PDA

View Full Version : how long dose it take for 20mb install.

albertsteptoe
28-08-2007, 15:58
Hello all im due to get installed on Monday 3rd September on the 20mb service just wanted to know how long the install takes,also what kind of speeds ill get i live in SE london Camberwell,thanks for any help.

janipewter
29-08-2007, 01:43
Depends if your house is already cabled. If it isn't, they may need to dig up your garden to lay a cable to your house from the street, then they need to install the box on your house, run the cables up through your roof/attic etc. Could take hours.

If the previous owners had Telewest/NTL services there then everything will be in place. I can't imagine it taking over 30 minutes.

Roy MM
29-08-2007, 05:38
Mine took about an hour n half iirc, just drilled through the wall for cable from outside, cut a trench (small) in my front garden to put trunking down for the cable run, then fed it through to the street cab, installed box, a phone call to activate, it was done. :D

albertsteptoe
29-08-2007, 10:38
Depends if your house is already cabled. If it isn't, they may need to dig up your garden to lay a cable to your house from the street, then they need to install the box on your house, run the cables up through your roof/attic etc. Could take hours.

If the previous owners had Telewest/NTL services there then everything will be in place. I can't imagine it taking over 30 minutes.

i have the cable in my flat already but not a white box on the wall

janipewter
29-08-2007, 14:13
You'll find that if you have the cable in your house already, you should already have the box too. That's where the cable comes from.

albertsteptoe
30-08-2007, 09:54
You'll find that if you have the cable in your house already, you should already have the box too. That's where the cable comes from.

i dont have a box in my flat, just the cable, the cable is coming in through my door, there isnt a box.

Toto
30-08-2007, 10:32
Then there is a white box somewhere in the property, or that's a real dodgy install ;)

janipewter
30-08-2007, 10:45
i dont have a box in my flat, just the cable, the cable is coming in through my door, there isnt a box.

The box won't be in your flat, it will be on the outside wall. Probably at ground floor level.

Trust me - if you have the cable, you have the box.

Graham M
30-08-2007, 11:50
Then there is a white box somewhere in the property, or that's a real dodgy install ;)

We have never had a white box - bearing in mind our install was done about 10? Years ago when it was still Cable&Wireless/Nynex, when we had Digital installed, the installer realised this and popped a surge arrestor in before the cable box.

janipewter
30-08-2007, 12:14
Technically we don't have a white box either. Ours is green. But the install was done too many years ago to remember now, and it has always been there (although it was white until some chav kicked it and broke it, so they gave us a nice new green one).