PDA

View Full Version : Ethernet Problem?

bud28
20-08-2007, 09:08
I had to reinstall windows XP pro on my system and everything worked fine until it came to setting up my NTL 250 cable modem. I ran the installation CD (ntlworld branded not Vm) and just after it gets to the stage of confirming everything's connected correctly I get an eror message 'Network Adapter Error' it say's that it's unable to renew IP address and has (DHCP) in brackets. I have got it working through usb but whatever do i keep on getting the same message through Ethernet. It worked no problems before I reinstalled xp and I have tried it with my firewall off (windows sp2) - Anyone know why this is happening? Thanks in advance.

janipewter
20-08-2007, 09:57
You don't need to use the setup CD if you've got it plugged in by Ethernet. Just plug it in then power cycle it and it should work fine.

mrmistoffelees
20-08-2007, 10:00
Ok,

1) As above, power cycle the modem and try again
2) Is your NIC configured to use DHCP ?
3) Is your NIC installed properly ? check device manager

zing_deleted
20-08-2007, 10:02
First thing to check here is drivers. The op states new install of XP but does not say anything about drivers. Go into control panel system then device manager and see if you have anything missing

:welcome: to the forum :)

ECW_Original
20-08-2007, 10:21
I had this problem when I first had 10Mb through a SACM, and as I was told I needed to use USB, I could not get an IP at all, so after nearly 45 mins on the phone to India, it was finally sorted out, so its not just u mate :)

bud28
20-08-2007, 10:30
You don't need to use the setup CD if you've got it plugged in by Ethernet. Just plug it in then power cycle it and it should work fine.

Tried just plugging in and it in and noting happens - it doesnt autodetect like it used to. MY NIC is integrated on my motherboard but I havent checked it in device manager (im in work at the moment, but will check later this afternoon) . Do I need motherboard drivers for it maybe - dont think I had to install nic drivers last time i reinstalled xp.

zing_deleted
20-08-2007, 10:35
Its just the first thing to check :)

videodj
20-08-2007, 10:43
If you had it installed before fresh install, no need to run install disc again, just plug ethernet cable in and shoull work find. You only need to use the install disc once when it was installed.

I've only used my disc once (about 4 years agao) and have reinstalled XP or added new PC's without any problems, just plug and go.

janipewter
20-08-2007, 10:45
Again, you do not need to use the CD at all, EVER, if you're connecting by ethernet. I lost my Blueyonder CD about 4 years ago, since that time I've done countless fresh installs of Windows, and I've never needed the CD.

bud28
20-08-2007, 10:59
Again, you do not need to use the CD at all, EVER, if you're connecting by ethernet. I lost my Blueyonder CD about 4 years ago, since that time I've done countless fresh installs of Windows, and I've never needed the CD.

Nah - it wont work just plugging in, that's why i tried to reinstall via cd because last time I reinstalled xp i just plugged in and it worked

amateurfool
20-08-2007, 11:12
Nah - it wont work just plugging in, that's why i tried to reinstall via cd because last time I reinstalled xp i just plugged in and it worked

In which case, you probably need to install/reinstall the drivers for your NIC.