PDA

View Full Version : Ripped Off???

vm-s**ks
27-08-2007, 18:28
Ive been with Virgin Media/Telewest for a while, about 3/4 years and ive been on there 2mb and currently on the 4mb package i was relitivly fine but a friend told me about www.speedtest.net and i was shocked to find out that i was only recieving 3.3mb insted of 4, is this a minute decrease and should i be bothered telling Virgin Media or is it normal and i live in fife and im on a Surfboard 4200

And would turning to Virrgins new fibre-optic service change anything im currently on coaxial or would a newer modem change anything.

Thanks in advance.

jtfab75
27-08-2007, 18:30
3.3mb is very very good.this is normal !!!

Stuart
27-08-2007, 18:40
Ive been with Virgin Media/Telewest for a while, about 3/4 years and ive been on there 2mb and currently on the 4mb package i was relitivly fine but a friend told me about www.speedtest.net and i was shocked to find out that i was only recieving 3.3mb insted of 4, is this a minute decrease and should i be bothered telling Virgin Media or is it normal and i live in fife and im on a Surfboard 4200

And would turning to Virrgins new fibre-optic service change anything im currently on coaxial or would a newer modem change anything.

Thanks in advance.

3.3mb out of 4 is actually pretty good. Due to various reasons, you will never get the full 4mb out of the connection.

As for virgin fibre? Well, for years, the UK cable network has used Fibre to the street, then coax from the street cabinet to the house. Virgin are not changing this, and, TBH, probably won't be for years.

Hugh
27-08-2007, 18:45
It appears (imho) that you had made up your mind before you posted, going by the thread title and your nom-de-internet. :dozey:

3.3Mb/s is reasonable, but the way to test it properly is to download a large file from microsoft, which will give you a better average, and/or use Dan Elwell's Speed Test DEST (http://www.broadbandspeedtest.net/download/)

janipewter
27-08-2007, 19:08
Dan Elwell's Speed Test is the most useless I've ever seen. Look at these results:
Test 8: Download speeds from UK servers

Ideally, you should get a result of around 20480 Kb/s (higher is better)

mirrors.dedipower.com: 1596 Kb/s

This result shows serious problems with your downloads, and should be investigated.

Test 9: Download speeds from European servers

Ideally, you should get a result of around 20480 Kb/s (higher is better)

mirrors.dotsrc.org: 423 Kb/s

This result shows serious problems with your downloads, and should be investigated.

Ernie_C
28-08-2007, 09:53
Ripped Off???
vm-s**cks

Perhaps you should educate yourself about the internet before coming with such an attitude, especially since you are getting a reasonable speed as shown by one of the least reliable methods of measuring speed.

Agent47
28-08-2007, 11:41
vm-s**cks there are people on 20mbs who dont even get speeds of 3.3mbs so consider yourself lucky.

Motorman
28-08-2007, 11:53
This one has been accurate for me for a while

http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/

i got;
Download Speed: 19041 kbps (2380.1 KB/sec ) Upload Speed: 714 kbps (89.3 KB/sec )
from 20mb

eUKhost.com
28-08-2007, 12:27

Thanks in advance.

I think you are getting the best service so far so their is nothing more to complain about this.

wafer_style
28-08-2007, 16:50
A cable modem network is a shared network To put it simple , the speed of a cable modem connection varies on how many VM customers are on the same cable at one particular point of time . If you are that unhappy about your speed i would advise you to switch over to DSL Broadband ( AOL , TISCALLI , PIPEX ).

Hugh
28-08-2007, 16:53
erm, you forgot to mention that DSL speed varies by the distance from the exchange, oh wise expert on VM Broadband. ;)

Oh, and you also probably meant how many customers were subscribed to a particular UBR, rather than how many customers were using the same cable.:D

Oh, and you also forgot to mention that DSL lines have contention as well (usually 20:1 or 50:1), on the other side of the DSLAM, and since DSL pipes are different size/throughput/technology to VM Cable pipes, you are comparing apples with hamsters.

wafer_style
28-08-2007, 17:07
erm, you forgot to mention that DSL speed varies by the distance from the exchange, oh wise expert on VM Broadband. ;)

