PDA

View Full Version : Cable Modem/Windows Firewall

itsj
27-08-2007, 09:33
I run XP SP2 and IE7 with blueyonder and Webstar EPC 2100 modem.
Have recently re-installed SP2 and Blueyonder Instant Support Tool and notice that under Windows Firewall Exceptions Upnp Framework is now added and ticked.
Does Upnp need to be ticked for the proper operation of the modem? I'm a bit uncomfortable with the idea of allowing a firewall exception like this.

Graham M
27-08-2007, 09:38
Umm... no, but UPnP is really useful for some other reasons, why would you want to block it?

itsj
27-08-2007, 09:58
Thanks. I got the impression from various webpages that allowing UPnP as a firewall exception made the PC generally more vulnerable to attack unless there was a specific reason/need to enable it. Its default setting is "unchecked".

plasticjanner
27-08-2007, 10:01
You may well find more firewall exceptions getting added with windows firewall.
It's as simple as adding a registry-key and requires no prompting from the user.:shocked: Plenty programs do this when installed.
Best bit is they're just the ones you can see, some are hidden by setting the hidden flag on the reg key...
Pretty poor firewall IMO.

Graham M
27-08-2007, 11:33
It does the trick for protecting against Incoming connections, just so long as the computer isn't infected by a Trojan

plasticjanner
27-08-2007, 12:27
Not protecting against trojans is pretty bad in this day.:td:
If you really feel that windows firewall provides the protection you need then my advice would be don't run as an administrator, especially when executing programs from untrusted sources. Far too many home users have admin priviliges and end up paying the price for it.