JONTYGEE
25-08-2007, 22:03
Forums > Networking

Search forum:

Start new subject | Reply to this subject | Contact Forum Editor
[1]

jontygee
Sat, 25/08/07@12:41

I have virgin cable broadband L which is up to 4mb download. I have just bought a dell vostro 1500 with T7300 Core 2 duo processor. This has built in wireless capability. I have a motorola sb4200 modem.

I now want to go wireless using my PC in one room and my laptop in another. but am confused as to which router to get. I know I need one compatible with virgin cable, but which one. I have a 3 bedroom semi but have had a recent extension so some metal girders are built near where the router will be kept.

I have done some research but am confused as to whether I need a G, a MIMO or indeed an N router and if I buy one of the top range ones am I wasting my money as I don't understand whether my laptop and PC or broadband speed will negate the speed of the router?

I have looked at Netgear rangemax or even D-Link DIR-635 RangeBooster N 650 Router

Any help gratefully received

Nikesh
25-08-2007, 22:12
:welcome: to the forum. I have a Linksys WRT54G router and it works great around the house. :)

goldoni
25-08-2007, 22:45
Linksys are ok as I have a separate Linksys router and separate Belkin access point. I would recommend a Belkin G MIMO router as it works a little better than the standard G router.

The router should cover the area of your house. The other good point of the Belkin is it comes with a life time warranty so if it goes US they swap it out quickly.

You can also phone the company for pre sales information. In all I would give them 89% it would have been 100% if not for the 1st line tech support which is outside the UK

Hope this helps

trevortt
25-08-2007, 22:48
Netgear is the way forward..This (http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=3327&category_id=534) is a great wireless router.

goldoni
25-08-2007, 23:07
Netgear is the way forward..This (http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=3327&category_id=534) is a great wireless router.

Looks good and it's MIMO BUT it only has one year warranty. if you don't mind paying for another router if it goes US it does look good.

My Belkin access point I have had since 2001 and it does what it says on the box.

flowrebmit
25-08-2007, 23:19
As if choosing a cable router isn't already difficult enough, I'd add the requirement of bandwidth monitoring because with STM it would useful to have a way of recording bandwidth usage.

goldoni
25-08-2007, 23:23
As if choosing a cable router isn't already difficult enough, I'd add the requirement of bandwidth monitoring because with STM it would useful to have a way of recording bandwidth usage.

Have a look at this thread Link (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33619842-vm-to-remove-traffic-shaping-september.html) :)

trevortt
26-08-2007, 00:02
Looks good and it's MIMO BUT it only has one year warranty. if you don't mind paying for another router if it goes US it does look good..

It has a 1 yr warranty to return to base but the manufacturer usually has a longer one.

goldoni
26-08-2007, 00:24
It has a 1 yr warranty to return to base but the manufacturer usually has a longer one.

I had a look at the web site and could find no other info on the warranty apart for one year. Linksys have increased their warranty to two years after the first year if that makes sense.

JONTYGEE
26-08-2007, 13:05
Sorry I am being totally thick here but I was told that even with a wireless router, I would have to connect the router to my modem via an ethernet cable. Is that correct, or would I only have do to that with a wired router? Reason I ask is that the ethernet port on the back of my modem is knackered so I currently have my pc connected to the modem via usb.

So If I buy a wireless router, will I need any connections between router and modem, and modem and PC and laptop (my laptop is wireless enabled). I have looked at the wireless spec and it does say an ethernet cable is provided so what two devices does that connect??

Jon T
26-08-2007, 13:28
Sorry I am being totally thick here but I was told that even with a wireless router, I would have to connect the router to my modem via an ethernet cable. Is that correct, or would I only have do to that with a wired router? Reason I ask is that the ethernet port on the back of my modem is knackered so I currently have my pc connected to the modem via usb.

So If I buy a wireless router, will I need any connections between router and modem, and modem and PC and laptop (my laptop is wireless enabled). I have looked at the wireless spec and it does say an ethernet cable is provided so what two devices does that connect??

You need to ring VM and get your CM replaced. Your going to need a working ethernet connection on your modem to plug the router into.

Hom3r
26-08-2007, 14:02
Make sure it is not a ADSL router

goldoni
26-08-2007, 14:09
You need to ring VM and get your CM replaced. Your going to need a working ethernet connection on your modem to plug the router into.

Yup what he said, your get a nice new black one with a red Virgin badge. The new one's don't have a USB port.

You will need to pone the 25p per minute phone line, they may ask you to check a few things like re-set your modem, re-start your computer even though you know the port is US any way stay with them and they will get round to the fact your modem is US.

The point of my post is they should offer a re-fund for the phone call if not request your money back for the call unless it was you that brock the rj45 socket.

Good luck