Oh, and you also probably meant how many customers were subscribed to a particular UBR, rather than how many customers were using the same cable.:D

nicke261192
28-08-2007, 17:40
I get 3959kbps down and 369kbps up on www.broadbandmax.co.uk (http://www.broadbandmax.co.uk)
I am on the Virgin Media L Broadband Package (4MB)

Link To Results: http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/results.php?t=1188319189&v=2153381

xspeedyx
28-08-2007, 17:57
I dont like speedtests i will stick to a unlimited ftp

blade85
28-08-2007, 18:10
This one has been accurate for me for a while

http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/

i got;
Download Speed: 19041 kbps (2380.1 KB/sec ) Upload Speed: 714 kbps (89.3 KB/sec )
from 20mb

yup that one does give me a good result (on 4 meg connection)

Download Speed: 4047 kbps (505.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 335 kbps (41.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Though i think my best "speed test" is actually using the news groups to get large files and see what my average speed is. Right now im getting 482kb/sec non stop, so im pretty happy with it.

wafer_style
29-08-2007, 12:29

Oh, and you also forgot to mention that DSL lines have contention as well (usually 20:1 or 50:1), on the other side of the DSLAM, and since DSL pipes are different size/throughput/technology to VM Cable pipes, you are comparing apples with hamsters.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don need to show sarcasms here mate by calling me a "WISE EXPERT" .... we r all trying to help the customer ... its an open forum for all , if you want to prove you are the best better show it off to TECHNET
or TOMCAT forums .... :dozey:

P.S : I advised him about an alternate way to get max speed , and erm , 1 particular UBR is connected to different nodes or cards ( the one i refe as "cable" ) .... utilisation issues occur on those card types or network nodes and that's when the subscribers lying on that particular node get hit by intermittent / slow speed issues .

chickendippers
29-08-2007, 12:42
<snip>
the speed of a cable modem connection varies on how many VM customers are on the same cable at one particular point of time .It also depends on the rest of the internet, i.e. once it's left Virgin Media's network...there's not much you can do about that.

Hugh
29-08-2007, 14:07
Don need to show sarcasms here mate by calling me a "WISE EXPERT" .... we r all trying to help the customer ... its an open forum for all , if you want to prove you are the best better show it off to TECHNET

P.S : I advised him about an alternate way to get max speed , and erm , 1 particular UBR is connected to different nodes or cards ( the one i refe as "cable" ) .... utilisation issues occur on those card types or network nodes and that's when the subscribers lying on that particular node get hit by intermittent / slow speed issues .

If I offended you, I apologise. :angel:

I only called you "Wise Expert on VM Broadband" because -
a) it is what your sig said :erm:
b) you actually said "the speed of a cable modem connection varies on how many VM customers are on the same cable at one particular point of time ", you said "cable", not card, or ubr, or node, or head-end; were people suppose to guess/know what you meant when you said something else. :D
c) I don't know that much about Cable/ADSL, but I know enough to know that you gave an incomplete, if not a misleading answer, so I thought the sig was amusing, and worth repeating ;)

slowcoach
29-08-2007, 17:46
I think what wafer-style meant was that VM Broadband feels like there are a lot of people on the same cable. ;)

Sirius
29-08-2007, 18:05
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your the one saying your a expert on VM Broadband. Be carefull what you wish for there are those here who would test you on that ;).

It depends on how many are on the cmts card.What type and revision of card, What modulation it employs ;)

Then of course there is the split depending on amount of 20 meg, 4 meg, 2 meg users.

There are many many reasons as to why you will not always get what you pay for with all broadband providers. Take me i get dialup speeds at broadband costs and please dont come the Well move then bit with me it dont wash :). I want cable not adsl however i want my cable to work which at the moment it is not

Yes i have tested my pc, I have optimised it. I have tried it without the router, have tried it on Linux, Vista, Windows XP. I have tested it for spywere, Virus's, I have had the area checked by Virgin and still it goes to **** at a night time ?.

So any suggestions ?

amateurfool
30-08-2007, 09:03
So any suggestions ?

Downgrade to 2Mb, get the same actual speed, and save some money.