PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded to 20mb - speeds worse then 10mb!

Logan
28-08-2007, 15:22
Just checked my NTL/Virgin modem's stats and it appears I've been upgraded to 20mb (from 10mb) now (in Northampton, one of the last to be done).

However doing several speed tests the results are showing up as anything from 3mb to 6mb max! When I was on 10mb I was getting results no lower then 8mb but mostly 9mb+.

There appears to be not much change to my download speed, maxing out from newsgroups at around 1100 KB/s.

So what's the deal here!? A friend of mine had a similar problem, spoke to Virgin, and they tinkered with something and now all is well. He's getting true 20mb.

Any suggestions please? Thank you.

Impz2002
28-08-2007, 15:32
Hi,

it seems to be that when area's are first upgraded they are pretty slow. my advice is to wait and see how it pans out over the next week or so. i had the same issue when i first got the upgrade but 2 weeks later there was some network matinence carried out that sorted out my speed problems. also try downloading from a good source like microsoft or virgin gamefiles and see what your actual transfer speed is. That is a much better measure of performance rather than trying speedtests which are often poor reflections of actual connection speed.

Also download Free download manager from
http://www.freedownloadmanager.org

Set it to connect with 20 threads per download. this helps me max out my connection almost all the time !

hope this helps,

Impz ;)

rizzla
28-08-2007, 15:38
tweaks u can do to optimise xp for 20mb =

If you're on 20Mb but only getting 10 either with or without a router you might want to look here http://www.virginmedia.com/help/20mb-broadband-optimisation.php.

It made my speeds jump from 10 to 14Mbps and that's through a SB4100, now if only my new modem would turn up...

what modem u got ?
originally vm said ntl home 100 was capable, this has changed, link is here =

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/existingcustomers/faster/current_service.html

btw im northampton nn4, i got the new 255 modem now, have done the tweaks = 12.5mb.
guy at retentions dept says upgrade wont be complete until end of sept for northampton.

Logan
28-08-2007, 16:07

what modem u got ?

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/existingcustomers/faster/current_service.html

btw im northampton nn4, i got the new 255 modem now, have done the tweaks = 12.5mb.
guy at retentions dept says upgrade wont be complete until end of sept for northampton.

Ah interesting. I'm NN4 too. I've got the NTL250 modem. I suppose theres no harm in me giving it till end of September. In the process of moving across to the other side of East Hunsbury anyway, so by the time were in hopefully I'll have had Virgin in to install at the new property with a 255 modem.

Thanks for the advice/help.

Stuart
28-08-2007, 16:23
The only difference (apart from case colour and logo) between the 250 and 255 is the 255 lacks a USB port.

Pyr0
28-08-2007, 16:44
pfff, i've been on 20M for a couple of weeks now and still get crap (worse than when i was on 10M from NTL) speeds. i've just started a download (with 20 threads) and i'm getting around 900K ish

i still haven't tried phoning virgin as i'm worried about call charges, being able to understand the other person, and just being fobbed off :(

Logan
28-08-2007, 16:56
The only difference (apart from case colour and logo) between the 250 and 255 is the 255 lacks a USB port.

Oh!

So the 250 should cope with 20mb just fine then.

Hmm. I'll give it a few weeks see if things iron themselves out, then think about calling India.

clanelliott
28-08-2007, 19:32
I went up to 20meg but the actual speed was 8meg if i was lucky, checked the VM website and upgraded the modem to a Ambit 255HQ, the speed is on ave 17meg but there is a cap between 4pm-12midnight

slowcoach
28-08-2007, 21:05
Hmm. I'll give it a few weeks see if things iron themselves out, then think about calling India.
You might as well call our cat, it will be less irritating for you.

I was downloading last night at 8Meg, at exactly 1.30AM the download speed shot up to 19Meg, that was after putting up with 512K all day up to the curfew.
VM are just trying to screw us over every which way they can.

Logan
29-08-2007, 08:39
You might as well call our cat, it will be less irritating for you.

I know...

I hate calling tech support because they treat you like an idiot, claiming it must be things like firewall or router causing the problem :rolleyes:

Does anyone know what the issue was with the NTL 250 modems and 20mb? A friend of mine said at one point they had on their website a support ticket mentioning a problem with the 250's and 20mb that they couldn't resolve.

DiscoStu
29-08-2007, 09:52
Logan,

I think it's a network problem, rather than a modem issue - I have a 250 and since the upgrade I've been getting around 5-7Mb with the odd day at 18Mb.

Call customer service (local/free) and complain - they told me that they we're having issues with the 20Mb tier and they'd give me a half price discount for three months.

Logan
29-08-2007, 10:31
Cheers DiscoStu, I'll get onto them ;)

m0rk
31-10-2007, 20:47

what modem u got ?

Ah interesting. I'm NN4 too. I've got the NTL250 modem. I suppose theres no harm in me giving it till end of September. In the process of moving across to the other side of East Hunsbury anyway, so by the time were in hopefully I'll have had Virgin in to install at the new property with a 255 modem.

Thanks for the advice/help.

Interesting - did either of you guys get any more 'speed'? I'm still kicking about low speeds and am in the same area

Thanks

Mark