PDA

View Full Version : From Wireless to an Ethernet Connection

JonMcF
21-08-2007, 14:57
Hello there,

I recently moved into a new flat and had Virgin Media installed. My flatmate had his PC connected, via a router, to the 250 Modem by an Ethernet cable and my own PC was using a Wireless Card in order to access the internet. This appeared to be working fine.

Recently I decided that I wished to install a new Motherboard into my system and thought I would take the opportunity to do a fresh install of Windows XP (Home Edition). I also decided to get rid of my Wireless Card in order to free up a PCI slot inside the computer and connect to the Router with the Ethernet cable that Virgin provided me.

When I try to go through the installation procedure now, I receive an error that claims that the Virgin Broadband Services are currently unavailable and I am unable to procede. My flat mate is now also suffering difficulties in establishing and internet connection.

Any thoughts on what could be the problem? I apologise if this has been dealt with in another section of the forum, I unfortunately have limited time at work to check and post this request.

Cheers in advance!
J

Paul K
21-08-2007, 15:08
If nothing has changed on the setup apart from you re-formatting and installing Windows again then your connection may be faulty. If your mates PC has not changed and is having problems then it's nothing that has happened to your PC that is causign the issue.
Have you rebooted the modem and or router?

southwell
21-08-2007, 15:28
You don't need to reinstall the modem, if you are already setup just plug in the network cable and run the setup wizard for windows connections to pick up the internet via LAN.
If you ran the Virgin cd again you possibly have cut out the connection although i don't know if thats possible or not.