PDA

View Full Version : Post Code Horror

muzler
18-08-2007, 14:14
I am just in the process of moving house to find that the house I am moving to is not servicable by VM all the houses in the area are covered except for 4 mine being one of the them just seems these have a different postcode but funny thing is the cable continues in front of my house to a privite drive next door that has a different post code that is servicable I even have a black pot outside my house one of my friends used to be an engineer for NTL for 7 years he told me there is no reason that they should could not connect me, after many phone calls all I get is sorry the post code is not servicable, I would like to stay with VM but seem unable to convince them. Any help or adivice would be appreciated.

rogerdraig
18-08-2007, 15:46
keep checking here the team here seem to be able to contact people who can help :)

RUSTY
18-08-2007, 16:04
had almost the same problem myself, house number did not show on any records, local rep sorted it.

muzler
18-08-2007, 17:46
When you say local rep do you mean the guy you see in you local shopping centre.

muzler
20-08-2007, 11:33
Hi Guys a quick udate for you after another long phone call and still no joy after my first post I have noticed that the green box is also on the corner of my street and asked if they could someone to have look as I am told this is where the connection has to made but was told no if the post code was not on the system it would not be possible, on a good note I have say the VM staff that I delt with were very promt and polite through out all the conversations I have had with them, after previous experences with sky and bt do not want to use them but it now starting look like I have no choice, I may have one last go with VM just need someone to go that little further and I am sure this could be resolved.

Chris
20-08-2007, 11:47
Sounds like a classic 'computer says no-ooooh' mentality to me.

Druchii
20-08-2007, 11:56
Hi Guys a quick udate for you after another long phone call and still no joy after my first post I have noticed that the green box is also on the corner of my street and asked if they could someone to have look as I am told this is where the connection has to made but was told no if the post code was not on the system it would not be possible, on a good note I have say the VM staff that I delt with were very promt and polite through out all the conversations I have had with them, after previous experences with sky and bt do not want to use them but it now starting look like I have no choice, I may have one last go with VM just need someone to go that little further and I am sure this could be resolved.
Ask for a site evaluation from them, as you're sure it can be serviced, they may oblige if you ask nicely enough ;)

Especially if you tell them you're in between two serviceable houses and have a duct outside your house where the cabling should go.

muzler
20-08-2007, 14:42
Thanks everyone for your replies especially the VM member that PM me and checked the postcodes for me it looks like someone did not allow the cable to be laid on thier land could even be the house I have bought so it looks like I will have to ask or as the case my be beg for an evaluation and keep my fingers crossed.

RUSTY
21-08-2007, 14:17
muzler.
phoned CS and the eng. department sent a rep out, then sent an eng. out, then an install team who could not do the work as the cable had been cut by contractors digging up the road. then a supervisor who sent for a repair team then the install guys and............ every one involved was well motivated and worked hard with a first class install and it all works. V+ broadband, phone. and the best bit..... nothing to do with r. murdoch!

muzler
22-08-2007, 09:34
Thanks Rusty that has given me hope I was all ready to get the ball rolling but for reasons out out my control my house move date has changed dam those solicitors in fact must remember to phone VM and ask them not to cut me off at preasent house.

muzler
28-09-2007, 09:28
Hi guys back again house all sorted checked my post code again last night and now it tells me I am in an analoge area checked the house next door with different post full digital, any way rang VM was told no services available and after a long call asking if someone could look it it for me ended up at off net services again. I have uploaded a map of my house and the house next door and the ducting manholes ect the house next door is number 29 I have tried to keep to keep everything to scale as much as poss any one any suggestions

sprattgraham
29-09-2007, 19:55
Are you on a private road?

muzler
30-09-2007, 16:13
No the road is not private but a private road that leads off my street is and some of the houses on the private road can get services thats what is frustrating.

mojo
30-09-2007, 17:25
Just lie and give them next doors post code. When they do the install, they will just find your house by number and hook you up. If they complain your house number is not in that post code tell them their database is wrong (they get it from the Royal Mail) and you get this sort of thing all the time even though your neighbours are okay.

muzler
30-09-2007, 21:04
Not sure that would work but I have thought about it.

muzler
02-10-2007, 10:01
Has anyone managed to get a site evaluation recently? if so how please tell me how or have they replaced it with off net services every time I phone that is the only dept I get put through to no one seems to know anything about surveys and back I go to off net.

lostandconfused
02-10-2007, 11:17
theres a number for the spotters department, you leave your details in a voicemail and they'll send someone out to check your house and call you to let you know, normally within 7 days, i dont know it offhand, but will PM you it when i finish work this evening.

muzler
02-10-2007, 11:59
Thanks in advance lostandconfused

muzler
03-10-2007, 14:26
Good news guys problem sorted quick phone call toTiscali no begging required to take my money or survey TV, Broadband and Phone from 1 supplier and the bonus of sky1 and no dish just what I wanted and the basic pack starts at £19.99. I have to admit there is a few less channels but still you can not have everything. Good bye Virgin I still do not think I would of wasted your time but it looks the only time wasted was my own.

P.S Many thanks for everyones help

Chris
03-10-2007, 14:39
Another satisfied customer. Satisfied by one of Virgin's competitors that is.

I do hope someone at Virgin sees this thread, I really do. I can't see how they are going to change unless they can tackle the kind of corporate indifference that leads to them losing business over the lack of a few feet of wire and a clumsy postcode database.

icstm
04-10-2007, 17:47
I am in a similar boat, speak with a virgin rep that seems to think he can sort it, but after reading other threads, it seems that I should get the computer and TV moved in before ording all three services.

I am decorating at the moment, so I might wait.

My problems were documented here (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/62/33621393-problem-placing-order-not-sure-why.html)

muzler
05-10-2007, 13:12
Sorry to hear that hope you have better luck than me I gave up in the end keep going round in circles they just never call back put you through to a vioce mail to leave your details and yet again never call you back and for a company that is surposed to be a service provider their customer service in my opinion is very poor may be they are correct I am not in a servicable area just would have been nice to know once and far all I would of happly paid the installation charge to find out I am not having a go at the individuals on the other end of the phone they probably have targets to meet and move on to someting easier to deal with or there just isnt any incentives at all I dont know. However all that said and done I will miss their cable broadband as I think it is second to none just a pitty thier customer service isnt, the best I will get with my land line is 3-4meg if I am lucky