PDA

View Full Version : Virgin slow my home www server

city-boy
21-08-2007, 13:04
I was conecting back to my Windows Home Server the other day, port 80 http traffic when I noticed that the throughput I was getting was terrible. I was conecting from a friend's house to transfer some files to his computer. He was also on Virgin Media.

The throughput and page timeouts were terrible. Becuase of this I instead created a PPTP conneciton back to my house and accessed my server from an internal IP address. I then noticed the transfers were really quick.

I can't think of anything at my end that should be causing this, so is this Virgin media limiting traffic because I'm running a personal WWW server as part of Windows Home Server?

Anyone else noticed this?

janipewter
21-08-2007, 13:13
Not sure what the problem could be. I run a Linux webserver at home and accessing it from away from home is pretty quick.

evilmonkey
21-08-2007, 14:11
I was conecting back to my Windows Home Server the other day, port 80 http traffic when I noticed that the throughput I was getting was terrible. I was conecting from a friend's house to transfer some files to his computer. He was also on Virgin Media.

The throughput and page timeouts were terrible. Becuase of this I instead created a PPTP conneciton back to my house and accessed my server from an internal IP address. I then noticed the transfers were really quick.

I can't think of anything at my end that should be causing this, so is this Virgin media limiting traffic because I'm running a personal WWW server as part of Windows Home Server?

Anyone else noticed this?

running a web server from home is against the AUP so I doubt they would limit it they would just disconnect you if they found it.

MovedGoalPosts
21-08-2007, 14:29
running a web server from home is against the AUP so I doubt they would limit it they would just disconnect you if they found it.

It's not against the AUP to run a server - check secction 7, but you do need to follow basic precautions to keep it secure. Like many other parts of the AUP, there is specific provision to restrict service if you cause excessive use of bandwidth. Virgin will not support servers, i.e. you can run them, but they won't tell you how to do it.

city-boy
22-08-2007, 09:49
Well this is Microsoft Winodws Home Server, so my guess is they will see this more and more.

AbyssUnderground
22-08-2007, 15:41
I run a server, its not against the AUP at all, like Rob says, you have to protect it yourself.

It is likely you are seeing slow speeds because the upload on cable is poor, either 22, 45 or 80KB/s ish depending on the tier you are on. Local speeds will be quicker because it will be going as fast as it can over your LAN/localhost connection. Large file transfers are a big no no with a connection this slow unless you want to wait a while.