this forum will allow them to send it to their Virgin contact who may be able to arrange a call from the local installs manager with a site visit to see if anything is viable.

You did not say which area you are located in. If it is Teesside then I'm fairly sure there is still installs based at Preston Farm Stockton. I'm sure the receptionist would be able to arrange a meeting with he right person.

garybuk
28-08-2007, 17:59
FYI, Virgin do not use cat5 or Fibre to the house. As for the different phase of electricity one would image that has little bearing on things as each Virgin distribution cab server a hundred or so houses so their wiring already covers areas with differing phases. I would imagine that you need to get through to the installs department. Perhaps sending an email to one of the admins or moderators on this forum will allow them to send it to their Virgin contact who may be able to arrange a call from the local installs manager with a site visit to see if anything is viable.

You did not say which area you are located in. If it is Teesside then I'm fairly sure there is still installs based at Preston Farm Stockton. I'm sure the receptionist would be able to arrange a meeting with he right person.

If you read, he was asking about running a cable to his neighbours around the house!

handyman
28-08-2007, 19:30
If you read, he was asking about running a cable to his neighbours around the house!

Yes I did read what he said. Around the house. As in outside tacked to a fence, buried etc.

VM (or at least the ntl part of them) have done this sort of installation before if the drop cable has sufficient signal to be split.

maix27
29-08-2007, 09:15
so basically, if i can get in touch with someone at VM instalations who cares (!), i might be abole to persuade them to at least have a look and to see what they can do.

My best friend who i live with is an engineer, so that's quite helpful, but the neighbours who's cable we'd be stealing don't like our landlord (he's been building out the back of their house for months now!)

I looked today, the green box is only just outside our drive way, and we have a huge structural wall running down one side... i will take some pics tonight to see what people think.

Thanks for all the advice guys, nice to find such a friendly forum!

FYI: I'm in Brighton...