PDA

View Full Version : Cables and Isolators

nimicitor
23-08-2007, 16:57
I want to change the white modem cable because its too thick and doesnt bend easily and the isolator as its huge and I dont need a splitter.
I opened up the box on the wall and the isolator is a VQ302LC.
Can I change this for a smaller one that doesnt have bottom ports?
I saw there was a model called VQ601 but it wasnt low current.
Would this matter?
Would it be alright to change the wire for one in maplins thats thinner and acutally bends or is it thick for a reason.
I heard that its thick so you can't bounce the signal away from your CATV device.
Is this true?
The modem and the wire from the wall are 3 foot away.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

http://www.technetix.plc.uk/products/iso.htm

Mr_love_monkey
23-08-2007, 16:59
I doubt they would be too happy with you changing the isolator....

jaycee
23-08-2007, 17:12
Don't change the cable to thinner cable. This will mess the signal up.

If you only have one tap though a VQ601 would work just as well but that should be inside your white wall plate out of sight ?

nimicitor
23-08-2007, 17:22
Whats the isolator actually for?

jaycee
23-08-2007, 18:01
It's whats called a galvanic isolator. Basically there is no direct connection between the cable from outside, and your equipment. This acts as a safety feature - should equipment in the cabinet go faulty, it reduces the risk of damage/electrocution to your equipment and you, and vice versa. Also, it prevents something called a "ground loop" which causes interference.

sollp
23-08-2007, 19:00
I want to change the white modem cable because its too thick and doesnt bend easily and the isolator as its huge and I dont need a splitter.
I opened up the box on the wall and the isolator is a VQ302LC.
Can I change this for a smaller one that doesnt have bottom ports?
I saw there was a model called VQ601 but it wasnt low current.
Would this matter?
Would it be alright to change the wire for one in maplins thats thinner and acutally bends or is it thick for a reason.
I heard that its thick so you can't bounce the signal away from your CATV device.
Is this true?
The modem and the wire from the wall are 3 foot away.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

http://www.technetix.plc.uk/products/iso.htm

The isolator you have already is an Isolator/splitter. This could be replaced as you don't need 2 devices being fed from the same outlet, also this would increase the signal levels slightly by changing it.

The cable is meant to be more rigid for a good reason, this prevents the cable from kinking and being easily damaged, if this happens it can and does interfere with the frequencies to and from your Cable Modem and or Digi STB. The cable from maplins will be inferior product, it will have air spaced dialectric instead of fam as your present cable has at present, also you will not have the correct connectors to put on the cable this will also cause problems to your service,(well you could always use the excuse that many people use, "The installer put that cable in when he installed the service", Yeah right!)

The this will lead you to getting on here slating the service that Virginmedia provide ect ect, but of course the reason why will not be given because as far as your concerned it's "There fault".

So leave alone, enjoy the service working correctly.

ladyboy
23-08-2007, 19:52
i was told for years that if i see any "skinny" air blown coax i should remove it and replace it with the "proper" 75 ohm cable.7 years later virgin now do self install kits.And guess what cable they put in the box for the customer.yep the infearier "skinny" air blown coax.so do what you will with it and if you notice any difference change it back...